Blue Stars 2012

I love this show! Out of the 8th - 17th grouping from last year this show has the highest ceiling out of all of them and is by far the most demanding. How clean it will get will determine if it places 8th or out of finals. It has a lot better structuring as compared to last year and won't require the amount of rewrites that last year did. It's sad how little this show gets talked about on here, it's deserving of a lot more recognition IMO. Once again they have amazing individual sections (brass, perc., guard) but his show can do a lot more damage. Yes it's probably still dirty, but I think once it cleans up those scores will rocket upwards, it's only dirty because of the highly demanding visual design IMO. I'm ready to see it make some waves in the competition. :thumbup:

I think it's better to have a weak start and peak in August than peak in late July like a lot corps in this tier do.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 4

That's with any Shapiro guard, winter with Corona or drum corps. You have to give him credit though (or not?), he doesn't write to the members talent, so you either learn your ___ or get left behind! That's why his guards' early seasons are always dirtiest and then when or if they clean you are like "WTFace"

I prefer corps to push their members, drum corps is after all a learning experience. You learn a lot more when you are challenged and pushed compared to when you are given something you can easily accomplish.

• Like 1

I've noticed that SFZ Fan always hates on the Blue Stars, guess I'm not the only one to see this

What gives bro?

Honestly I do think this year's show is better than last year. Not leaning on so many props and stuff. That is the main problem I've had with their show design the last few years. Too many props. If you've read any of my posts over the years you'll notice I'm not much of a props fan at all.

• Like 1

I love this show! Out of the 8th - 17th grouping from last year this show has the highest ceiling out of all of them and is by far the most demanding. How clean it will get will determine if it places 8th or out of finals. It has a lot better structuring as compared to last year and won't require the amount of rewrites that last year did. It's sad how little this show gets talked about on here, it's deserving of a lot more recognition IMO. Once again they have amazing individual sections (brass, perc., guard) but his show can do a lot more damage. Yes it's probably still dirty, but I think once it cleans up those scores will rocket upwards, it's only dirty because of the highly demanding visual design IMO. I'm ready to see it make some waves in the competition. :thumbup:

I think it's better to have a weak start and peak in August than peak in late July like a lot corps in this tier do.

Blue Stars have demanding drill?

tumblr_lzb9lwu4sZ1r1mqmto2_500.png

Lol

• Like 1

It feels like a harder demand on a less experienced corps. A lot lot lot of rookies this year, most of whom have never marched. Hopefully there are rewrites in the future to make it more do-able. Houdini was one of my favorite shows by them, but Bourne felt a bit panicked comparatively. This has some of the kids looking frantic and does not play out strongly for them.

I love the show this year. I really like their take on New World Symphony, love the guard work (although will they be able to clean it - the difficulty level is extremely high) and love Myron's Rosander's drill. I didn't feel it worked well when he went to Madison, it was better with Phantom - but I think he found a new home with Blue Stars - the drill is phenomenal.

If they can build on this and give us more of this approach to programming in the coming years, they should be able to move up the ranks.

Later,

Mike

Nice - and I loved the backing music - is it music from the show?

later,

Mike

I like the music too, but I'm pretty sure it's not from the show. It reminds me of 2008 though.

Edited by sdstar