Evil review of the DCI Walnut Show

Thanks for the interesting review. I was waffling about going to the Atlanta show, but this just about seals it.

Lee, as a former Corps percussionist (1965-70) and a member of the TV Broadcasting community here in Phoenix I want to say: Hello and Thanks for your very good, honest, accurate "Evil Drum Corps Show Review." Being a long time fan and supporter of the activity and THE ACADEMY in particular, I appreciate and concure with your Pro and Con comments in regard to their show. I know full well the incredible sound and volume Prof. T Andre Feagin gets out of The Academy Brass line. If they do let loose I promise you, their 80-member brass line, in your own words, will "destroy the stands at least once in a show." Quite frankly, I'm hoping they total a number of stands along the course of the tour. And YES pink is quite becoming on the Academy guard and drums! My have the times changed, I wore a pink dress shirt ONCE in the 60's, my father nearly disowned me! ( - :

Looking forward to even more DC reviews of your "evil" kind.

Good review and articulated something I couldn't. Blue Devils are playing a different sport.

For me, this year, Blue Devils performance is like Cirque Du Soleil (sp).

It's not a marching band show, it's not even a drum corps show. This years Blue Devils show is an event.....a performance...something to experience.

Whether it wins or not is irrelevant. I would say BD is not competing this year.....this year's show has surpassed that. It's basically a stunning display of visual performance and music that overwhelms a spectator.

Raising the bar.

• Like 5

Thanks for posting a Walnut review Lee! We sat on the 50 yard line, 15 rows up. I would add something regarding the Top 3 corps:

1. Santa Clara Vanguard - as an alumni of the corps I was very proud of their overall show and design. Great visual/musical impact points! In fact, if you're talking about drill designed for impact points, I felt Vanguard was the best. I felt their brass was louder and sounded better than Phantom Regiment, which actually came as a shock! I'm not a drummer, but when we walked through the parking lot on our way to the stadium, Vanguard's drum line was followed by what seemed like 50+ fans. So I guess that means they're good?

Yes, the drill (covering down and intervals) was a mess. I don't like the marching style or "dot" marching the corps is doing these days. I just hope they can clean it twice as fast as their competition, otherwise their placement will go nowhere. And I totally agree with others who've said Vanguards' colorguard blends into the background. Not good if you're a colorguard judge.

2. Phantom Regiment - one word, "Elegant!" This show is the most beautiful visual package I've seen in a long time. I could almost see the dragonfly, lily, and other Asian symbols in the drill. When I first caught the show online, I thought they were very clean. However, after seeing them live, their feet were still very dirty.

Their brass sounded nice but subdued. Their guard added to the visual splendor of their show very nicely. Beautiful! I felt they may have had an off night, an thought that if it wasn't for Vanguards' visual dirt (drill & guard) they might have come in 3rd for the night.

3. Blue Devils - They had some nice melodic moments in their show, and their colorguard is by far the best that was on the field! I'm not digging the clowning around stuff, the almost unceasing foreign language gibberish, or their microphoned soloists. This is Blue Devils! Since when do they need gimmicks or amplification to help pull off their show? At times I thought I was watching the old Velvet Knights.

I've read other posts that say their hornline is the loudest on the field. Well, their synthesizer is definitely the loudest. At times I couldn't hear the hornline over the synthesizer. I really, REALLY, wanted to like Blue Devils this year. But I, along with many others in the crowd, just wasn't into their show. They really need to change that closer. I was shocked when their show just kind of...ended. Quietly. Will they win? Perhaps, but I hope not. I really like Carolina Crowns' show this year (only seen it online), and I'm hoping they can take their first DCI trophy home.

If the new DCI judging sheets are suppose to take entertainment into account, I'd give them 1st - Phantom Regiment, 2nd - Santa Clara Vanguard, 3rd - Blue Devils.

Edited by PeeWee
  • Like 2