Conn Helleberg

MetalTones2012

What's your opinion on this mouthpiece? I've heard both good and bad things about it. I've been using one for a while without much of a problem, but recently tried a Hammond and now I'm not so sure.

In my first year of drum corps, I played on whatever I had lying around - probably a 24AW. During my 2nd season, I was given a Schilke-Helleberg (the smaller version) and liked it quite a bit. I soon bought a full size Helleberg and haven't looked back. This is the only mouthpiece I've played on for the past 25 years and have never had any issues and have never thought about trying any other - except maybe the equivalent version in stainless - like one of the Loud or Kellyberg versions.

If you're referring to the Helleberg, that mouthpiece actually has a sharper rim than Bachs which is one of the reasons it's popular for corps: a sharper rim means cleaner articulations, generally.

I've been playing on a Helleburg since I picked up the tuba over thirty years ago. I still play on one today (currently the Jet-Tone heavy version). It's also the mouthpiece I recommend to all of my students, at least initially.

If you're referring to the Helleberg, that mouthpiece actually has a sharper rim than Bachs which is one of the reasons it's popular for corps: a sharper rim means cleaner articulations, generally.

Interesting- the conventional wisdom at one time as that the squared- off Bach-style rim allowed for a better embrochure while marching and also caused less pressure on the lip when marching and didn't cut into your face.

So, the sharper/rounder rim is large enough on a tuba mouthpiece to alleviate those issues and concerns? I know for my euphonium, etc. I just personally prefer my Wick 6BY with the squarer rim. I know the rules are different for tuba in many ways.

So I'm not a super-pro tuba player or anything, but about a year ago I switched from a 24AW to a Schilke, with a thinner and squarer rim, for both concert and marching uses and it functions well for me in both purposes. Though I have been trying to get my hands on a brand-new Hammond.......

I've used a Helleberg a few times, but I always revert back to my Perantucci. I bought a used Pt-50 in 2004 from our brass caption head, Matt Stratton, and instantly fell in love with my tone on the mouthpiece. The pt-50 was a requirement for our contraline, but money was tight so he helped me out by giving me a great deal. Less than a year later I bought a brand new gold plated Pt-88 and I have to say, it would take an act of congress to get my off that mouthpiece.

Edited by Vanguard07

If you take the money you would spend on a new mouthpiece and put it into a lesson, you'll get a lot more out of it.

We are basically making a farting noise into a funnel/bowl into a woofy conical tube. The small difference in changing that funnel/bowl you are making farting noise in is negligable compared to changing the actual farting noise that the person is putting into it.