Pit Sops/Soloists

Empire brings in Joey and a few others and MBI has Roger...

Just wondering how much they impact the scores.

Same for regular marching soloists, how much of an impact do they have?

Can they do that? I mean in the pit. I remember a few years back when the Renegades had a couple of sop soloists inadadvertantly step out of bounce and they were whacked with a 2 point penalty.

Can they do that? I mean in the pit. I remember a few years back when the Renegades had a couple of sop soloists inadadvertantly step out of bounce and they were whacked with a 2 point penalty.

yup... you did... I was standing right there on the front sideline cringing as it happened... The whole world saw it and the chief judge had no choice... the front PIT line is still not to be crossed by anyone except DM's and pit people setting up equipment before and after the show... A soloist or group crossing that line is definitely a no no... but front side line of the actual football field might as well not exist... anyone can cross it at any time into the pit... just not beyond the front pit line...

Incidentally, same thing happened during my last year as corps director of CRU... 1993... in prelims... and before finals... I went out and bought some garden fencing and put it around the pit line - with my tongue firmly implanted in my cheek - I stood there smiling big time before the show and gave my dear friend and mentor Mickey Petrone a delightful chuckle during finals...

• Like 1

Purely out of curiosity.... what is the reason behind the "don't cross the front of PIT" rule?

Edited by pgahern

Purely out of curiosity.... what is the reason behind the "don't cross the front of PIT" rule?

Several reasons.

Two that come to mind???

At larger contest you typically have a lot of electronics and recording equipment parked just forward of this area.

Also it tends to be a deterrent so no one is tempted to college pep band it up into the stands.

Empire brings in Joey and a few others and MBI has Roger...

Just wondering how much they impact the scores.

Same for regular marching soloists, how much of an impact do they have?

Ive listened to a lot of judges tapes over the years and seldom have I heard judges mention pit soloist.

I doubt the soloist have much if any impact on the scores.

While I find them entertaining and enjoy Roger and Joey and others on the sideline,,, I much prefer to hear a soloist that marches in the corps.

• Like 2

I dont get the question? Do you mean positively or negatively?

I think the answer to this question is...

"Yes."

Either way. Do judges pay attention to them? If a soloist screws up, does it bring the brass score down? Just wondering if they have any purpose other than to add icing on the cake.

Throwing in my own 2 cents...sometimes the "pit soloist" isn't done for effect but because the person performing may either 1)not have the time that season to commit to all the rehearsals and learning a spot, which allows him/her to be able to participate in the performance or 2) the person may be of the age that it's easier for them to perform from the pit.

I know if I reach that stage in life that I'm (heaven forbid) not able to march, I hope the corps I'm in allows me to perform from the pit!