The Loudest Hornline of 2011?

Multiple answers are allowed :)  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Which hornlines do you think were the loudest in 2011? (multiple answers allowed)

Donnie's memorable quote and those who have worked under him would agree: "Always play with your best sound. Look good, and SOUND good.

Jim Prime Jr. said almost that exact same thing to Star's contras in '92. If you listen to the snippets on the DVD you'll hear that one...

Why would you even want them to sound like Phantom? Let Madison sound like Madison. That symphonic sound doesn't fit them well.

If anything they'd sound like Crown, not Phantom...

• Like 1

TRUE Dat.

SCV will now sound like Phantom USED to sound... tongue.gif

Oh well, I'm not gonna hate! tongue.gif I'm actually excited about this season for a change...

It's my civic duty to remind everyone that volume measured by devices (ie, Physics) is totally different than what humans perceive as loud (Physiology).

Yeah, jet engines are physically loud, but who'd want to listen to them? I feel that way about some hornlines, especially in the G Bugle days.

Well said as always, Bruck'. I went to see a local production of "Phantom of the Opera," which has just been released into performance licensing for school groups. The opening of the overture, which consists of 32 or 40 measures of pre-recorded pipe organ (I'm pretty sure it's the same track you'd hear on Broadway), was cranked so obnoxiously loud that it was unpleasant, and it was a distraction when the live orchestra entered and could not remotely match the intensity of the over-amplified track . Not here to get embroiled in p*ssing match with the volume contingent here on the forum, but louder is not always, or inherently, better.

Peace,

Fred O.

Did you hear Cavaliers in '11 at all?

You realize that the style, execution, and ensemble sound has little or no correlation with that of 01-09, right? They were MUCH louder than they've been for over 10 years.

That sound was already well engrained within SCV by the time you heard Cavaliers live in '11, if you did.

This would be like saying '01 Phantom Regiment was loud, because they were loud in 96. Or saying 2001 Cadets had a great mello line because they did in 1998.

Yes, I heard the Cavaliers. Watched them from just slightly inside the 40 yard line at Semifinals and from my vantage point their was a noticable drop in volume compared to the others. I still loved them, but did not hear the same punch from the hornline as most of the other corps. I realize it's not the same brass staff as 01-09. I get that. Note also that I went even further back than that in to the 80s. I have not thought of the Cavaliers hornline as "loud" since the 80s. I might agree that they were louder last year than the 01-09 period but in my opinion, it still is not at the level of their competitors and as I said, it doesn't bother me either. I can respect and appreciate the controlled sound when done well and it was. Just my opinion. Sorry, we are going to have to agree to disagree on this. I'll let up on one thing and grant you that their decibel levels were still probably high. I think it was a result of other variables though and not the hornline, which is the context of this discussion. Not a big deal. Just an opinion.

Well, I am not too sure about this, and Mr. Felts please correct me if i am wrong, but their synth(s) players used alot of piano sounds in the show last year. I personally know of there being a "bassline" played in absences of the tubas but in terms of a synth making them sound louder than what they(we) really are: I personally think not. and Im not bashing you or anythng because you are a brother.

I wouldn't know for sure. I'm just a fan and not close enough to it. What I can say is that I did not hear what I interpreted as a lot of artificial synth volume from the few times I saw the show live.