1993 Star of Indiana is DCI DVD Spotlight of the Week

One of the most musical flag books I've ever seen. The guard that year had finally caught up to the rest of the corps !

Later,

Mike

• Like 3

It's cut off right where it starts to get REALLY good.

What a tease! Lol.

Guess I'll just have to pop in the DVD now.

• Like 1

One of my all time favorites, however in high school at the time, my adolescent ignorance said the show was boring. My reason was because the show wasn't like the Cadets or Scouts, etc with loud drum features and loud hornlines.

It wasn't until I got to college as a music major listening to Bartok and Barber did I realize what I saw on PBS a few years back. The subtly and nuance. How brilliant Jim Prime and Thomm Hannum's arrangements were. Also realizing that show was a game changer in drum corps with the body movement etc. The show is in my top 3.

• Like 3

One of my all time favorites, however in high school at the time, my adolescent ignorance said the show was boring. My reason was because the show wasn't like the Cadets or Scouts, etc with loud drum features and loud hornlines.

It wasn't until I got to college as a music major listening to Bartok and Barber did I realize what I saw on PBS a few years back. The subtly and nuance. How brilliant Jim Prime and Thomm Hannum's arrangements were. Also realizing that show was a game changer in drum corps with the body movement etc. The show is in my top 3.

You are not alone in that evolution of opinion. I aged out in '92 so that was my first finals as a spectator. I knew what I was seeing was special in terms of performance, but I too must embarrasingly admit that it still left me wanting something more at the time in terms of design. But, it is easily in the top 5 of shows that are in my rotation on ITunes now almost 20 years later. It is shocking to me now that it was the design that left me wanting at the time since that is 90% of what makes it great. I would love a time machine at my disposal to go back and watch that show live knowing what I believe to be a fact now. The fact is...It is impossible to overstate how ahead of its time this show actually was.

greatness.

• Like 2

It's cut off right where it starts to get REALLY good.

What a tease! Lol.

Guess I'll just have to pop in the DVD now.

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

i remember so many not liking Star.." IT WASN'T DRUM CORPS " It was so ahead of its time. I think all these years later it still could be extremely competitive. funny how the nay sayers from then love it now ( well many do ) :smile:

I was one of those guys. Now I can't stop watching/listening to it. I really love this show.

Unfortunately, there were fans who NEVER liked Star. That was THEIR (the fans) loss.

As Joni Mitchell sang,

"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got til it's gone."

You have every right not to believe me, but I studied those lyrics when I was writing the piece. I didn't use them because I didn't want to come off as being preachy.

• Like 1