Sioux Falstaff Follies

Hello folks I am home and on my computer. I sincerely apologize for not planning ahead and charging my phone and iPod. I truly enjoy live tweeting and sharing some of my perspectives on the shows because the majority of the time I'm just like you guys sitting at home hitting refresh hoping for a tasty little tidbit about the show. So to make up for it I am going to attempt to write a (brief) review on each corps tonight complete with pictures taken from ON TOP of the press box. No worries about bias here as I did not have a horse in the race and just love good drum corps. Review will be up hopefully in the next 15 minutes or so depending on how fast I type.

Hello folks I am home and on my computer. I sincerely apologize for not planning ahead and charging my phone and iPod. I truly enjoy live tweeting and sharing some of my perspectives on the shows because the majority of the time I'm just like you guys sitting at home hitting refresh hoping for a tasty little tidbit about the show. So to make up for it I am going to attempt to write a (brief) review on each corps tonight complete with pictures taken from ON TOP of the press box. No worries about bias here as I did not have a horse in the race and just love good drum corps. Review will be up hopefully in the next 15 minutes or so depending on how fast I type.

ill start popping the popcornsmile.gif

• Like 1

Recaps are up!!!

And they are showing the weird scores!

And they are showing the weird scores!

it shows one of the judges wasn't available....so it was probably the average of some other 2 captions or something. Still wierd

it shows one of the judges wasn't available....so it was probably the average of some other 2 captions or something. Still wierd

No visual proficiency judge so the other scores are average to come up with that score.

Aha! I saw the missing listing for the judge. Makes sense now. Thanks!

Alright, I'll be honest. I've never sat down and truly hashed out my thoughts in a review like this so bear with me. I'm used to the short sweet tweets and updates to DCP so without further ado, here we go. Also I hope the pictures aren't too big, photobucket has a tendency to make my pictures ginormous, so if they are I'll have to go and resize them.

RACINE SCOUTS: The American Experience

Coming from a smaller corps myself I love seeing the heart that these guys put out. They only had 30 members which broke down into 2 front ensemble (marimba and vibe) 4 bass drums, 4 color guard, about 5 members who did not know the show yet and stood on the sideline and roughly 10-12 brass. You could tell that some of the horn players definitely had some talent and they were featured with exposed parts. They started off with bass drums tapping on the field and doing some drill formations and did some very simple drill during the first half of the show. The second half consisted of a horn arc playing with very little front ensemble and nothing in the bass drums. I would love to see so much more from these guys and I can only imagine the extremely difficult situation they find themselves in.

DSCN0564.jpg

DSCN0565.jpg

DSCN0566.jpg

TROOPERS: This Was the Future

As I posted here I absolutely LOVED their opening statement. Very intense drum and front ensemble parts with drill all over the place and the horns come blasting in with a long sustained chord in a set resembling their infinity chord from last year. However the opening statement was probably my favorite part of the show. Afterwards it just seemed to become so busy and confusing that I wasn't for sure where to keep my focus. Don't get me wrong, they play the hell out of their show and their brass line has got some balls this year. There were some very cool vaudeville moments throughout but maybe that's why it seemed so confusing at points. I was talking to one of the judges and he told me it was mostly original music (please correct me if I am wrong), thus being, the crowd also had a hard time following the show it seemed. We all loved the park and blows but again where was our focus supposed to be at? After just one viewing (and what I have read of other corps so far this year) I do not see the Troopers breaking into finals with this show. Sorry Troop fans.

DSCN0568.jpg

DSCN0570.jpg

DSCN0574.jpg

GLASSMEN: Glassworks

This was a interesting show that seemed like it wasn't quite finished to me. I realize it's only June 24th but that's how it seemed. The drumline, as it has been for the past few years, was very sharp. I would easily say it was the strongest part of the corps. The hornline did not quite have the same power as Troop and there were times it seemed that there was phasing between individual sections. Hornline did shine during the ballad though. Very strong statements throughout but again, just seemed slightly incomplete or that there could've been more. It just didn't seem to leave an impression on me. I swear I'm not trying to be a negative nancy. I see them as right on the edge of finals this year.

DSCN0576.jpg

DSCN0577.jpg

DSCN0580.jpg

Okay, intermission time for me just like it was in the show. This is taking longer than I thought.

• Like 2

Alright, I'll be honest. I've never sat down and truly hashed out my thoughts in a review like this so bear with me. I'm used to the short sweet tweets and updates to DCP so without further ado, here we go. Also I hope the pictures aren't too big, photobucket has a tendency to make my pictures ginormous, so if they are I'll have to go and resize them.

RACINE SCOUTS: The American Experience

Coming from a smaller corps myself I love seeing the heart that these guys put out. They only had 30 members which broke down into 2 front ensemble (marimba and vibe) 4 bass drums, 4 color guard, about 5 members who did not know the show yet and stood on the sideline and roughly 10-12 brass. You could tell that some of the horn players definitely had some talent and they were featured with exposed parts. They started off with bass drums tapping on the field and doing some drill formations and did some very simple drill during the first half of the show. The second half consisted of a horn arc playing with very little front ensemble and nothing in the bass drums. I would love to see so much more from these guys and I can only imagine the extremely difficult situation they find themselves in.

DSCN0564.jpg

DSCN0565.jpg

DSCN0566.jpg

TROOPERS: This Was the Future

As I posted here I absolutely LOVED their opening statement. Very intense drum and front ensemble parts with drill all over the place and the horns come blasting in with a long sustained chord in a set resembling their infinity chord from last year. However the opening statement was probably my favorite part of the show. Afterwards it just seemed to become so busy and confusing that I wasn't for sure where to keep my focus. Don't get me wrong, they play the hell out of their show and their brass line has got some balls this year. There were some very cool vaudeville moments throughout but maybe that's why it seemed so confusing at points. I was talking to one of the judges and he told me it was mostly original music (please correct me if I am wrong), thus being, the crowd also had a hard time following the show it seemed. We all loved the park and blows but again where was our focus supposed to be at? After just one viewing (and what I have read of other corps so far this year) I do not see the Troopers breaking into finals with this show. Sorry Troop fans.

DSCN0568.jpg

DSCN0570.jpg

DSCN0574.jpg

GLASSMEN: Glassworks

This was a interesting show that seemed like it wasn't quite finished to me. I realize it's only June 24th but that's how it seemed. The drumline, as it has been for the past few years, was very sharp. I would easily say it was the strongest part of the corps. The hornline did not quite have the same power as Troop and there were times it seemed that there was phasing between individual sections. Hornline did shine during the ballad though. Very strong statements throughout but again, just seemed slightly incomplete or that there could've been more. It just didn't seem to leave an impression on me. I swear I'm not trying to be a negative nancy. I see them as right on the edge of finals this year.

DSCN0576.jpg

DSCN0577.jpg

DSCN0580.jpg

Okay, intermission time for me just like it was in the show. This is taking longer than I thought.

What camera are you using? ...those pictures are REALLY REALLY good

Thank you, thank you, and thank you!

Welcome to DCP!