Few Brass Spots at SOA (1 tpt, 1 tuba, 1 bari)

What this shows is how difficult it is for a top twelve corps to manage their inventory (potential brass members). If you start with 300 plus at audition camp what do you do? Brass staff wants to cut to a managable level (150) but adminstration wants to have everyone return to the next camp so that they can get another camp fee of $75.00. If you don't cut you are probably only going to get 200 at the next camp anyway. So the rule is don't cut anyone. Let the members cut themselves for whatever reason. Members today are smart so after several camps they can understand the dynamics of the situtation. Be honest with members as to their status in the line. Keep improving and keep coming to camps and the chance that you will be in the line improves every day. If you follow this method and adjust as the winter moves along by having members switch sections you should be ok.

I know of corps that didn't cut any of their orginal auditionee's recrutied new members all winter along and opened spring training with a full line plus alternates. While having holes at move ins is not a disaster it does slow the development of the corps concept.

Awesome, logical post, man! (or woman)

• Like 3

Then why didn't Spirit call on those kids to come fill holes?

I happen to know that they did contact some of those members who were closest to making the cut back in January, but just missed the cut. Young people do make other plans for the summer (marching with other corps, working, traveling, etc.)

Yes, Spirit had 300-350 at auditions this year. As has always been the case with Spirit, roughly half of those were auditioning for percussion spots. About 120 were auditioning for the 80 spots in the brass line (which was, btw, by far the most brass players to audition in many years.)

From those 120, the corps was able to choose an overall more talented 80 players (along with a few alternates) than when they would barely have enough auditioning, or not even have enough, to fill the line. Overall more talented horn players=opportunity for the horn arranger to write more demanding arrangements=chance to move up to the next level.

Yes, they could have kept inviting all 120 brass players back to camps and stringing them along, but how fair would that be to the them?

Unfortunately, life reared its ugly head for a few of those 80 plus alternates, and they are now looking for THREE brass players. Not a big deal.

• Like 3

Then why didn't Spirit call on those kids to come fill holes?

Because the kids at the top of the cut list are probably marching at another corps?

I think you're making a bit too much of what is after all just 3 spots.

Not really a big deal to fill them nor should it "set back" the corps in spring training.

• Like 2

It will be very hard to fill these spots, considering all SOA did all offseason was brag about how many people auditioned.

If that many people of quality auditioned, why wouldn't they offer those positions to them? Something doesn't add up. Either the people that auditioned weren't quality, or the numbers were wrong. Maybe both. 300-350+ people auditioning that aren't even good enough to fill holes, is hardly an audition to brag about.

Hehe,

You are so pushing a bunch of people's buttons on here, which is your goal, but they're going to complain. tongue.gif

You know, they could have turned away so many people that are now marching in other corps and then lost this 1 tpt, tuba and bari...

Now they just have to find more people!

• Like 4

It will be very hard to fill these spots, considering all SOA did all offseason was brag about how many people auditioned.

If that many people of quality auditioned, why wouldn't they offer those positions to them? Something doesn't add up. Either the people that auditioned weren't quality, or the numbers were wrong. Maybe both. 300-350+ people auditioning that aren't even good enough to fill holes, is hardly an audition to brag about.

OK. OK. If I did some research on here I would probably find you are what most would consider from old school drum corps (not that such is singularly a bad thing at all), you are bored, you like pushing buttons, and you have some closeted unsavory issues with Spirit. Other than that, I am sure you are a fine fellow.

A few facts for you to consider:

1. Nearly everyone has holes this time of year.

2. Some corps advertise the spots. Some do not. (some fear that overtly negative people will use the holes as a great chance to bolster negative propaganda. Sound familiar?)

3. Having over 300 audition for a corps is a positive thing. Some have double that. Spirit's comeback effort is celebrated by many; perhaps a few facts were over reported by some who were eager to promote recent successes, but alas their reports may not have been completely factual. Why does that bother you so much? DCP, hello.

4. Once members are cut from corps A, they often audition for corps B, therefore, they are no longer available for corps A.

5. Some auditionees are sold on marching corps A and do not audition for corps B. They are often given specific things to work over the season so upon returning to audition for corps A, their chances are better; they very much could not be yet qualified to march Spirit and need to develop skills, so giving them a spot now would perhaps be counterproductive for what is best.

6. 350 auditionees could include only 100-120 or so brass. Some of those who are talented enough cut themselves because it is hard mentally and physically. Many high school and university marching bands do just fine with their performance level, but require a far cry from what drum corps requires.

7. Unfortunately, many talented potential members wait until this time of year to get a spot because they know holes open up with most every corps and that they can avoid having to pay camp fees and will probably get their overall fees reduced. Corps could say "no" to this practice, but it may not overall be what is best for the corps.

8. Spirit of Atlanta seems to be getting their act together in many ways. Most fans want all corps to succeed and survive the many difficulties that have caused hundreds if not thousands of corps to cease to exist. There are thousands of marching performers who consider doing drum corp, but never take that first step. I am so thankful that there are some young adults who are willing to be told "no", and still plug away trying to do truly exceptional feats. I am sure there are three out there

who are excited, willing, and able to fill these holes with skill, an admirable work ethic, and tenacity that will pay 100 fold the rest of their lives.

Edited by tigger2
  • Like 2

OK. OK. If I did some research on here I would probably find you are what most would consider from old school drum corps (not that such is singularly a bad thing at all), you are bored, you like pushing buttons, and you have some closeted unsavory issues with Spirit. Other than that, I am sure you are a fine fellow.

A few facts for you to consider:

1. Nearly everyone has holes this time of year.

2. Some corps advertise the spots. Some do not. (some fear that overtly negative people will use the holes as a great chance to bolster negative propaganda. Sound familiar?)

3. Having over 300 audition for a corps is a positive thing. Some have double that. Spirit's comeback effort is celebrated by many; perhaps a few facts were over reported by some who were eager to promote recent successes, but alas their reports may not have been completely factual. Why does that bother you so much? DCP, hello.

4. Once members are cut from corps A, they often audition for corps B, therefore, they are no longer available for corps A.

5. Some auditionees are sold on marching corps A and do not audition for corps B. They are often given specific things to work over the season so upon returning to audition for corps A, their chances are better; they very much could not be yet qualified to march Spirit and need to develop skills, so giving them a spot now would perhaps be counterproductive for what is best.

6. 350 auditionees could include only 100-120 or so brass. Some of those who are talented enough cut themselves because it is hard mentally and physically. Many high school and university marching bands do just fine with their performance level, but require a far cry from what drum corps requires.

7. Unfortunately, many talented potential members wait until this time of year to get a spot because they know holes open up with most every corps and that they can avoid having to pay camp fees and will probably get their overall fees reduced. Corps could say "no" to this practice, but it may not overall be what is best for the corps.

8. Spirit of Atlanta seems to be getting their act together in many ways. Most fans want all corps to succeed and survive the many difficulties that have caused hundreds if not thousands of corps to cease to exist. There are thousands of marching performers who consider doing drum corp, but never take that first step. I am so thankful that there are some young adults who are willing to be told "no", and still plug away trying to do truly exceptional feats. I am sure there are three out there

who are excited, willing, and able to fill these holes with skill, an admirable work ethic, and tenacity that will pay 100 fold the rest of their lives.

Only 55 posts in nearly 4 years? You don't say much, but when you do, you say it well! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

• Like 1

Pretty close to the situation myself, and I can reiterate what several people have said.

When a corps who has had great winter camps and several auditionees that they've cut or relegated to alternate status advertises 3 openings, it doesn't necessarily mean that they haven't already contacted the people they've cut or moved people in from alternate status. By advertising broadly, this allows a better chance of finding the best possible people quickly, and get them up to speed BEFORE spring training starts. I can virtually guarantee that several of these very fine players who got cut have already been contacted. I auditioned in 2010 and ended up cutting myself due to personal reasons, and later on when holes came up, I was contacted. Of course, by this point, I was committed to DCA, so I was no help to them that season, but they were able to fill the line just fine.

Point being, a mass advertisement is simply a way to reach several people and allow the corps a better chance of finding the best quality quickly.

Think my best friend's son just snagged the trumpet spot. I am very excited. Been trying to get him to march for a while now. From the way he plays, I assume he will be a great addition.

He is an awesome young man! Even more reason to support Spirit in 2012. I will be at their performance this Sunday. Looking forward to it.

Think my best friend's son just snagged the trumpet spot. I am very excited. Been trying to get him to march for a while now. From the way he plays, I assume he will be a great addition.

He is an awesome young man! Even more reason to support Spirit in 2012. I will be at their performance this Sunday. Looking forward to it.

I heard a new trumpet arrived this morning. I assume that is your friend's son. I am sure he will have a great summer. Lots of wonderful instructors and members there.

Last year their Memorial day concert was posted on youtube. I hope they allow that again this year.

I was at their concert yesterday and they stated they still had a few openings. After seeing/hearing this concert, I would highly recommend all interested persons to contact the corps ASAP.

There was not one aspect of what I saw and heard that I wouldn't call fantastic.