Why don't the judges like SCV brass?

Recap sheets are interesting.

Drum techs need to work harder; SCV put everyone else's drums to shame.

But what do the sheets say about SCV's brass from the judges perspective (beyond "they liked them 8th", wise guys)?

Head to head this year SCV has the edge 5 to 4 in winning percussion against BD. I wouldn't call it putting them to shame. Yes SCV is downright amazing in drums this year. No doubt. I was blown away when i saw them live in Riverside two weeks ago. But BD isn't no slouch either. I see them going back and forth till finals. Who wins? Don't know. Both of them can throw down.

Edited by sniper282000

Head to head this year SCV has the edge 5 to 4 in winning percussion against BD. I wouldn't call it putting them to shame. Yes SCV is downright amazing in drums this year. No doubt. I was blown away when i saw them live in Riverside two weeks ago. But BD isn't no slouch either. I see them going back and forth till finals. Who wins? Don't know. Both of them can throw down.

Up until last night, Vanguard hadn't beaten BD in drums since June. I think this show is more likely the outlier than the norm at this point.

Vanguard is excellent, but not the best this year in my opinion.

• Like 1

A thousand times, this. Might was well rename the caption "Bet collection of individual brass players". I absolutely hate that brass is judged at the field level. He should be in the box, judging the best brass LINE. Drove me nuts when I was teaching, drives me nuts now.

Maybe they should create a brass judge for the box and one for the field. Hearing things on the field is so much different from up in the box. I'm guessing the judge heard some issues in SCV from person to person more so than the corps ahead of them.

Maybe they should create a brass judge for the box and one for the field. Hearing things on the field is so much different from up in the box. I'm guessing the judge heard some issues in SCV from person to person more so than the corps ahead of them.

I disagree, it's way too easy to bury the brass under a mountain of pit anytime you don't want the box to hear them. If you want judges to actually score the differences between lines, they need to be on the field where they can hear those differences. As a spectator, I find that any time I sit in the front row, I can understand exactly where the brass numbers are coming from. This year, I thought the rehearsal videos of SCV show a fair number of inconsistencies from player to player, so I imagine that's why they aren't placing higher.

In terms of what the brass judge thought in MN, the spreads tell the story

SCV vs. Crown(-1.2)/BD(-1.0): SCV is not comparable to these groups and probably will not beat them

SCV vs. Bluecoats(-0.4)/Cadets(-0.5): SCV has real deficiencies compared to these groups at this point, but things could change at a later point.

Phantom falls somewhere in the middle (-0.7).

Also

SCV vs. Scouts (+0.2): These groups were similar in ability, but the judge thought SCV was a little better

SCV vs. Crusaders(+0.4)/Cavaliers(+0.6): SCV has real superiority to these groups, but the situation might change

SCV vs. Sprit(+0.8) etc.: These groups are not comparable to SCV and probably will not beat them

We'll see if anybody else significantly disagrees with Andy Cook starting tonight.

Isn't this what they did with percussion judges and it turned out to be a bad thing? Especially when you get a bad comment from the box about something that should be the field judges area. Like individual playing techniques, etc. . Sure you can see sticks moving from the box but I'm certain you can't see how they are holding the sick/mallet/etc. .

So while I agree that things are different in the box than on field, I think there should be some training and make it known that judges should only comment on the bigger picture from the box, rather than try to nit pick the little things that they really can't see.