Crown is... just okay.

I just wish they could've done it while staying true to their identity. I don't feel like I'm watching the same corps.

Gee, I think one of Crown's strength's is not being locked into an identity. I never know what to expect from them. They seem to want to try a lot of things.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 1

There seems to be a lovefest going on for Carolina Crown's show. While their show is good--it just doesn't grab me.

I saw it for the 2nd time tonight on FN and just thought that their show sounded like a Mighty Ducks movie. While that's not necessarily a bad thing (Mighty Ducks DO win in the end every time) but I just cannot get into their music.

And it also seems like they are running for absolutely no reason--they're good, don't get me wrong--but I just cannot connect their music with their show.

Perhaps I just don't get it--since I am certainly not the most musically educated here, but the simple truth is that I don't really dig their show BUT I can appreciate their hard work.

If I were to judge, I'd have them below BD, Cadets, and Phantom with SCV possibly taking them over if their drill and guard (especially guard) clean up. Good thing I am not a judge though because I have no idea how to differentiate between the subtleties. BD's brass vs. Crowns and everyone else? Nope, I can't tell the difference who's better.

I hope I don't catch a lot of crap for not liking Crown's show.

Blasphemy!!!

Not sure if this is possible :blink: but I love both CC and BD shows this year, I think they are both pretty spectacular! :babies:

Personally I really enjoy both Crown's show and BD's show this year. Is that possible?

Sorry, no. This would cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space-time contiuum. You have to pick one or the other.

:cool:

Edited by skajerk

I admit I don't understand this criticism. The drill is crazy at times, but I think the franticness of the drill matches the music perfectly. And the tension in the drill resolves along with the tension in the music.

And then contrast that with the achingly slow full-field slowly building company front in Fanfare, which again matches the highly ordered, deliberately paced music perfectly.

To some extent there *is* an element of performing incredible feats just for the hell of it. I take that to match the theme of the show. Individuals can do incredible things on their own, but as demonstrated during the percussion feature, sometimes it causes consequences for the rest of the group. So when the backfield timpani calls everyone to order, uniforms are tweaked, and now everyone is working together, slowly at first, and then once they realize their power together (the resolution of Fanfare and the company front and the lifting of the cube), they blast off into an even higher energy finale with drill just as speedy as the opener, but with a much more highly ordered structure (the scalene triangle and the rotating cube). :thumbup:

(And then they close with the Crown, the strongest shape known to mankind. :w00t:)

Thanks so much for this explanation! The show makes more sense to me and is more enjoyable as a result. :smile:

Yep, this. I have a feeling that BD is similar. So much so that I just dropped good coin to go to the TOC show in Jersey night after Allentown, because I want to be able to see BD, SCV and Phantom live (I have seen Crown and Cadets). BD and SCV I already love and HAVE to see live, and I want to love Phantom as much as others are, so I am hoping that the live performance gets me!

Yup, I was really really impressed with BD live this year (after being disappointed with them live last year).

Apparently falling all over yourself trying to march and not being able to lock in a straight line while the battery craps the bed for 90% of the show should be winning DCI this year. I don't blame the kids, I blame the staff! (See how stupid that sounds?)

• Like 4

Apparently falling all over yourself trying to march and not being able to lock in a straight line while the battery craps the bed for 90% of the show should be winning DCI this year. I don't blame the kids, I blame the staff! (See how stupid that sounds?)

I have no idea what your point is, but I do agree you sound pretty stupid. :thumbup:

• Like 2

I have no idea what your point is, but I do agree you sound pretty stupid. :thumbup:

My point is that this is the exact type of crap that these Crown honks spout out. They put down BD or defend booing under the guise of "I am blaming the staff, not the kids, so it is ok to be an ######## and if anyone gets angry at that or points out I'm being disingenuous then they are wrong, not me!"

• Like 2

I enjoy Crown, I would love to see a new champion this year, not out of any dislike for the Blue Devils, but it's been a while since we've had a different corps win, and I think it's time, so long so the corps is deserving. Crown could be that corps. I'm also not sure DCP has a love affair with Crown. Last year's "Rach Star" show was panned time and time again as nothing more than a good performance by a high school band, an ultimate DCP insult. Chances are if you look back far enough, you'll see posts that claim their 2009 show "The Grass is Always Greener" was a fluke and finished second was due to a less than top notch performance by competitors and this past winter some predicted Crown had peaked last year and would plummet this year. Love of Crown may be due more to a dislike of Blue Devils, and we've seen thread after thread where the Blue Devils and their show designers are practically responsible for global warming, unrest in the Middle East, and any other evil of our world.

Now as far as Crown is concerned, for many years my only exposure was DVD, and I was indifferent at best. I don't recall when I saw them perform live for the first time, but that made a huge difference for me. I'm thinking the same could hold true for others. I've noticed in other threads that those who have seen Crown live are scratching their heads as to why Crown has not yet topped Blue Devils. People who watch live stream can say exactly why. While all corps are better live, some need to be experienced live to be appreciated, and this may be the case with Crown.

• Like 1

One thing to keep in mind when discussing the scores is that the brass, percussion, and visual proficiency judges are on the field with the marchers. So what they see and hear, especially in the brass and VP captions, is *wildly* different than what the audience can see and hear in the stands, which is again wildly different than what we can see on our computer screens especially with a multicam stream.

• Like 1