Denton Derby

If someone could teach me how to insert pics, I might post photos.

Upload the photos to a site like imgur.com. Then, place the image links in tags like this:

[img=http://i.imgur.com/YDfCq.jpg]
[img=http://i.imgur.com/MXfqR2.jpg]

etc.

Edited by JayM

Recaps up. Percussion really isn't helping Phantom right now. Hope they get things cleaned up soon.

Yep. 2nd in GE and Visual. Then you have 4th in music. Seems like the brass didn't fare too well either.

Okay, I just got back from the contest a while ago, came in here to see the scores (I knew Blue Devils would win before they even started their performance) and see that BD is ahead by more than two points? No. I'm sorry, but I watched their performance tonight (despite previously designating them my hot dog corps this year) because they are just so awesome, but I'm sorry, there is NO WAY they were that much better than Cadets and Phantom. I actually thought they had kind of an off night tonight. There was a soloist who fracked in one spot and some of the transitions to forms just didn't seem very crisp for them compared to what they've been doing this year.

I LOVED Phantom's show (favorite show of the year). I had a newbie sitting next to me, and she felt the same way I did about Phantom and BD, that is, Phantom is my favorite show and BD my least favorite. Being back to back really made the differences that much more apparent. You had a lovely, easy to follow story with full melodies marched very cleanly (Phantom) followed by all kinds of randomness (yes, I know it's da da, don't start.) cleanly marched drill (other than the issues noted above) and some pretty great musical moments (the biggest reaction from the crowd came after the jam session and they end in the large triangle form) They NEED to change that ending. Everyone was just sitting there, not clapping or anything for a good couple of seconds, so I cued everyone around me by telling them "it's over." They will take the title this year, I am sure of it.

Blue Knights, I gotta say, what the heck are you doing? Those guard outfits were terrible! And the head dress??? Are you serious?? I almost thought BD was going on early it was so absurd. WAY too far out there for my tastes, but hey, I wish em' good luck and I liked the plume change from blue to red. This show is just not my cup of tea is all. They did seem to tone down the electronics a little, thank goodness. I left before Cavies went on to beat traffic. It's a long drive back to Oklahoma. I'll see em' on fan network tomorrow anyway.

Edited by Cardman
  • Like 3

Eh, I thought Phantom was way boring, save for the very end of the show.

BD captivated me most of the way through. Perspectives are funny...

• Like 6

Just got back from the show. What an awesome day! Got to spend some good time watching Academy rehearse and hang out with old friends. This will be my fast, random review...

Blue Devils - I want to talk about BD first because they are of course the large elephant in the room.But honestly folks, this show has it all. I liked it a lot from the viewings online, but it's even more amazing live. They have a lot going on and they're doing it so well that it's gonna be really hard for Crown to close in--even though I would like nothing more than to see this happen. I know Crown's brass is better and that probably won't change, but BD's drumline and ensemble as well completely stole the show in my opinion. Didn't seem like any changes were put in, but it's hard to notice with all the happenings anyway.

The Cavaliers - The new ending works way way way better. I hated the ending to their show previously (c'mon that whole 'play a phrase, then hip wiggle???'), but this one works well with ending in a company front while integrating the opener back in with the closing statement. Much much better.

The Cadets - Still great, even if I don't enjoy the concept. No changes from what I could tell, but can we please please please get the soloist at the beginning of the show to not frack. It seems he's done it in every recording and tonight was no different. Might be time for a change. Otherwise, bravo.

Phantom Regiment - This is still my pick to upset and get 3rd and they didn't let me down tonight. I guess I'm clueless if this hasn't been done before (maybe I just couldn't see on the webcast) but the phantom helmets (heads) on sticks lining the field is brilliant!! They still just play loud with such control and I can't wait to see what tweaks they have in the coming weeks on the GE/Story side.

Blue Knights - Loved the new (at least to me) plooms going from the blue and neon green of the color guard to red at the end looked great. I guess I don't really like the guard unis for most of the show, but it adds some nice color. The bird-flight visuals BK are giving just work fantastically well. I know it's kind of a quirky little show, but it's growing on me. I think they might have passed Blue Stars for good...

Blue Stars - The random prop boards in the background now have underwater scenes: a treasure chest, coral reef, that sort of stuff. But at this point my problem with the show is they seem to be adding stuff just for the sake of adding more stuff. none of the props or docks or nets are adding much to the central concept. I get it, it's a show about the oceans. But with that mini rant aside, their opening brass statement is great. And I've always loved Blue Stars' percussion :worthy: just super fun to watch.

Bluecoats - What a hornline...it probably helped going on after Blue Stars then an intermission, but wow. They really had some jaw-dropping moments throughout. My only complaint is the continuity. It just doesn't seem to flow particularly well, but hey that's me. Also, great job by the guard covering accidental mistakes in the hornline. I guess a contra's helmet came off and members kept kicking it around and such, well one colorguard member walks over and playfully tosses it over the pit--as if part of the show. Between the masks, bass drum sticks and helmet on the field, some mistakes were obviously made tonight, but even more impressively, were covered up just the same.

Academy - I'll say this...the show is definitely growing on me. They have some great moments on the whole, but I think it may be yet another year before they squeeze into finals. They have a lot of pieces, but the dirt is still there and at times, they seem extremely young. Academy's show concepts are always terrific and that's definitely something bright for the future.

Mandarins - Didn't really get to see them...only saw it from the side. They added a mayan temple it seems? Again, I may be super late on some of this stuff.

Overall, another great show at a great venue. Wish I could've made Allentown again (or Finals for that matter), but this was my big bang for the summer of 2012.

Edited by ShouldveMarchedAgeOut
  • Like 3

Bloo. Was. Hot. The changes were still a bit rough but that crisp Bloo sound. Im still not sold on that ending but good news for everyone: the trumpet soloist in the second mvmt was unmic'd! He sounded unreal without. What a tone!

OK - as a fossil of sorts - I love to see soloists going unmiced - but here's the problem: I was on the opposite 40 yard line as that solo and all I could hear was amplified pit! So, finally, I see value in micing a soloist (or more appropriately - turn the dang pit DOWN!).

The reaction on that side of the stadium was crazy - but I heard nothing. If I'd not looked to see what was going on, I'd have had no idea a solo was being played. :(

yes love the blue plumes

But the reds were amazing - good call on that change. It's like 8 minutes of a mess of a show, then the red plumes come out and all of a sudden - THIS is what I wanted to hear (and see).

Big fan of two to three minutes of BK last night.

Okay, I just got back from the contest a while ago, came in here to see the scores (I knew Blue Devils would win before they even started their performance) and see that BD is ahead by more than two points? No. I'm sorry, but I watched their performance tonight (despite previously designating them my hot dog corps this year) because they are just so awesome, but I'm sorry, there is NO WAY they were that much better than Cadets and Phantom. I actually thought they had kind of an off night tonight. There was a soloist who fracked in one spot and some of the transitions to forms just didn't seem very crisp for them compared to what they've been doing this year.

I LOVED Phantom's show (favorite show of the year). I had a newbie sitting next to me, and she felt the same way I did about Phantom and BD, that is, Phantom is my favorite show and BD my least favorite. Being back to back really made the differences that much more apparent. You had a lovely, easy to follow story with full melodies marched very cleanly (Phantom) followed by all kinds of randomness (yes, I know it's da da, don't start.) cleanly marched drill (other than the issues noted above) and some pretty great musical moments (the biggest reaction from the crowd came after the jam session and they end in the large triangle form) They NEED to change that ending. Everyone was just sitting there, not clapping or anything for a good couple of seconds, so I cued everyone around me by telling them "it's over." They will take the title this year, I am sure of it.

Blue Knights, I gotta say, what the heck are you doing? Those guard outfits were terrible! And the head dress??? Are you serious?? I almost thought BD was going on early it was so absurd. WAY too far out there for my tastes, but hey, I wish em' good luck and I liked the plume change from blue to red. This show is just not my cup of tea is all. They did seem to tone down the electronics a little, thank goodness. I left before Cavies went on to beat traffic. It's a long drive back to Oklahoma. I'll see em' on fan network tomorrow anyway.

Hey guys, a soloist fracked one of his solos so Phantom should have won.

• Like 4