Crown is... just okay.

Seems like a lot of the time they're running around just for the sake of running around.

I admit I don't understand this criticism. The drill is crazy at times, but I think the franticness of the drill matches the music perfectly. And the tension in the drill resolves along with the tension in the music.

And then contrast that with the achingly slow full-field slowly building company front in Fanfare, which again matches the highly ordered, deliberately paced music perfectly.

To some extent there *is* an element of performing incredible feats just for the hell of it. I take that to match the theme of the show. Individuals can do incredible things on their own, but as demonstrated during the percussion feature, sometimes it causes consequences for the rest of the group. So when the backfield timpani calls everyone to order, uniforms are tweaked, and now everyone is working together, slowly at first, and then once they realize their power together (the resolution of Fanfare and the company front and the lifting of the cube), they blast off into an even higher energy finale with drill just as speedy as the opener, but with a much more highly ordered structure (the scalene triangle and the rotating cube). :thumbup:

(And then they close with the Crown, the strongest shape known to mankind. :w00t:)

• Like 3

My problem with Crown is that they are a retread of Cadets as far as style of drill/spacing. We have been seeing this since Garfield in 1983. Crown just bores me. I do love their brass sound though.

• Like 2

Really they dont move as much as people make out to be after the opener.

I wish the

had included BD and Crown. I'd be very interested to see that footage. It's like watching a Pyware animation, isolating the drill from the rest of the production.
  • Like 1

Personally I really enjoy both Crown's show and BD's show this year. Is that possible?

Yep, me too. Regardless of who wins, I will listen to these shows for years to come. Also dig Cadets and Madison, and LOVE Santa Clara and Surf. Phantom, for some reason, doesn't get me this year, although I have loved them many, many times in the past...

Different Strokes and all... which is a Good Thing.

have no idea how to differentiate between the subtleties[/b]. BD's brass vs. Crowns and everyone else? Nope, I can't tell the difference who's better.

No worries when talking personal tastes: we all like different stuff, and if the activity had 25 corps that all sound/look the same things would get pretty boring.

However saying you would score a corps low, and then following up that assessment with "I don't understand judging" is kind of odd, no?

• Like 1

I wish the

had included BD and Crown. I'd be very interested to see that footage. It's like watching a Pyware animation, isolating the drill from the rest of the production.

There should totally be catwalk cams available for every corps. On the Blu-ray if not on Fan Network.

EDIT: as mentioned it does strikingly reveal the dirt. I'm sure some corps staff might prefer it *not* be included on the Blu-ray. :devil:

Edited by skywhopper