Phantom 1996

So, I was watching Phantom 1996 tonight (always a great show) and I noticed in the opener there are 14 tuba players on the field. Where did they pull the extra players from, because they join the form right around the mellophone entrance of the statement. Were they taken from other sections? I know Star did something similar in 1988, but I hadn't seen that before. Does anyone have more info on the four bonus tuba players?

• Like 3

So, I was watching Phantom 1996 tonight (always a great show) and I noticed in the opener there are 14 tuba players on the field. Where did they pull the extra players from, because they join the form right around the mellophone entrance of the statement. Were they taken from other sections? I know Star did something similar in 1988, but I hadn't seen that before. Does anyone have more info on the four bonus tuba players?

They marched 14 contras that year. The confusion may arise in the fact that 4 contras are standing in the pit area playing the opening theme with the timps. They step out of the pit and onto the field right after the horns turn around.

Yes, I distinctly remember PR's 14 member Contra section. Saw them and counted them. The year that they did the Carnival of the Animals tribute to other Corps stands out to me. Underrated overall brass section IMO.

Don't remember a delayed entrance

Wes, I don't know why anyone would give a negative on the subject other than a finger spaz

Kevin

They marched 14 contras that year. The confusion may arise in the fact that 4 contras are standing in the pit area playing the opening theme with the timps. They step out of the pit and onto the field right after the horns turn around.

Thank you. That's where my confusion came from, that they stepped out of the pit after everyone else, so I thought that they were switching from a different instrument. The 14 tubas were a nice touch to that show, weird to think it took so much longer for other corps to catch on to the expanded tuba sections, since most were on 10 or maybe 12 at the time.

I also have no idea why someone negatived you for a comment/question like that?

95-99 was 14 person contra section.

Good question, I guess some people don't like Phantom 1996, or 14 man tuba sections? But it appears someone has rectified it since the original posting.

Thanks for helping answer this question. The guys coming off the front side line was something I had never really even noticed until last night, it's weird how we do that with shows, watch them so many times, but still miss stuff.

To this day, that Fourth Ballet Suite opener is the best arranging job I've ever heard in DCI. EVER. Jim Wren's brass book is a work of art.

• Like 2

To this day, that Fourth Ballet Suite opener is the best arranging job I've ever heard in DCI. EVER. Jim Wren's brass book is a work of art.

I'd be interested to know whether the double timps and timps covering the contra part was Wren's idea or one of the percussion guys idea. That timp stuff is the icing on the cake, and the way it is done it sounds like string bass when the contras/timps play together.

I believe Kirk Gay was the front ensemble arranger that year and worked very closely with Wren, but probably only one of them could say for sure.