Pit Sops/Soloists

Either way. Do judges pay attention to them? If a soloist screws up, does it bring the brass score down? Just wondering if they have any purpose other than to add icing on the cake.

How could a judge "not" pay attention to them? Their layering within the program adds to the brass score and the effect scores of the show. That's always been a little gripe I've had. I love Empires program and the entertainment value they bring at each show. But I've always thought it a little slight to other corps to bring in high power guys finals weekend. That was something I noticed about MBI last year too. Screamers sitting up front... great players!!! but I was disappointed to see them not marching with the rest of the corps. You've got to give props to guys like Frank Ponzo who march the entire show and still play to that caliber.

Edited by androidx2

WWPD

How could a judge "not" pay attention to them? Their layering within the program adds to the brass score and the effect scores of the show. That's always been a little gripe I've had. I love Empires program and the entertainment value they bring at each show. But I've always thought it a little slight to other corps to bring in high power guys finals weekend. That was something I noticed about MBI last year too. Screamers sitting up front... great players!!! but I was disappointed to see them not marching with the rest of the corps. You've got to give props to guys like Frank Ponzo who march the entire show and still play to that caliber.

• Like 2

Don't bother me and I believe the judges are quite capable of handling the situation... not like Empire has been winning every year because of Joey being out front???

I say - THANK YOU - for being there... if it adds to the entertainment and audience enjoyment one little bit... it's a positive... but looking at the history??? I see no time that it effected the score much at all... all the other ingredients are so much more important...

but using Empire and Joey as an example... just maybe it's a lot more important to drum corps that a successful professional - created via drum corps and a lifetime of dedication - feels committed enough to give up a part of his tight schedule and income to honor his heritage and add just a little bit to the drum corps fan's enjoyment... just perhaps this is more important than him spending months learning a drill...

I also just saw MBI at Bridgeport with Roger in the pit... amazing contribution to the show and wonderful that he's at the first show of the season as well as at the championship even if he's not marching a drill spot... wonderful contribution to the audio by our hall of fame friend Mr. Grupp...

Let's be thankful for any positive contribution and let the judges worry about the score... they get it right...

WWPD

There you go again Dan....

Unless I am in a wheelchair, I will ALWAYS march a drill!

If I am lucky enough, or good enough, to be honred with playing a solo, I am sure my drill writer will write me in and out of the drill, as I have done for 30 years!

• Like 1

Whoever you are, THANK YOU for your kind words!!!

WWPD.. NOW I get it.... :doh:

LOL, I hated the idea of a corps having a front man the first time I saw Empire do it with "Carmen San Diego" (my first DCA in years). Then I overheard someone say the name of the frontman..... :blink:

Next thought was... well if it Ritchee it can't be that bad....

I did what Frank does. :worthy: Between 90 and 100 drill sets and pulled out for the solos.

I am not sure it is needed if it hasnt been there all season. Icing on the cake at best...I have done it but didnt care one way or the other. If I went in to work with a corps and they asked me to play, I have done it. Somehow it just didnt feel right to me. No offense to the aforementioned soloists

Just a thought....what about the other "slugs" in the line that played the solos all year?

Donny