Little-League Drum Corps

Not sure which forum this best suits, so I will take a stab at it going here.

I frequently wish I had been born a few decades earlier so that I could enjoy the sheer volume of corps that were available in the past. I hear the old timers speak of times past like they were just watching herds of corps cross the open plains.

Now I, like many, want to see more drum corps, but I do not necessarily mean more div 1. I would like to see more younger corps (think BDC) that were literally like a marching little league.

So, in a stroke of either pure genius or mild insanity, or even stupidity, I thought, "hey, why not have a little-league corps circuit". It would be localized to the communities they originate in, like little-league baseball. something like 4-8 corps "*or* marching bands of 20-30 members, more if the area supports it. Have them be active through the late spring, between when WGI and DCI are in full swing, and have them perform 3-4 shows of about 3:00 in length. They show up to the local community park with team t-shirts and ball caps, have a short contest, then break for pizza.

Dunno, just a thought.

• Like 3

Sounds like a good idea! When I marched in the 70's there were tons of corps but there were also alot of parade corps. In Western NY, we had 2 Junior corps that competed on the field (Imperial Regiment/Lakeview Shoreliners and The Royal Coachmen) but there were many parade corps...St. Johnsburg Blue Sabres, Red Raiders, Red Berets, Lake Shore-ettes, Rhythm-ettes,Shawnee Indians, 71st Lancers, The Queensmen and Buffalo Mavericks. We also had a few Senior corps...Hamburg Kingsmen, Dunkirk Patriots, Murray Hosemen, Suburban Knights. This made for great parades and standstill competitions.

Not sure which forum this best suits, so I will take a stab at it going here.

I frequently wish I had been born a few decades earlier so that I could enjoy the sheer volume of corps that were available in the past. I hear the old timers speak of times past like they were just watching herds of corps cross the open plains.

Now I, like many, want to see more drum corps, but I do not necessarily mean more div 1. I would like to see more younger corps (think BDC) that were literally like a marching little league.

So, in a stroke of either pure genius or mild insanity, or even stupidity, I thought, "hey, why not have a little-league corps circuit". It would be localized to the communities they originate in, like little-league baseball. something like 4-8 corps "*or* marching bands of 20-30 members, more if the area supports it. Have them be active through the late spring, between when WGI and DCI are in full swing, and have them perform 3-4 shows of about 3:00 in length. They show up to the local community park with team t-shirts and ball caps, have a short contest, then break for pizza.

Dunno, just a thought.

I wouldn't be opposed to standstill competitions for musicians of the age I had in mind... At most, I was thinking like 5-6 sets for 3 minutes of music.

I am thankful that we have people of all ages who are thinking about keeping the activity vitalized. However, several questions come to mind. Who will pay for this and how will it be paid for? What local organizations already exist? Is there a band program in the school system, and how far down does it reach - to age 4?

Although, when I was a kid, there were no musical activities for little kids, and I got most of my inspiration from home and going to DC competitions and Orchestra performances, it is known that experience with music at a very young age breeds intelligence. Taxpayers need to step in when music is being cut out of the system. The taxpayer needs to look at the expenditure ratio between music and sports and how many people are benefited. I don't care whether you give a four year old a kazoo and cheap drum, it benefits the child's development.

Good thought. Don't stop pursuing, and all the best for your musical development.

Kevin

I am glad to see others share in this idea. This has been my dream too, to see groups just like what you mentioned. I imagined a "little-league" version of drum corps or a "farm-team" system, where kids could learn the basics and get that drum corps experience. They could learn the ropes (so to speak) and maybe one day jump into the "big leagues"!

Our group (the Music Makers Parade Corps) is young (ages 8-16) with little to no experience yet we are ambitious! Currently, we have most of the instruments & equipment for 50+ performers (brass, colorguard, percussion and extras) with about 30 kids showing interest. We have learned to keep it simple by planning just two parades (our first is July 4th!) and then maybe a couple mini-concerts).

Kevin makes a good point. How do you pay for it all? Most of our instruments and equipment were purchased with private funding. It helps to have generous supporters and a good network (facebook.com, twitter.com, craigslist.com, etc.) to get the message out. Also, you can find good deals online if you search for them. Plus, we are using mostly 2-valved G bugles. These are getting hard to find (especially quality ones), but they can be inexpensive if you search for them. A few corps switching to Bb/F horns have made us a few deals, too. Thanks!

Eventually, our ongoing expenses (storage fees, insurance, maintenance, repairs and pizza!) will require us to do a few fundraisers. Our kids will be helping out with bake sales, car washes, candy sales, etc. to help defray the costs. That way we can continue to operate without charging our members.

Our goal is to bring the drum corps experience to more and more people. Cast as wide a net as possible. Participation in drum corps should not be only for those who can pay the heavy tour fees and commit their whole summer. It doesn't have to be that way. We are trying to provide an alternative.

Thank you all for your support!

Daniel L. Wright

Music Makers Parade Corps

Ok, knowing I am not completely off my rocker, I will gladly impart more details. First, this is just a brainstorm at the moment and has not blossomed fully, so ideas such as funding have not been explored. Here is what I have though:

I had imagined this as a single start up program in a fairly well off community. After the first year and news media interest, the idea was that it would either split into a second group servicing two separate parts of the community, or the local and surrounding areas would request and seek to have a similar group of their own, with the creation of a little-league circuit organization immediately following.

Instrumentation for the sake of young musicians would be kept to standard concert horn keys, So Bb trumpets, F Mellophones, and baritones (not sure that a young kid could lift a contra and not hurt themselves, so no need to risk it). I would keep to these keys as to not confuse or unintentionally have a negative impact on a young persons learning of the basics of their instrument for concert band. I could only imagine the lack of support if local beginning band directors called all the time with death rants about how their students are playing the wrong fingers for the Bb scale because I wanted them to play on sopranos... And of course drums and guard.

The fees for these groups would be minimal to match that of other little league activities (enough to cover minor repairs and upgrades). Performances would be kept the mid to late spring to fill the gap of WGI and drum corps, OR could take place early during the drum corps season with a few of the performances taking place prior to drum corps shows. The issue with having it overlap the drum corps season is the sudden absence of a number of instructors that are either performing or teaching DCI/DCA.

The benefits:

Earlier introduction to the marching arts

A social activity for young musicians to get plugged in to that would in some cases help to curb the "you're a bad loser" quips thrown at beginning band students

Another method to make band/music "fun" for young children

Another method of hooking corps on local communities otherwise unaware of what drum corps is

A sudden increase in the talent at local high schools

None of this is set in stone. Just a brainstorm. It could be a great idea, could be a terrible flop. Time will tell.

Daniel,

I think you're on the right track. I applaud what you are doing.

A couple of thoughts: Have you applied for grants? What grant giving organizations are there in your area? What are their criteria? Do they include music? (Don't forget music is education, so if their organization says we support education, don't assume it doesn't include music, but if they've never funded a music program before, be prepared to convince them about why music is important for educational development). I know some dos and donts in this area. Call me at 318-348-2847 if you need help.

What can you do to push down musical development to the youngest age you can? Most kids have their brains formed by age three, if not earlier, thus kazoos and cheap drums.

Don't be disappointed if you don't funnel kids into DC. You may be developing a future Yo Yo Ma. I started taking my stepson to DC competitions when he was 4. He has shown no strong interest in playing with a Corps. He plays some Cello, Piano, and Guitar. Well, so what? He's a musician. That's a success.

I would say best of luck, but it's not luck, it's hard work, dedication and knowing what you're doing. Instead:

Best wishes and high hopes,

Kevin

One only has to look at the BLUE DEVILS Program over the years as the members morph from the C Corps to B Corps etc.

There is also a video on YOUTUBE of a Japanese KINDERGARDEN Drum Corps!!! Playing cut down sized snares quads and bass drums and synthisizers doing s M&M show on a gym floor.The old saying "START EM YOUNG" has meaning here!!

I have said for many years MORE local based Community Corps should be formed BUT you don't have to go the DCI route.Nothing wrong in marching in a Parade Corps doing parades,community events supporting your local Service Clubs etc like was in our day. There could be a Standstill Class contest where you are judged on your playing. Also a Parade Class where you are judged on marching playing etc.

There is enough equipment out there ie: G horns 2 or 3 valve hell maybe even V-R now since Corps have gone to Bb and tons of drums so equipment should not be an issue. Just my thoughts

There is enough equipment out there ie: G horns 2 or 3 valve hell maybe even V-R now since Corps have gone to Bb and tons of drums so equipment should not be an issue.

I have been sourcing G bugles for the last two decades, equipping and upgrading alumni corps and startup groups.

I'd really like to know where all this stuff is you are referencing. A lot of it I know has been donated to the Field Band Foundation groups in South Africa. The Indonesian corps are snapping up every G horn they can bind. And BAA members are grabbing all the used G sopranos to use for funerals.

I just helped a parade corps being formed at a new charter school in Milwaukee. I managed to find them about 30 decent bugles from two sources. They would be real happy to find a set of lighter-weight drums.

The situation is worse in Bb/F. Sure, there are plenty of cheap used trumpets available. Mellos, there are usually a few ratty 20+yo Olds/Bach or King on eBay. After that, nothing. Marching baritones and shoulder-carried tubas are not disposed of by school districts until they are no longer serviceable.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the process of putting together a proposal for our federal Govt. in Canada re: starting "One" corps as a "Pilot Project" and proving it will not only grow and prosper but the benefits would be such that the govt. would "Sponsor" the cost of setting it up initially as a 50 member corps. With the proof in, the govt. would then "sponsor" an additional 36 corps across Canada. This would be either 12 a yr. for 3 years or the preferred method seeing 36 all the same fall. Sounds crazy right. Well Steve Jobs once said "The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones that do." We'll see. I have a scheduled meeting with my member of parliament on June 26 and the next step would be the final proposal being turned in. It's been a lot of work but might just happen. Show the govt. (In the U.S also if you really are serious)) how their "One Time" investment of 11 million to start 37 new 50 member corps can put 20 to 25 million onto the national economy "ANNUALLY" and you get their attention. Part of the program would be to document and share with all interested parties how we set up the new corps "ORGANIZATION" an a business plan to bring in the necessary funds to build it to 150, add a feeder corps of 9-12 yr olds and a third corps of 13 - 21 when the original one is ready to change its age limits to 17-21. With a lot of hard work I think this could all happen within 10 years. The new corps temporary website is at www.wix.com/truenorthdc/temp-website . It's set up now to supply information to potential new members and their parents/guardians. If you want, you can send me an email address to the one posted on the site and I'll send you additional info.

Rick

True North Drum Corps