Essentials Blu-ray?

Anyone purchase the Essentials Champions Blu-ray at San Antonio this past weekend? Just wondering how it is, any reviews out there of sound, picture, etc.

Thanks

leed17

bumping because i'm curious too. looks there are a lot of good shows on here.

DCI Essentials Blu-Ray: remastered and upscaled-to-1080p versions of 13 past winning shows:

• 1973 Santa Clara Vanguard

• 1975 Madison Scouts

• 1984 Garfield Cadets

• 1986 Blue Devils

• 1989 Santa Clara Vanguard

• 1991 Star of Indiana

• 1994 Blue Devils

• 1996 Phantom Regiment

• 1999 Blue Devils

• 2000 The Cavaliers

• 2005 The Cadets

• 2006 The Cavaliers

• 2007 Blue Devils

Edited by skywhopper

Well, I see no one has responded with a review for the new blu-ray after my initial post, so I'll give it a review myself. I ordered it from DCI and just got it on Friday...

For those who wonder whether its worth it when you already have the Legacy DVD set - it IS worth it. I have watched it now a few times, various corps, and I can honestly say the sound and picture are BETTER than the originals. I even compared the 2000 Cavies on the Blu-ray to my 2000 DCI DVD set with Cavies on it, and the Blu-ray was better. My blu-ray player upconverts DVD video, and even though it upconverted the old DVD, the blu-ray STILL had a clearer picture and better sound. Its still not hi-def, and never will be due to the original being recorded in standard def, but its certainly close. The sound is also better, and I have an older receiver (Yamaha from 2000) that doesn't even have the latest 5.1 DTS lossless sound. The best I get is DTS digital surround, but you can tell it is still clearer and better than the originals. I plan on upgrading the receiver soon, and then it will be awesome :)

Having the 73 Vanguard on the blu-ray is a bonus. Its in black and white and high cam only, but its cool to have it.

I watched 86 Blue Devils, and it was REALLY cool to see it that clear and hear that clear again! I felt like an 18 year old kid :)

I personally love the blu-ray, and am glad I bought it. I know there will be some that may not think its worth it. To me, it is.

Thanks Tom Blair -

PS - now I want ALL the DVD legacy set to be remastered like these :) I know that probably won't happen, but its nice to dream.

Please put out more in this "Essentials" series - I will certainly buy them!

leed17

• Like 1

Well, I see no one has responded with a review for the new blu-ray after my initial post, so I'll give it a review myself. I ordered it from DCI and just got it on Friday...

For those who wonder whether its worth it when you already have the Legacy DVD set - it IS worth it. I have watched it now a few times, various corps, and I can honestly say the sound and picture are BETTER than the originals. I even compared the 2000 Cavies on the Blu-ray to my 2000 DCI DVD set with Cavies on it, and the Blu-ray was better. My blu-ray player upconverts DVD video, and even though it upconverted the old DVD, the blu-ray STILL had a clearer picture and better sound. Its still not hi-def, and never will be due to the original being recorded in standard def, but its certainly close. The sound is also better, and I have an older receiver (Yamaha from 2000) that doesn't even have the latest 5.1 DTS lossless sound. The best I get is DTS digital surround, but you can tell it is still clearer and better than the originals. I plan on upgrading the receiver soon, and then it will be awesome :)

Having the 73 Vanguard on the blu-ray is a bonus. Its in black and white and high cam only, but its cool to have it.

I watched 86 Blue Devils, and it was REALLY cool to see it that clear and hear that clear again! I felt like an 18 year old kid :)

I personally love the blu-ray, and am glad I bought it. I know there will be some that may not think its worth it. To me, it is.

Thanks Tom Blair -

PS - now I want ALL the DVD legacy set to be remastered like these :) I know that probably won't happen, but its nice to dream.

Please put out more in this "Essentials" series - I will certainly buy them!

leed17

Yet another reason I wish they had Cadets 2000 on that Blu-ray. :doh:

My only gripe is original aspect ratio. Not sure anything could've been done to modify it without losing quality. Just don't like watching a regular TV on a widescreen.

My only gripe is original aspect ratio. Not sure anything could've been done to modify it without losing quality. Just don't like watching a regular TV on a widescreen.

I agree - although I did switch modes sometimes and watched full screen mode. I believe the intent was to keep the original aspect ratio due to that giving the best quality. Switching to full screen didn't change much, and I actually liked the 4:3 ratio after watching a while because it just looked more realistic (no stretching on the outsides, etc) It took a little getting used to though.

leed17