Crown is... just okay.

Many of the people commenting on Crown in this post should be glad that a couple of die hard Crown loyalist are at Nightbeat tonight and not on DCP, otherwise you all would be getting a lot of negativity from a least one person who bothers me on a continuous basis :P. Some people take loyalty to their corps as a life and death issue. SO STUPID!!!!!

Edited by Corbin
  • Like 2

Many of the people commenting on Crown in this post should be glad that a couple of die hard Crown loyalist are at Nightbeat tonight and not on DCP, otherwise you all would be getting a lot of negativity from a least one person who bothers me on a continuous basis :P. Some people take loyalty to their corps as a life and death issue. SO STUPID!!!!!

FWIW Corbin I think you've been much better this year :-) But I understand the CCFMMs getting a little upset with some of what you post :-\ They don't think you should ever criticize your corps in public (and I respect that POV too).

Anyway I think if Crown pulls out the win this season, you'll stand up and clap and then *still* want to fire the entire visual staff :colgate:

• Like 2

FWIW Corbin I think you've been much better this year :-) But I understand the CCFMMs getting a little upset with some of what you post :-\ They don't think you should ever criticize your corps in public (and I respect that POV too).

Anyway I think if Crown pulls out the win this season, you'll stand up and clap and then *still* want to fire the entire visual staff :colgate:

I learned the only way I was going to get any peace from a certain person was to reframe the critiques so they seemed lighter. I appreciate dialogue and loyalty to the proper things. Drum Corps did not radically change my life one way or the other. I am now a fan only. When Crown's staff does something well, I will give them credit. If not, they won't get it. By the way, Madison isn't doing that great in percussion this year. Wonder why? Maybe their instructor is loosing passion. I'd be afraid to see what Crown's percussion score would be this year with that person leading it. Sorry, this perspective seems true.

Oh! and how bout that Madison guard this year. Where was that head person last year?

Edited by Corbin
  • Like 2

No worries when talking personal tastes: we all like different stuff, and if the activity had 25 corps that all sound/look the same things would get pretty boring.

However saying you would score a corps low, and then following up that assessment with "I don't understand judging" is kind of odd, no?

That scoring was on my personal scoring system of enjoyment and my comprehension level of "cleanliness" with "cleanliness" being pretty simple compared to what judges actually judge: are the lines straight, are flags in sync, etc.

Edited by NeutralNovice

I'm still awaiting the expalnation for the Mighty Ducks reference.

lol almost forgot about that...

well I'll start with this. During SCV's ballad, I seriously thought that it was the same song used in the movie Contact w/ Jodie Foster. I was thinking, "Awesome, because that piece is great AND it definitely has to do with Starry Night." Turns out, it wasn't that song at all--but oh well. Also, I thought that the American opening credits for Battlestar Galactica copied SCV's 1999 opener but again, it wasn't so.

So... being that Crown's show is "For The Common Good," I associated the opening music with that of music from the Mighty Ducks movies. It's been years since I've seen the movies but that was really the first thing that popped into my head. The music Crown is using is of course, NOT music from the MD movies but again, that was just my reaction.

Also, it's not a bad thing either--I liked the MD movies and didn't the Ducks win at the end ALL the time after struggling against foes who were seemingly bigger and stronger?

I have only seen this show once, and that was on opening night in the theater...so take this for what is worth.

I am a big Copland fan so this show is great to me. Percussion was a bit of a let down to me especially compared to recent years. But their concert bass drum line is well appreciated.

My thought is that this show will peak (hopefully) on finals night. While this is obviously the goal, I feel that this show won't continue getting better until its all said and done.

Again, I havent seen this since opening night but from what I saw there, it had the design to take top honors. IMHO

• Like 1

I haven't read every post in this thread....

But I have one question... For those of you that do not enjoy Crown this year, have you seen the show live and in person or only on your computer or in the theater?

I say this because even though I am outspoken against BD this year for their overrated show..... their performance live in person when I finally saw them last night was amazing. THEY are performing the #### out of that show. I have an issue with the show design and that will never go away, but they really just stood out.

i guess my 2nd question is, Do you not like the design or the performance?

...and honestly if you don't, it doesn't bother me. I have disliked other popular shows. SCV 09, PR 96, etc. I just didn't get it. To each their own. It's ok to have varying tastes. <see that BD fans>