Best Drum Corps Souvenirs

Just wondering what is your best/favorite drum corps souvenir that you did not buy. (Example: Broken sticks or mallets from when you marched, free t-shirts given to the corps, etc)

For me, I still have a box with some of the mallets we used during my time marching. Broken tenor mallets, bent mallets, and some that are still good. There is literally no value to these other than the friends, good times, and memories that they remind me of. I also have an old t-shirt (really it is just some threads and printing anymore), that my wife keeps trying to get rid of, but I still have what is left of it!!!

I have in my office a "Crossmen Award" presented to a dear friend by Spirit of Atlanta in 1991. For those who don't know, the Crossmen Award is presented each year to someone—usually involved with the Spirit of Atlanta organization—who best exemplifies the spirit of the Crossmen, who many years ago came upon a Spirit of Atlanta equipment truck that had tumbled off the side of a highway. Corps equipment was scattered all over the grass and a two truck was ready to pull the semi trailer upright, directly across the spilled equipment. The Crossmen folk begged the tow crew to give them time to empty the trailer to save what was inside before it got further jostled around, and also got permission to pick up as much of the equipment from the side of the road as they could get. Due to their efforts, much of Spirit of Atlanta's equipment was saved.

My friend got the award for helping arrange for trucks from the inactive Suncoast Sound to be sent to Spirit at a time when they were in dire need. One day a few years ago, a package arrived at my door and the award was inside. I was stunned and my eyes got moist because I knew what the award meant. He was getting ready to go to a retirement condo and needed to downsize his possessions, and told me I was the only person he knew who would understand the meaning of the award and who would cherish it.

The plaque is on my office wall, reminding me of a great individual and of the selfless act of a great corps that stepped up to the plate when another corps needed help the most. And if that isn't what drum corps is all about, what is?

• Like 4