DCI Minnesota Recap Roundup

Quick Question for you: Which has better or greater musical impact (i.e. GE): Wynton Marsalis playing trumpet on a version of Jingle Bells with his ensemble, or Chris Martin playing trumpet on version of Nessun Dorma with the Chicago Symphony?

I haven't heard either of these particular versions in this hypothetical situation, but just based on personal preference I'd say Nessun Dorma.

Nothing personal to Wynton Marsalis, but I really really really really really really really really dislike the song Jingle Bells.

I haven't heard either of these particular versions in this hypothetical situation, but just based on personal preference I'd say Nessun Dorma.

Nothing personal to Wynton Marsalis, but I really really really really really really really really dislike the song Jingle Bells.

This is not a hypothetical (you can at least hear Wynton play Jingle Bells on his Crescent City Christmas Card CD). But what you are saying is that since you do not like Jingle Bells there is no way you can understand why a judge could listen to Wynton playing it live impeccably well, and listen to the Chicago Symphony playing Nessun Dorma live on an off-night, and conclude that the performance of Jngle Bells had greater musical impact than the performance of Nessun Dorma. By the way, you are directly supporting my contention of the shear subjectivity of judging.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

Mike.. have you seen the current DCI rankings today on the DCI scores section of their website ? Its beyond funny. I had no idea the Vanguard Cadets and the Blue Devils B Corps were quite this good compared to the other World Class Corps.... haha

lol... DCA corps included too

Next year they will play twinkle little star and hot cross buns. thumbup.gif

Go ahead; make fun... Just be aware that one of most effective musical performances ever in the history of DCI was the Suncoast Sound show called Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child which utilized many children's melodies. It is in the treatment of the chart, not the source material, which makes something great or hokey.

• Like 3

This is not a hypothetical (you can at least hear Wynton play Jingle Bells on his Crescent City Christmas Card CD). But what you are saying is that since you do not like Jingle Bells there is no way you can understand why a judge could listen to Wynton playing it live impeccably well, and listen to the Chicago Symphony playing Nessun Dorma live on an off-night, and conclude that the performance of Jngle Bells had greater musical impact than the performance of Nessun Dorma. By the way, you are directly supporting my contention of the shear subjectivity of judging.

??

I've never heard either recordings so this situation is most definitely hypothetical to me. For all you know I could be thinking of two completely different recordings of the same tunes you've never heard before. Using the small amount of information you gave me I made a decision. If you wanted a more realistic answer you should've asked a more realistic question.

It's like asking someone "Hey would you rather have sex with Whitney Houston or Marilyn Monroe" without telling them you were actually talking about their dead bodies, and then laughing at them for being a necrophiliac.

Anyways, I do agree that judging is purely subjective. Is there anyone who doesn't think judging is subjective?

All voting based competitive activities are all unbelievably subjective compared to other physical scoring based sports. It's one of the main reasons every corps in DCI is incredibly similar in their designing. At least in popular sports people are scored on simple physical aspects. "Did the guy touch home plate? That's a point. Did that guy get thrown out before reaching home plate? No points".

In DCI it's more like "I don't like the way that guy ran around the bases compared to that other guy. Let's only give him half a point."

I think BDB will peak and SCVC will win div II. Both ofthem really are that good! BDB has the better percussion whil SCVC has a great hornline!

Jingle bells batman smells robin laid an egg. Ok hoppy we get it. You are religious. Keep it to yourself.

??

I've never heard either recordings so this situation is most definitely hypothetical to me. For all you know I could be thinking of two completely different recordings of the same tunes you've never heard before. Using the small amount of information you gave me I made a decision. If you wanted a more realistic answer you should've asked a more realistic question.

It's like asking someone "Hey would you rather have sex with Whitney Houston or Marilyn Monroe" without telling them you were actually talking about their dead bodies, and then laughing at them for being a necrophiliac.

Anyways, I do agree that judging is purely subjective. Is there anyone who doesn't think judging is subjective?

All voting based competitive activities are all unbelievably subjective compared to other physical scoring based sports. It's one of the main reasons every corps in DCI is incredibly similar in their designing. At least in popular sports people are scored on simple physical aspects. "Did the guy touch home plate? That's a point. Did that guy get thrown out before reaching home plate? No points".

In DCI it's more like "I don't like the way that guy ran around the bases compared to that other guy. Let's only give him half a point."

But... you stated that you really, really, really, really, dislike Jingle Bells. While judging is subjective, and why I personally do not believe DCI to be a sport, it is up to the judge to place his/her likes or dislikes aside and evaluate the quality of the performance. And good judges can certainly set aside those personal likes/dislikes. It appears to me that you would not be able to set aside your dislike for Jingle Bells to evaluate the quality of the performance of said chart by any ensemble.

Edited by Stu

Jingle bells batman smells robin laid an egg. Ok hoppy we get it. You are religious. Keep it to yourself.

So you are not tolerant of others views; nor do you want diversity of taste, opinion, or music; and you want freedom from religion not freedom of religion; we got it.

• Like 4

Go ahead; make fun... Just be aware that one of most effective musical performances ever in the history of DCI was the Suncoast Sound show called Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child which utilized many children's melodies. It is in the treatment of the chart, not the source material, which makes something great or hokey.

The members even called the show "Variations on Mary Had A Little Lamb".