Bowling Green Lanes

Love the bronze mirrored panels the drum line brings out during the ballad. The silks the guard uses are translucent and incredible to watch.

I think a new writer would do wonders. Maybe Myron tongue.gif

He's a little busy at Blue Stars. :D

Quiet ending to the ballad, followed by thunderous drum intro, followed by huge chord from the horns to open the Organ Symphony.

I still could live without the organ sounds from the pit. They're covering up the horns at key moments in the show.

• Like 1

Did they cut out a portion of the closer? That was a transition I wasn't expecting.

For the host corps, they should have gotten more out of the crowd for that performance. Not sure if it was the crowd or the performance.

OK, people. I'm shutting down and running for the car. Gotta get home and rest before work tomorrow.

Shameless plug: I'm playing in Kent, Ohio, tomorrow evening at 7PM with the Brass Band of the Western Reserve. Come out if you're in the area!

• Like 6

OK, people. I'm shutting down and running for the car. Gotta get home and rest before work tomorrow.

Shameless plug: I'm playing in Kent, Ohio, tomorrow evening at 7PM with the Brass Band of the Western Reserve. Come out if you're in the area!

Thanks Kevin!!! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Personally, I think the drill is their weak spot, both in terms of design and execution. More than once I've seen drill moves where I can't determine if that's supposed to be a hole of if there's interval issues. What's more, there's nothing about the drill which stands out for me.

I really enjoyed Glassmen's visual strength last year. The musical end of things, not as much. And personally, I have to disagree about Don Hill; having played his books for years in HS and two through drum corps, I'm not entirely sure Key is the right fit for this corps. It might just be my personal affinity for Don, whom if you've had the pleasure of meeting, is worth every second of your attention :).

While the brass are performing better than the previous season, hanging out with the finalists instead of the semifinalists, this improvement has been negated by significant competitive drops in GE and Vis...this year things seem to be a little inverted for the corps' strengths and weaknesses, I think, but in the long run I think that's a good thing.

If my personal affinity plays out for Don, it's probably only worse for the guy writing the drill, who was at my HS freshman band camp--but I will simply say he's gotten this corps back into finals before. I'm less inclined to blame material than performance strength.

When I saw them in June the visual (from horns) was seriously lacking. Most of my rehearsal notes were visual comments related to straight-leg (did the corps change techniques this year? I know I'm not the only one to ask this question...), form spacing, and upper body positioning. I actually even made a couple notes regarding high toes, which is kind of a shocker. A far cry from the pages (and pages...I scribble so I don't run my mouth!) on tone quality I produced last year. I'm sure there will be an appropriate amount of difficulty in the visual book, and in all honesty, Gmen are far better off competitively speaking with a corps that can improve its visual caption IMHO. Summer progresses, kids get in better shape, visual technique and talent are not quite as hard to develop as musical, improvement in visual leads to improvement in music, etc. etc.

Still, it is odd and wonderful for me to see the Glassmen with a hornline that is more than holding up its end of the bargain!

• Like 2

For the host corps, they should have gotten more out of the crowd for that performance. Not sure if it was the crowd or the performance.

Sounds like the crowd might be a little dead -- home town corps should get big love from the crowd no matter what!

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1