Crown is... just okay.

I'm going to have to agree with OP on this one, and I'm glad someone else finally has my same thoughts on the Crown show this year. It honestly just seems like what they're doing visually is unnecessary. Don't get me wrong, the brass sounds amazing, but it seems like they're moving far distances for no reason. I also don't really understand the show concept just by watching the show, I needed it explained to me then it kind of made sense. Just my opinions.

• Like 4

Hey hey... I criticize the corps. 2002 and 2004 come to mind. We aren't all blind loyalists.

Don't get me started on the lack of a TRUE alumni association

I always kinda wanted to work with Eric to start one, but I think it'd be too much of a full-time undertaking for me, considering I have a full-time job now. Maybe alumni organization by committee, a la the Redskins' running game?

Hi Garry, this is a quote just after yours. Makes my point about focusing hatred on BD. Gets old reading this crap, but at least the judges see things in a more objective light.

"When you have a tremendously difficult program accompanied by great performance, then it's not hard to see why people would think Crown should win. If you aren't a BD homer and look at the visual for more than 2 minutes, you realize that BD simply doesn't measure up. You can see that they're incredibly dirty and "nonsense" forms are "justified" by the dada concept. The fact is, it's dirty as hell and they're getting away with it. Furthermore, they have no effect but somehow they are capturing the general effect captions. Maybe that's why they're getting golf-clapped and boos every time scores are announced. There's no doubt about thier performance. These guys are performing at a level unmatched this year. Like holy crap... BD is great on the individual level. But why they're winning GE, I'll never know. Why they're winning Visual, I'll never know. "

OK, it's obvious they don't care for the show. To each his own. But I see nowhere in their comments where they say, "I hate them, and I hate their show." You're reading between the lines, and there's nothing there.

• Like 5

The show does still seem "forced" in that there is a lot of scrambling and running around for no apparent reason.

it seems like they're moving far distances for no reason.

I find this amazing from drum corps fans. They're moving fast and running around a lot because the fact they can do it while playing that music IS AWESOME! :w00t:

• Like 3

I enjoy the show and I appreciate what they're trying to do, but they are not marching well. I feel that they are getting the benefit of the doubt because the drill and music design is strong (not necessarily the overall concept).

Blue Devils are moving at a different level individually and as an ensemble. Cadets and Phantom also seem technically better. If you're going to do something that challenging, then you need to be clean at the end. I just don't see them getting there.

• Like 1

You answered that earlier (see below, with an edit to pop it out), many people don’t get the design concept there so it just looks like pointless marching

Plus, something odd about the drill there, maybe it was the dirt when I saw it (a few weeks back) but some of that front part looked like it could never be cleaned because there were not enough people in the ranks to define the lines

I admit I don't understand this criticism. The drill is crazy at times, but I think the franticness of the drill matches the music perfectly. And the tension in the drill resolves along with the tension in the music.

And then contrast that with the achingly slow full-field slowly building company front in Fanfare, which again matches the highly ordered, deliberately paced music perfectly.

To some extent there *is* an element of performing incredible feats just for the hell of it. I take that to match the theme of the show. ........ but with a much more highly ordered structure (the scalene triangle and the rotating cube). :thumbup:

(And then they close with the Crown, the strongest shape known to mankind. :w00t:)

Crowns show is good but it doesn’t Wow me, I agree with a lot that has been said already. It’s a nice show and I do like it but I don’t love it, maybe by finals I wil like it more as I liked it far better the second time I saw it than the first

If I were to put it above BD now, then I’d have it in 3rd, BD in fourth which would be a different take on the sheets

and I want the CatCam for Crown and BD !!!!!!!!

it seems like a lot of people are missing the "super human" quality of all the super fast drill moves and amazing come out of no where stops and impacts

fits their show theme VERY well

They are "superhuman" drum corps gods. IMHO.

Besides - it's darn FUN too. And COOL.

DADA that.

• Like 2

Interestingly we seem unable to stick to the fact that this thread is about CAROLINA CROWN!

Na, BD doesn't get a hard time on these boards... Lol

Back to your little CROWN thread

• Like 1

I enjoy the show and I appreciate what they're trying to do, but they are not marching well. I feel that they are getting the benefit of the doubt because the drill and music design is strong (not necessarily the overall concept).

Blue Devils are moving at a different level individually and as an ensemble. Cadets and Phantom also seem technically better. If you're going to do something that challenging, then you need to be clean at the end. I just don't see them getting there.

To say they are "not marching very well" is a bit of an exaggeration - are we all THAT jaded?

They march and look wonderful, but struggle in the interim marching

It will get cleaner by finals but yes - BD will be CLEANER - but cleanest doesn't always win. BD was cleaner last year than Cadets, and we see what happened there...

SIMULTANEOUS DEMAND still matters.

Crown will end up winning Brass & GE Music. GE visual is a toss up. It will come down to drums. Crown should get out the hoses and try to make the drum line as clean and effective as possible.

I still give the edge to Crown, more room to grow IMO.

• Like 2

I LOVE Crowns show. Let me state that right off.

BUT, I do believe they are the current recipient of the "Anti-BD" sentiments.

Usually, whoever is the closest perceived "Threat" to the "Favorite" gets a lot of extra hype.

Sort of like if the Yankees and the Brewers were to play in the World Series. Suddenly, you would see 49 states (And half of NY) turn into Brewers fans. Not because they actually like Milwaukee, but because they want to see the Yanks fall.

That being said, I can see Phantom Regiment pushing BOTH of those corps! I think either way, this will be the best top 5 since 1992!