San Antonio Review

Great review

Thanks for the great review! Very interesting AND informative. Getting me very hyped for the Atlanta show! Will make sure I don't miss Crosmen now.

I have to agree about Bluecoats. Probably my favorite corps in recent years and even though I love the show, it just doesnt POP like some others do.

So many corps are cranking up the bass so much from synthesizers, it is getting more tiring to sit through a day long show - far more so than it used to be.

I'm on here so infrequently and a much less of a DCI fan after 34 years for that very reason. The power of the pure sound made by drums and bugles is now being drowned out by electronics. It's a shame that it's getting even worse.

On the bright side, I've saved a lot of money and time not buying tickets or traveling to shows, or buying t-shirts, CD's or DVD's, etc. Heck, I've even saved a significant amount of time not being on this site for hours on end, because I'm not interested in hearing about my favorite corps ruining their shows, and therefore won't be disappointed when I see/read/hear what they've done!

I respect your opinion and understand it certainly. I myself am not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater - some corps seem to find ways to creatively use electronics and synths as an accent and do it quite tastefully and effectively. There are others, though, that are too liberal in use (especially on the bass) and the judges don't seem to want to either throw more reward towards those that don't in music captions, or penalize those that do... Just my 2 cents.

Harvey

I just got back yesterday from one of my favorite days of the summer, the big regional in San Antonio that seems to kick start the stretch run of the Drum Corps Season every year. My overall thinking is what a great year from Drum Corps! So many talented corps this year - maybe the best top 18 I've ever seen collectively in my 23 years of attending DCI Finals. My other overall thought. So many corps are cranking up the bass so much from synthesizers, it is getting more tiring to sit through a day long show - far more so than it used to be. I'll not digress further into that for now.

I once again had great seats for the show - 3rd row of the upper deck, on the Side 1 42 yard line. :thumbup:

I did miss a few early shows, so please don't flame me for that.

Starting with what I saw, and trying to limit this to overall impressions since memories fade fast from such a long show...

Oregon Crusaders - WOW! This to me is clearly an Open Class Corps on the move! A very large corps, with real power and design sophistication. While not up to the level of Magic of Orlando in 2002, this corps has a bit of that feel - very ready to compete with the World Class Corps. I think they could easily finish in the top 20. The uniform looks sharp on the field, the guard was large (please be on time, guard!), and the show was entertaining.

Revolution - Very much appears to be a re-building year for Revolution. Perhaps having 3 Open Class Corps, a World Class Corps, plus other World Class corps that hold winter camps in Texas is hurting their recruiting a bit. The design of this show is written for a more mature, larger corps. I really don't understand why some lower World Class corps and many Open Class corps don't design more accessible, audience engaging shows. To me the crowd energy they would gain from these type of performances would boost their members' performances, and leave warmer memories that would build a higher return rate for vets - building to stronger futures.

Pioneer - Not a lot stands out in my memory 2 days later year. I thought Pioneer was competent and somewhat entertaining, but as I've said before, they should really be competing in Open Class with these numbers. Another small corps with a pit & battery that outnumbr the hornline. Better balanced than many corps in that situation though.

Cascades - I think this is a tasty product from a small but competent corps. While small in numbers, there is some very evident talent in the corps. The show is not overly memorable, however. I'm a huge fan of their current corps uniform though. Very sharp.

Mandarins - I will say this show sold a bit better on 2nd viewing (first being in Denton). The highlight is definitely the percussion/tribal dance feature. I wish it was longer, and I would suggest they take the "break" out of the middle of it - that break interupts the momentum. The brief weaving in of a 2012 drill form is creative and interesting. The corps is clearly being powered by their excellent drum line. Also, only one "Shako Casualty" to the drum break Saturday - a nice improvement from Thursday in Denton. This is a watchable and entertaining show - just not up to the standards that Mandarins set for much of the last 20 yeras.

Jersey Surf - Wow! Very old school, but very powerful and entertaining. Much of the show from a a visual perspective is too slow, but who cares? This show is so fun. And the hornline really cranks out some power. Keep it up, Surf - you are winning fans everywhere you go. Despite the old school show, this show was WILDLY popular to the teenagers sitting around me.

Pacific Crest - Another very powerful corps with a strong hornline. I also think PC upped the demand in their visual program this year with a better drill. The True Colors section of the show is my favorite. As has been my take on PC for several years, I do wish they would find some more melodic, impactful music books. I don't see them passing Troopers for 17th, but it IS possible.

Troopers - As I've said before based on the Denver standstill - this show vehicle is a waste of what is probably the most talented corps Troopers have brought to the field in their modern re-birth. Seeing the music put to the field with the visual doesn't change that opinion at all. The music book is simply un-interesting - and a sprinkling of very powerful power chords don't make up for that. The show did sell a bit better this time. Kudos to the KIDS, as they are really performing a poor vehicle very well.

Colts - There is a youth and raggedness to the corps that makes it unlikely that Colts can move up in placements, but you know what? This is still a VERY memorable show. So much cleaning to do, though - especially visually. I got so distracted watching some incredibly bad spacing and alignment in the Contra Section. Come on, guys! Those horns are so big, you really stick out. The closing minute for colts is very rousing. I do think there is a bit of an identity crisis with this corps, though. They seemed to have found a very strong formula in 2007-2008 that they are deviating a bit from.

Academy - I think some others may like this show more than me. I have been a HUGE Academy fan since 2006, but this show just doesn't do it for me. The music arrangements are not interesting - and are chopped to death. The drill is a big step up for Academy - in fact, the whole show is a step forward for them demand-wise. However, their accessibility takes a huge hit without the powerful, melodic writing Klesch was doing for them for a while. Also, the corps really needs to to take a step forward design wise in regards to Color Guard if they want to crack the code for Finals.

Glassmen - Glassmen seem to be a bit stuck without a calling card for identity. I really think this show is solid, but not particularly memorable or emotionally engaging. The corps has taken a huge step forward in brass performance (and power), which is nice to see. I just don't see this is a finalist-caliber design, though. Finalist caliber talent, for sure.

Crossmen - Could you get more polar opposite on connecting with the crowd between Academy/Glassmen and Crossmen? Wow, it's so exciting to see Crossmen on year 2 of a rennaissance that is returning to their roots, becoming more competitive and thoroughly audience-engaging. The brass staff (and arrangements) are as much better this year as 2011 was over the few years before that. The Michael Jackson piece is wonderful, too. So great to see and hear such power and passion from Crossmen. The visual touch with all the silloutte figutes is also very creative and interesting. It's too bad there are not 13 spots in Finals. Someone with a top-12 caliber show is not going to make Finals this year. I'm just not sure Crossmen are the odd-man out. Clearly, we have 13 corps race for 12 spots. Whatever you do, don't miss Crossmen this summer!

Blue Stars - Blue Stars continue to make strides with a show that was painful to watch and listen to at the movies in June. The hornline was powerful again Saturday, but with better tone quality and blend than in Denton just 2 nights before. Upon 3rd listen, the music book is also starting to work more for me. The guard is also stellar. I think Crossmen have a stronger overall vehicle, but Blue Stars have 4 years of Finals experience, challenging demand, and will not be easy for Crossmen to pass. The Blue (ocean) theme is starting to come across better - though like last year, the design of this program doesn't measure up to their 2008-2010 programs.

Blue Knights - I gushed on them in Denton. Glad to see some others are seeing what I am. Blue Knights really turned people off with a very rough show at Stanford in June, but wow, is this showing coming together. A very difficult, but VERY well designed show overall. The visual design is state of the art, with the guard really addiing a ton to the show. The music arrangements are somehow both fresh & new but also retain much of the brilliance and power of Firebird. Far less choppy than Academy's taken on Rite of Spring (plus other pieces) or Blue Star's arrangements of other familiar classics. The transformation to the Firebird/Phoenix is very exciting in the Finale (notice even the PIT changes costumes), and the closing drill is terrrific - right down to the very effective closing set. Hands down the most effective silks in DCI this year from the guard, too. IF they can clean (and they have a long gap to close with Spirit on that front), they DO have a shot at catching Spirit. I do think they were a bit more exciting in Denton than they were in San Antonio, though.

Spirit of Atlanta - This is getting repetitive, but wow, here's another great show. Spirit looks so polished & professional - what a re-birth the last 2 years have been for them! The program is powerful, modern and accessible. The props all fit an over-the-top design that just says Vegas, too. Great choice of music & programming to bring back the elements of Spirit of Atlanta that really have resonated through time. Hard to find a weakness in this show - and how in the world did Cavaliers beat them in GE Music? Could threaten Cavaliers and Boston, but I think demand may keep them from doing so by Finals.

Cavaliers - I have a ton of admiration for the kids in this corps. They've been given a vehicle that is not worthy of the corps they joined but are putting their all into doing what they can with it. I can't help but think about the parallels from this show & Phantom Regiment's Red Violin show. Both shows represented hard placement falls for each corps after a string of successful years, and both vehicles are the problem, not the talent of the kids. While this show is not as poor visually as Red Violin was, the music book here is far worse, and just has no flow. Perhaps this is the Cavaliers' worst show design since they ascended up the competitive ranks in the 80s. There are segments that are quite competent, but there is no momentum or coherent theme that really comes out. Just saying "15 minutes of Fame" in various ways over and over again does not a coherent, easy to grasp theme make. If Boston's visual design was stronger, I would see no chance for Cavaliers to make the top 8. I hope they prove me wrong, but they are running out of time, and making major changes this late is an extremely tall order. Also, the "goo" from the electronics and the over-laying of the low brass with the bass synths is out of control for Cavaliers - one of the worst offenders Saturday in mirror the low brass parts with the bass from the synthesizers (along with Madison & Blue Devils).

Boston Crusaders - I just love the music program Boston is bringing this year. The guard is also fabulous. The drill writing, though, may hold this corps back. The visual program from an ensemble perspective is just not that strong, and opportunities for greater effect are lost. I think the White Plumes were also much more effective for this corps than the current red ones. . I appreciate the improved power Boston is bring this year. A very respectable 70th anniversary show for Boston.

Madison Scouts - I was very hyped to see & hear this show for the first time, but left a bit disappointed. I'm hoping upon 2nd listen the music book will be more coherent and flow better than it did to my ear tonight. The constant movement back and forth from Pictures to snippets of Madison's Greatest Hits just isn't selling that well for me, at least in comparison to their far more pleasing music books in 2010 and 2011. Scouts have at least upped the demand visually a bit this year, which does help sell the show. Still, it's a very entertaining last 60 seconds that saves this show. I think recreating the guard concept from the end of the 1995 show, though, is a huge mistake. The guard was not at all memorable to me from Saturday. Lots of work to do on that front if they want to securely stay in 7th. I do not see them challenging Bluecoats - but again, first viewings are often dangerous, and opinions can change quickly with 2nd & 3rd viewings. I agree with other posters, though - Madison is a HUGE abuser of the synthesizers to cover the low brass. Madisynth, I think someone called them. Very appropriate. Please back off.

Bluecoats - one of my favorite shows this year. The music is enjoyable and the music performances are just terrific. It's hard to put a finger on what's missing from this show, but it doesn't have much of a "wow" element to it. While definitely one of my top 5 favorite shows of the year, Bluecoats are just missing an "it" factor that would for me have this show challenging for a higher placement. The ending, while new, is also a bit of a let-down. One other kudos - the first flag is SO effective for Bluecoats, and the guard has some great moments on ensemble flag with it.

Santa Clara Vanguard - What a solid, effective show for Vanguard. I can't say that I love the music arrangement, but they are solidly effective. The power of the brass line is VASTLY improved over recent years (and yes, you can credit some of that to arranging too, I suppose). The layering in of a few strains of Music of the Night in the closer is a nice touch - but adding another 15-20 seconds to those strains would make it FAR more effective (let it build and then climax?). Visually, the drill is a joy to watch. I don't see SCV challenging Phantom Regiment though - nor likely Cadets (though possibly Cadets). The music book just isn't there from a GE perspective, and the Brass Line, while DRASTICALLY improved, is not up to that of Regiment or Cadets.

The Cadets - I appreciate this show more every time I see it (a good sign). I still think Carol of the Bells is FAR too long, but it didn't wear on me as much this time as it did in Denton. The drill for Cadets is a joy to watch - as is how well the corps marches that drill. The guard program is far from my favorite from Cadets, though, and particularly I feel the guard is wasted in the "Do You Hear What I Hear" ballad. GE-wise, I don't see this corps being able to pass Regiment, though cleaning up a demanding visual show will keep them competitive. Placements aside, Kudos to Cadets for pulling of a concept that could have been a tough sell. The show is very engaging, and even beautiful in some places. The Jingle Bells section is a blast, too.

Phantom Regiment - I have a huge bias for PR (my favorite corps), but wow, I just can't get enough of this show. The 11 minutes just fly by, with a brilliant design that just flows so well. I love that the corps gives us such a wide open, readable drill, and if you watch close enough, there is tremendous exposure and some very solid, high velocity demand in places in this show visually. Musically, the show has so many high point, effective moments. My favorite actually comes right BEFORE Nessum Dorma. So regal, asian & powerful. Nessum Dorma starts off so well, but the weakest part of the show remains the last 30 seconds. I'm not sure how they fix it musically and effect-wise, but if they can, this is definitely a dark horse in Indy- assuming they can stabilize (a big IF) their percussion scores further. Their overall GE & Ensemble scores are legit, though, and should give Regiment Phans a lot ot hope for - as well as appreciate. Also, a noticeable step up in power from the hornline - even just from Denton to San Antonio. Some real wow moments with brass power without crassness or individuals sticking out at all. :worthy:

Carolina Crown - You know, I expected to see a lot more dirt than I saw Saturday night. What an incredible job this corps is already doing with such a demanding visual and music book. So much more effective in person, too, than on Video. If I was a betting person, I'd still put a bit of money on Crown pulling off a late season charge to first - but then I also have an admitted bias against the visual approach Blue Devils are taking. I also LOVE that Crown is giving us so many POWERFUL moments from the brass line with ZERO augmentation from the synths. I believe they should get more credit for accomplishing that. Some real goose bump moments in the Fanfare sections of the show. I still don't particularly love the color scheme for the guard in the show, though (expecially the first half of the show) - I think Regiment's guard is far more effective and memorable.

Blue Devils - Now that I have 2 live viewings in the books, I have to say I really like BD's music book and performance this year. Just a powerhouse on that front. While I get the concept, though, I just am left wanting so much more from their visual program. I think the approach is fit for a WGI floor, not a drum corps show. The lack of readable and demanding drill is an affront to what this activity has done to build such a large and loyal fan base over the years. The most effective shows have almost ALWAYS combined visual and music moments into one in the best of the activity's wow moments. (Think Star of Indiana's finale in 1991, or SCV in 1999, Cavaliers in 2006, Regiment in 2006 or 2008, Cadets in 1992 or 2005, etc). Regardless of theme, just watching people wander around takes the awe out of a drum corps show performance for me. I realize some others may have very different tastes. To my taste, I don't want to see a DCI Champion with so little drill or drill demand. I do think Crown can catch them for this reason, and while it's a long shot, I wouldn't be shocked if a clean, emotional Regiment show nips BD in Indy- just as they've done at Finals to BD in 2005, 2006 and 2008. And BD, your hornline is too good - please stop covering both chords and notes for the low brass with the synths!!!

One more July show for me in Dallas tomorrow night, then 10 days of excitement to build before I hit Allentown, the TOC finale & Finals in Indy. Isn't this time of year awesome? :)

Harvey

GREAT REVIEW.

We share some very similar thoughts. Thirteen very strong corps with strong shows for 12 spots. Cleaning will start to become a big factor.

I too think Crossmen have a stronger show than Blue Stars. but also Blue Knights. All three shows are so different and what is great skill/section for one of these three is a weakness for the other two, etc.

Yes, With so many positive this year, Spirit seems a real stand out to me. Last season was a great come back for them. An event that historically is followed by said corps falling back out of finals the following year.

The show is so well crafted and clever, and super entertaining. The show also is not a mere notch up from last season, but several. If this momentum keeps going, next year could be pretty terrific.

I am not a fan of Madison's arrangements for the same reasons. As a composer and music professor, I constantly hear some of my colleagues not only complaining about the lack of musicality in drum corps, but the lost art

of great arranging skills. My ears just can't get past it. The transcribed phrases of Pictures however work extremely well. I think many people are listening and seeing with their hearts and not always with their ears and eyes.

I get it. The over use of synth was incredibly distracting and I assume worthy of at least a lowered place in music analysis. Though, back to that heart attachment to Madison thing, even from judges.

I agree with your takes on Cadets and Phantom. An effective new ending for Phantom could lock in the 3rd placement. Like them both.

We will see what happens with the top two. I enjoy Crown's show most. ND makes me work too much, but there is sometimes something to be said for that. Seems that demand would hve to play a pretty big role in the evaluation. I have heard for years. . ."When things/captions and sub captions are equal", demand becomes a tipping factor.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review.