Why Do You Do It

Hey gang!

For a final paper in one of my college courses, we have to write a research paper on a musical tradition or topic, and I have chosen Drum Corps as the focus of my investigation.

Basically, I have a couple of important questions that I would like to hear some of your responses to!

a) What drew you to first participate in drum corps?

b) What about the activity compelled you to stay in drum corps?

c) How has drum corps impacted/affected your life in any way, shape, or form?

Thank you all! Feel free to list what corps you have participated in as well, especially if that specific corps is related to your answer for any of the above questions.

I appreciate any responses!!!

Thanks again!

JW

a) My parents made me. They had a family friend close to the corps that knew I could play, they thought it would be good for me.

b) During alldays, I decided that I would only do a year and then stop- it just seemed like hell. After finals, though, I realized I was hooked. I couldn't leave my corps family like that.

c) I marched for four years- both of my knees are shot, with my right one having some torn ligaments, and my shoulders don't enjoy life like they used to. I learned how to perform, how to look great, how to act... so many things that I would be a totally different person otherwise.

I was at a DCI directors' meeting several years ago when Dan Acheson asked the directors to each respond to the question, "Why do you do drum corps?" One of the greatest things I've ever heard about the activity was when Colts' Greg Orwoll responded, "I do drum corps because I don't know how not to do drum corps."

• Like 1

A. I joined to meet girls

B. I stayed when I quickly realized that the level of excellence I was experiencing was incredible.

C. Drum corps taught me how to push throgh what I thought were my mental and physical limits. At the same time it taught me the concept of delayed gratification that has served me fairly well in my working career.

- Went in because it was thee thing to do coming from a BOA high school band once you hit college.

- Loved it because it instilled discipline and perfection in a civilian atomsphere and depending on what corps you were in, cough cough (madison), girls were really into you which helped lol.

- If your ever involved with marching music, DCI world class was the premier and what we aspired to be its what drew me in and others I grew up with as well that were involved in other corps.

- I loved high school marching band and wanted an experience at the peak of competitive marching music. I was drawn to drum corps after participating in a clinic/open rehearsal provided by a Top 12 drum corps at a local show. Sitting in the middle of that arc was all I needed.

- I marched for a year and almost missed my age out. I came back to finish the second half of my age out and realized how much I regretted not marching. The family element, the performance element, and my favorite part: the lot. There are amazing things happening in DCI. This compelled me.

- Drum corps has made me a better performer in other idioms, taught me the value of discipline/hard work/team work, helped me understand what success feels like in any pursuit, and allowed me to develop my beyond my potential by living outside of my comfort zone. Also, I know many ways to fall asleep in uncomfortable and/or mobile situations.

A) I started playing a brass instrument and one semester of school wasn't going to cut it. At the time i started playing a brass instrument my band director started showing DCI videos to the class ( since we weren't doing anything)

B) The experience was awesome. And the people, everyone loves doing what you love doing. There aren't people in the corps that don't want to be there, that don't want to give it there all, that don't want to be out in the field as much as you do.

C) I became way more responsible. I started drum corps in my sophomore year in high school and prior to my first season of DCI my grades were terrible.

I'll first preface with saying that I did not march DCI, but only because I wasn't familiar with drum corps until I was 23. However, I have and still do march DCA and do not see myself stopping anytime soon.

A) I was first drawn to drum corps because as a recent college graduate looking for a job as a music educator I wanted to get experience in marching. I did not attend a high school or college with any type of marching program. To make myself more marketable for band teaching positions, I joined a DCA corps to gain experience for my resume.

B) I was compelled to stay in it because I fell in love with it. I love having a way to still learn and grow as a musician all the while fostering relationships with the people. It also is a great way for me to stay fit during the summer months off when I'd be tempted to be lazy. Knowing I'll have a drum attached to me all day every weekend keeps me in the gym during the week!

C)It got me a good job in a tough job market for band directors.

1) Was a Jr In High School and knew I would be attending the local Community College which only had a jazz band which didn't thrill me. Joined as a way to continue playing horn and not waste all that $$$ on private lessons. (Yeah, PA German worried about wasting money. :tongue: ) Came back 19 years after I left because I missed playing horn.

2) Joined what was called Senior corp at the time and first time with a group that had people outside of my age range (IOW older than HS/college). Corps was also rebuilding so each year we got better which helped. Hades... I had FUN!!!

3) Because I was in a group with a wide range of ages and life experiences I learned to accept people for what they are and not judge on appeariences or they being "different" in some way. Edit: Or have different opinions! Really helped when I was sent overseas for work a few times and hit "different lands/different cultures". LOL, was requested by one to come back to give training because I was the only person (out of 3) that the residents got along with.

Missed the list the corps bit :doh:

Westshoremen 74-79 (graduated HS 75)

Westshoremen 84-85 (corps reformed, asked to help out and do parades)

Hanover Lancers 04-11 (now it's a real nice hobby)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Hey gang!

For a final paper in one of my college courses, we have to write a research paper on a musical tradition or topic, and I have chosen Drum Corps as the focus of my investigation.

Basically, I have a couple of important questions that I would like to hear some of your responses to!

a) What drew you to first participate in drum corps? Saw them when I was younger and had to be in it because it looked cool

b) What about the activity compelled you to stay in drum corps? Friends and it was a learning experience every year. Gave me something to do and kept me busy and playing music.

c) How has drum corps impacted/affected your life in any way, shape, or form? I am much more sociable. I am a good music teacher because of the many instructors I learned from.

Thank you all! Feel free to list what corps you have participated in as well, especially if that specific corps is related to your answer for any of the above questions.

Royal Coachmen (NY)

I appreciate any responses!!!

Thanks again!

JW