Akron 6/16

Akron review:

Sitting in the back seat whilst heading back south-typing on my iPad! Some very short thoughts- I really don't feel qualified for much technical analysis-I played Tuba (2003) :-) just whatever impressions and predictions I can recall.

I had the benefit of sitting next to a DCI 1st timer- girl in her mid-20s. I asked her for her thoughts as the night progressed- she was a solidly unbiased audience membe

Blue Stars: sorry Will Wells, (good to see you BTW)- got a long way to go to crack the top 7 again this year. Was hoping for something a little better- just seemed a couple degrees less tight than the rest tonight. Volume was decent. Love a lot of the arrangements of new world. - had some big moments- hard not to hum along with phantom 1989 in Your head--It's too soon for a prediction here- i'd guess 8-10th, however, if I were putting any $$ on it.

Phantom: very solid across the board. Did they seem about 10% less loud compared to early season phantom to anybody else? Maybe SCV picked up some of that fire with hiring JD? Certainly a great quality sound, no doubt- just lacked a smidge of the sting I had gotten accustomed to in previous years.-- all female guard. - pretty straight forward- beautiful design and staging-- got a LOT of emotional punch even for this time of year! So far- it seems like a happy Ending (less death?) I'd say we've got ourselves a solid, classic phantom show! Reminds a bit of last years ending with the almost ballad like, yet still effective, Kinda deal- I loved it top to bottom . Shame on me for having not read the show description because I was surprised with all of the heavy Chinese style in there - lots of red.

Crown: WOW. This show is next level. I said it last year and I'll echo it this year- this design team has their pulse on the future of drum corps - the timpini in each end zone? Bass drums in the back? Works so well with fanfare. Just like SCV 2009 - they tease you a bit with the copeland and then give it to you and it's great. Sorry to be so dense here- but I'm feeling like there's a super-hero vibe in the sub-text of the show? - I will say I disliked their guard unis-- but that's about all I disliked. This has all the things you loved about 2009's show plus so much more- minus some of the cheesy-ness in some past shows-- I can't wait to watch and re-watch this on FN. this will be an amazing season for crown. I feel like they are a lock for a metal at this point. Power, design, GE, guard difficulty, --- not a weakness anywhere that I saw-- I loved it. The new Girl agreed with me after we left for the night- best show on the field tonight.

Cavies--- not as much to say here-- I generally don't like cavies early season and they add so much to their shows that I love them come finals-- that's gonna have to be the case again this year cause I wasn't feeling it. Brass was easily 70% crowns volume- (what I expect of early season cavies) - drill design is the strength. My first time girl next to me had them in 2nd to last over blue stars.

Cadets--- I really like it- musically it's on par with west side, angels and demons-- DRILL? Not as ambitious as I'm accustomed--- i need some big signature cadets move! Hoppy did say they were holding off on the ending- right? This will be a joy to listen to -love the arrangements- I think it's a smart move and a good direction for the corps _ a Bold move but it pays off- didn't like their guard unis either--- presents? It's nice to seem the accepted as a favorite again--just such an improved audience vibe with them vs , 2006, 2008, etc. I think it's got great potential- could see them as high as 1st- low as 5th-

Bluecoats--- nice!! Some pretty big changes in the design / brass staff. When I saw the visual designer was same dude from crown 2003-2008 I noted that and there were certainly elements in there from crown 2006, 2007, 2008. I think it's a bump up for the coats-- certainly wont be a liability. Love the overall design and flow of this show!! Its got the dark, in your face Bluecoats we loved in 2005, 2010.. Got some big beautiful brass moments too--- more sustained big chords from them vs what we've had in the past---I'd say on par with phantom, crown there. Volume seems up vs years past? Was kinda afraid since losing Wozniak things might mello off there but it looks like they took a step forward instead of a step back-- not sure who dude was who was leading brass ensemble at practice - will have to check staff page (wasn't Emory, McKinnon, or Thrower) -- he was , IMO very effectively leading the brass- I loved his passion and work ethic.

This show-- no doubt that it's top 7- no chance in hell that they'll drop--- hard to tell how high they can rise? 3rd? Too soon to tell. But this is a top-tier design and execution. Weak spot is their guard execution-maybe its one of those deals where it's written so hard that it won't look tight till late July? Too many drops with that male rifle line in the front for the first part of the show---

My rankings for everything minus Bluecoats (I'm biased):

Crown Cadets PhantomCaviesBlue Stars

If I was the only judge? I'd put coats about equal with phantom--- maybe 0.5 ahead.

Your review screams real-world, down to earth drum corps fan. Nicely done.

A wonderful review! As always, thanks for sharing.