Arm chair judging scores all over the place

40 members have voted

1. 1. Will the placements of corps (sans Phantom tomorrow) be MOSTLY the same at both shows, with little changes here and there?

Will tonight's scores from Akron be secretly shared with the judges in Louisville tomorrow night? After all, this is a different panel tomorrow night. Based on what we see tonight, armchair judge scores/placements are all over the place.

Why would tomorrow night's show in Louisville be any different? I know, we will need to wait until Monday night to find out for sure.

I say, if the scores for both shows per corps are similar, then the judges at Louisville were secretly told the scores from Akron from the night before.

Any takers?

Edited by Elmo Blatch

Will tonight's scores from Akron be secretly shared with the judges in Louisville tomorrow night? After all, this is a different panel tomorrow night. Based on what we see tonight, armchair judge scores/placements are all over the place.

Why would tomorrow night's show in Louisville be any different? I know, we will need to wait until Monday night to find out for sure.

I say, if the scores for both shows per corps are similar, then the judges at Louisville were secretly told the scores from Akron from the night before.

Any takers?

Panel is not entirely different. In fact there are just two new faces.

So if the scores are mostly alike on the same 2 nites then what you're saying is that the Louisville judges will all defer to the Akron judges because all the Akron judge have more political clout ? more experience in judging ? What ?

Edited by BRASSO

I don't think placements will be the same... actually I don't think they will be the same through out the season. I think things will end up being like last year... with corps moving around a lot... can't wait until I see everyone live in Houston/San Antonio!

Until we get a full judging panel ( with guard judge, percussion judge at each show ), these early season show scores are not all that reflective of what will happen on Finals Night at all. Pick any year... even last year.... take a look at the placements and scores in June and compare with Finals placements and spreads. There is a lot of change. Once we get to the Regionals however, we will begin to see some groupings develop more clearly. We might also see early tip offs where some Corps have room to grow their show, as some shows have more demand and take longer to polish and clean .The Cadets were a good example last year. They were getting beat by a few Corps early in June, but it was evident early on to many that their show had a lot of dirt but a lot of visual demand and a lot of room to grow points in the show if it was clean in the execution by August ( which is what happened as it turned out ).

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

So if the scores are mostly alike on the same 2 nites then what you're saying is that the Louisville judges will all defer to the Akron judges because all the Akron judge have more political clout ? more experience in judging ? What ?

They will defer, but not because of more "political clout," but rather because it makes the qualitative art of judging more "valid." If the scores at Louisville are completely different, then people would likely question one or both panels. This is the reason why scores "settle in" for the most part by the second week. Yeah, there are some small changes, but you don't see radical changes in similar groupings after the third week of the season.

In other words, if a massive show were held the first night, you might see the placements like this:

1. Cadets

2. Crown

3. Blue Devils

4. Cavaliers

5. Bluecoats

6. Santa Clara

7. Phantom

8. Madison

9. Boston

10. Blue Stars

11. Spirit

12. Academy

13. Colts

14. Blue Knights

15. Glassmen

On the second night of the season, you would not see this happen:

1. Santa Clara

2. Bluecoats

3. Phantom

4. Cavaliers

5. Crown

6. Cadets

7. Blue Devils

8. Arizona Academy

9. Madison

10.Spirit

11. Colts

12. Blue Knights

13. Boston

14. Blue Stars

15. Glassmen

I am suggesting that DCI currently monitors how judges evaluate from one show to the next. The idea of "any corps winning on a given night" should be more plausible EARLY in the season, since judges have zero to few reads on a show, little to no previous scores/spreads with which to compare, and little collaboration with other judges.

One could easily defend this scoring miracle by suggesting (in a nasal voice) "That's because the judges have lots of experience and are trained to be consistent. The judges are never wrong--it is their opinion."

I say "hooey."

What are the staggering mathematical odds that the judges share NEARLY the exact same opinion on scores/placements from show to show? This is especially more impossible with it being so early in the season.

How many people in the stands tonight have been following the activity for 20+ years, have a strong corps or band background (perhaps even judging), and still have very different opinions of placement tonight?

Edited by Elmo Blatch

Until we get a full judging panel ( with guard judge, percussion judge at each show ), these early season show scores are not all that reflective of what will happen on Finals Night at all. Pick any year... even last year.... take a look at the placements and scores in June and compare with Finals placements and spreads. There is a lot of change. Once we get to the Regionals however, we will begin to see some groupings develop more clearly. We might also see early tip offs where some Corps have room to grow their show, as some shows have more demand and take longer to polish and clean .The Cadets were a good example last year. They were getting beat by a few Corps early in June, but it was evident early on to many that their show had a lot of dirt but a lot of visual demand and a lot of room to grow points in the show if it was clean in the execution by August ( which is what happened as it turned out ).

of course! :thumbup: