Show Demand

I may be wrong, but I think the reason why corps like Crossmen, Spirit of Atlanta, and Colts are getting these "inflated" scores is because they are performing very well this early in the season. The corps like Blue Knights, Blue Stars, and Cavaliers have very demanding shows that are still being "learned". I believe that as the season progresses and the corps get better those 6 corps may switch in placement slightly. The corps with the less demanding shows are great! They have great shows, but once the performance level becomes higher than the demand level then judges might start wanting more out of the shows. The corps with the demanding shows have tons of potential in their show, and tons of room to grow. I'm not counting Crossmen, Spirit, and Colts out - they have great shows, but I see a flaw.

• Like 2

that could definitely happen.

it could also be that some corps missed with show design this year, and they won't be able to recover from it

I don't know. It seems like all of the shows this year are very well designed.

• Like 2

I disagree. My feeling is the judges with the new system are certainly rewarding content even when acheivement is not quite their. Many said Crown would come out and

get clobbered in the beginning of the season until they had time to clean and that didnt happen. (they are an exceptional corps this season and have been rewarded for

demand, not penalized which is great for the activity)..

• Like 2

There needs to be a balance of the two IMO.

Is there a balance with Crossmen, Colts, and Spirit now? Yes. Well almost. I just don't think that there will be by the end of the season without a few changes.

Edited by kaseyW

Crossmen and Spirit have a fair amount of cleaning left to do themselves. Can't say too much about the Colts as I haven't seen them yet.

It's true that BK, BS, and Cavies are having problems with execution. The difficulty of their shows certainly has something to do with that. But remember (other posters have said this, but I'll reiterate) that demand by itself doesn't mean much. Effect is what counts. A polished turd is still a turd, and a poorly designed show will still be a poorly designed show even with better execution. Not that any of these shows are turds, but I think the point is clear.

Spirit and X-men, simply put, have shows that "work". That's a major reason why they're doing so well, in addition to good execution. I won't say that Cavies, BK, and BS will be behind at the end of the season, but in order to pull ahead and stay there they need to make some serious changes. Cavies in particular. Luckily, each of these groups have very smart staffs that won't just sit around cleaning and waiting for X-men and Spirit to peak . . . because that's not going to happen until finals week.

Wrong.... Serious changes never equate well in Drum Corps. BK has made small tweaks and are getting a handle on their show. They're performing with confidence and execution is happening. Heard from staff that they knew it'd take a good portion of 1st tour to get this show in true performance shape. Safe drum corps will give you a 50/50 shot in the end... To me as much as I like Xmen and Colts both shows have lots of park and blows which make for ear pleasing fun and cleanliness early. If people are betting BK out of finals at this point you're crazy! They have an amazing design this summer with a ton o demand! Look out come August cause BK may be passing many corps ahead of them now! Keep in mind they've not had a scored show in a while. Design challenge will only get rewarded when clean and BK is starting to achieve!! Look out DCI here come the aliens!!:)

Wes P

• Like 1

Not sure about lack of demand with Crossmen. I thought they had a nice balance of demand and design. They moved a lot.

• Like 1