Orlando Citrus Bowl to undergo major renovations!

I was very excited to just hear on the Orlando news channel that the Mayors have agreed on a funding plan for the renovation of the Citrus Bowl. :thumbup:

Former host to many drum corps shows including finals.

This is a great venue which has fallen into a state of disrepair. Hopefully this will be a renovation that will bring drum corps back to Florida...Now if only the rain would stay away too. :ph34r::)

Link to the Story

• Like 3

Renovations to the Orlando Citrus Bowl.

Like hanging a new chandelier in a condemned building...

Nothing like Drums in the Slums.

Edited by contrajedi8
  • Like 3

Well, the renovations won't really be "soon." They won't start until 2014 at the earliest, and where the money is going to come from is still an unknown. All the meeting today produced was an end to the bickering between the City saying "we need this fixed," and the County saying, "let it fall down!"

The funny part is they realize it is in such bad shape that they are going to use some tax money to bribe the bowl game officials with larger payouts until they can begin the repairs.

While the location is not the greatest, it is close to the much improved downtown area, and there is certainly no cash to build something entirely new.

Couple things on this...

1) Don't believe it till it actually happens. This was originally part of a 3 part Downtown Orlando plan a few years back. First was to clean up and make Downtown Orlando better (which they did), second was building the new Amway Center (which they did), then 3rd was to update the Citrus Bowl. Part 3 got nixed due to budget. I'm very happy that they're trying again to get it done however. I'm still disappointed that instead of just resodding the field, they chose to go with Field Turf (I have a firm belief that all state of Florida football stadiums should have natural grass!!) I understand that the maintenance and upkeep of the field turf is better for the Citrus Bowl, since the maintenance and up keep of natural grass (when it's barely being used) really starts to add up over time.

2) DCI Orlando will continue to be just a 5-7 corps show for years to come. Until DCI breaks the mold (if they ever decide to) of the current tour structure, then a larger show in Orlando just wouldn't be feasible. Right now, the cluster of corps that are performing in Orlando this summer are coming from Tennessee, through Alabama, down to Orlando then up to the Carolina's. Later in the season when EVERYONE is in Atlanta on a Saturday, it wouldn't make sense financially for DCI to journey to Orlando (it's an 8-10 hour bus ride), plus there's always the uncertainty of rain in Florida during the summer. The only dome in Florida that could host a DCI show is busy with baseball season.

I think DCI did a great job this year of putting together a great lineup for DCI Orlando. It's not a huge show, but the corps that are coming have very large followings.

• Like 1

Couple things on this...

1) Don't believe it till it actually happens. This was originally part of a 3 part Downtown Orlando plan a few years back. First was to clean up and make Downtown Orlando better (which they did), second was building the new Amway Center (which they did), then 3rd was to update the Citrus Bowl. Part 3 got nixed due to budget.

Actually the three parts of the plan (which was approved years ago) are: 1-Amway Center (done) 2-Performing Arts Center (under construction, though 2 of the 3 theaters are being left as shells until future money is available to finish them) and 3-Citrus Bowl. All of these projects were counting on funds from the tourist hotel tax, which dropped a lot during the recession, but is now rebounding.

They Amway is gorgeous and the PAC looks to be fantastic and a badly needed replacement for the miserable Bob Carr auditorium, with its barn-like acoustics.

The Citrus Bowl became a political football, because it doesn't have a permanent tenant, but it still does host two big bowl games, which were very much at risk of leaving if they didn't do something. They put in the field turf after a disastrous experience with the games a few years ago, when new sod came up after heavy rains, turning the nationally televised bowl into a highly embarrassing mudfest. It was a huge black eye for the city, so I think it is safe to say there will never be natural grass in it again.

The turf will make it a better choice for a more extensive DCI event in the future, however, as the grass used to really wear out after long competitions.

Actually the three parts of the plan (which was approved years ago) are: 1-Amway Center (done) 2-Performing Arts Center (under construction, though 2 of the 3 theaters are being left as shells until future money is available to finish them) and 3-Citrus Bowl. All of these projects were counting on funds from the tourist hotel tax, which dropped a lot during the recession, but is now rebounding.

AH that's right, I forgot about the PAC.

Yes, the turf will be nice for drum corps, but turf isn't going to be a reason for DCI to bring a big show back. Unless the city of Orlando invests in one of those robotic clouds like Qatar is building or puts a dome over the Citrus Bowl, I don't forsee a large event ever coming back.

They had a pretty big show in 08 if I remember. The field was AWFUL. But I remember that was the first show I got to see other corps. And Crown beat Cadets. And there was a very decent turnout to the show.

Even in 09 there was a decent turnout, and it ended up being a standstill.

Although the heat and humidity was awful during rehearsals... and dodging thunderstorms for the two days of rehearsal was awful. Although we did have a free day Panama City on our way back West which was awesome.

parking needs to be addressed. I remember parking in grass, and after the daily storms came thru, it was a swamp.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the years of DCI Finals in the Citris Bowl in the mid 90s.

Stayed down at Disney - there was a lot to do and see even back then (now even more!). The trip up to the stadium had to be timed just right or you were stuck in traffic forever!!!

Of course the 2 biggest problems for the audience was the parking lot surrounded by slum like housing (but that is partially unfair to say because a group of us got 'invited' to some great BBQ one year) and the 2 o'clock storms. WOW! Some of the worse lightning I have ever been in. Refused to leave the stands (was way up at the top of the stadium and it was hard to get up there) the first year, enjoyed watching the cloud to cloud lightning UNTIL it struck a nearby building.....outta there quick!!!

Didn't feel safe walking through a completely dark parking lot for what seemed like miles while hearing voices and smelling things burning/cooking. Interesting experience, yes, safe.....? Didn't hear of any problems.

Never, ever seen it rain so hard as those years in Orlando. It would be perfectly clear one minute, cloudy almost instantly at mid-afternoon, pouring down rain with beautiful lightening for a while (sometimes over an hour) and then it would clear off and be hot and humid (and you sat there soaking wet if you didnt have a place to hide during the rain).

Not sure I would spend the money to do any of that again - eventho I got to see my home corps win a share of their first national title. It would take a stadium overhaul, a much better parking lot layout, better lot security and some new hotels to get me down there again.