Bellflower Brawl

All in all, definite improvement for the Southern Cal corps since the Walnut show. BDB and Vanguard Cadets looking good, but despite my biases, I still have to give the edge to BDB tonight. C'mon Gold, I'm rooting for ya, but I'm not sure I'm digging the whole "tearing off the jackets" thing. Plus, if the show is "Different" how about playing up your white-plumed contra a little more in the drill. So great to see Gold growing!

Edited by CLD

Was the name Velvet Knights name sold to the new group; was the charter sold; is the new VK a tribute to the old group; or did the new group just hope that the VK name would carry some weight for a newly forming group?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the new Velvet Knights is a new organization legally distinct from the old Velvet Knights, founded by VK alums as a sort of reboot with the tradition/legacy/spirit of the original corps. I think the legal name for the new VK is actually 'VK.'

Edited by PurpleKnights

:rock: See... this is why we can't have nice things :rolleyes:
  • Like 3

Did not mean to open a can of worms with the VK question; just wanted to know if there was an actual real connection between the new and the old.

Stu, The answer to your question is complicated. The Alumni from the Corps from 60's through the 90's really have no interest in supporting a junior corps. They have made it clear to the VKYAO organization that they just want to have an alumni corps and do their own thing, hang out and talk about the old days and do drum corps. If that is what they wish there is nothing the VKYAO can do about it. The Velvet Knights Drum and Bugle Corps can just Move foward and continue to provide an opportunity for the new generation to be apart of. The same opportunity that the alumni had a opportunity to be a part of, a Drum and Bugle Corps.

As for the connection question, many corps have changed there legal name though out there history for one reason or another. If ever time the organization changes there legal name that the former alumni from the former name are no long part of the new organization then yes there is no connection, but I am sure all the alumni of the cadet would disagree. (They have changed there name at least a half dozen times in there history.)

After all this, the bottom line is this…. If All the Alumni and Fans of any Drum corps Don’t support the activity, More and More Corps with go under and soon there will be no more Drum and Bugle Corps. Once there we over 500 corps, now there is less the 100.

I hope this answers your question

Troy Emmons

Edited by te7777777
  • Like 1

Did not mean to open a can of worms with the VK question; just wanted to know if there was an actual real connection between the new and the old.

Well...the title of the thread DOES have "brawl" in it...

Stu, The answer to your question is complicated. The Alumni from the Corps from 60's through the 90's really have no interest in supporting a junior corps. They have made it clear to the VKYAO organization that they just want to have an alumni corps and do their own thing, hang out and talk about the old days and do drum corps. If that is what they wish there is nothing the VKYAO can do about it. The Velvet Knights Drum and Bugle Corps can just Move foward and continue to provide an opportunity for the new generation to be apart of. The same opportunity that the alumni had a opportunity to be a part of, a Drum and Bugle Corps.

As for the connection question, many corps have changed there legal name though out there history for one reason or another. If ever time the organization changes there legal name that the former alumni from the former name are no long part of the new organization then yes there is no connection, but I am sure all the alumni of the cadet would disagree. (They have changed there name at least a half dozen times in there history.)

After all this, the bottom line is this…. If All the Alumni and Fans of any Drum corps Don’t support the activity, More and More Corps with go under and soon there will be no more Drum and Bugle Corps. Once there we over 500 corps, now there is less the 100.

I hope this answers your question

Troy Emmons

Your explanation speaks volumes; and on this I will not comment other than please look at the history of Rogers Drums from vintage until present. Sometimes a name sold to another company does not carry into the future with desired outcomes. Best of luck to you though, and I really mean that!

• Like 1

Leave it on the field. It looks like some people live in the past. The activity is for the members. Why do such people have to spoil what some people are working hard to create. If you don't like it leave it.

• Like 1

cleaned up the thread of personal attacks. please don't do that. if you see one, please press the report button instead of responding to it.

also closing the thread since we're well past this event.

• Like 1