SCV Cymbal Line

How hard is it to make a DCI Cymbal Line let alone Santa Clara Vanguard?

As hard as any other corps. You just need dedication and a willingness to learn (and enough talent) to beat out the others trying out. I know SCV never keeps the same number of people on cymbals from year to year, so the trick is to make them like you enough to keep you around.

• Like 1

How hard is it to make a DCI Cymbal Line let alone Santa Clara Vanguard?

It's a very specialized instrument, so it takes lots of training in just cymbals. And they are NOT light at all. The cymbal players are some of the most BA people I have ever seen in drum corps, and they are extremely hardcore about everything they do. They do push-ups after almost every single rep, whether they were perfect or not. And many of the ones who go to SCV come from other corps with cymbal lines because of the training to do it.

How many World Class corps still have cymbal lines? I know SCV, Academy, Spirit, Colts, Pioneer, who else?

I thought I heard SCV has female cymbals, but that was SCVC. Add Surf to the list for World Class.

Edited by jonnyboy

I thought I heard SCV has female cymbals, but that was SCVC. Add Surf to the list for World Class.

SCV had a female cymbal player in 2005, and that I think was the only time. She really took one for the team, and shaved half of her head so she'd fit in with the boys with the aussie on

add xmen to the list

but the other answer is: not enough

True! Not enough cymbal lines! I'm still mad that Madison dropped theirs. I think every corps should have a cymbal line. :tongue: Such a cool instrument that can do so many visual and musical things you just don't see with cymbals in the pit