Why is there no major DCI show in the west?

There are major shows, where nearly all the WC corps compete, in Minnesota, San Antonio, Atlanta, Allentown, and of course Indy. With the number of corps in the west, why isn't there an opportunity for fans in the west to go to a major show? I know it costs a lot to move corps from the east coast to the west, but the west coast corps move east every year. It seems like it would make it more fair for everyone (and would boost the number of fans in the west) if all the corps started the season with a big show in the west and then moved east, finally ending up in finals. If you can't afford to do a national tour, then drop down to Open Class. I certainly am disappointed that the nearest major DCI show is two time zones away from where I live.

• Like 8

As many corps as there are in the west, there are also a sizable amount in the midwest/east. So those corps would have to go all the way out west and then turn around and go back east. That's quite the expensive proposition. Both for the corps and the members. So unless you want to see either very few corps more than you would normally see or significantly smaller corps than usual (maybe both) then things should stay where they are. The current schedule is financially taxing enough as it is

As many corps as there are in the west, there are also a sizable amount in the midwest/east. So those corps would have to go all the way out west and then turn around and go back east. That's quite the expensive proposition. Both for the corps and the members. So unless you want to see either very few corps more than you would normally see or significantly smaller corps than usual (maybe both) then things should stay where they are. The current schedule is financially taxing enough as it is

How is that any different than western corps having to go east and then back west to get home?

• Like 5

Me too :(

I'm thrilled to see Phantom at the So Cal shows and it was great that BAC and Blue Knights came to the Pacific Northwest, but ohhhhh how awesome a full-fledged every corps in attendance show would be. dare to dream.

• Like 1

Denver used to be a pretty major "regional", even if it didn't feature the whole of world class. You'd get at least two or three corps to travel that far, even if they went no further. While that's probably not as far west as you or I might want them to go, it was a start.

Now it's just the corps out west using Denver as a stopover (and the occasional Phantom/Boston that did the California tour).

So I take, from the lack of response, that people just don't care about west coast fans. Typical east coast bias. :tongue:

• Like 2

How is that any different than western corps having to go east and then back west to get home?

I guess not terribly different, but at the same time they don't have to stop for rehearsal days and acquire housing on the way back home, which would be an issue for east coast corps. I mean, your suggestion isn't a bad idea, but it could potentially create financial strain for the corps that would be traveling out there. I think I worded my original post a little too harshly. Maybe in a few years if corps have become more financially stable as a whole it could stand a trial run,

I guess not terribly different, but at the same time they don't have to stop for rehearsal days and acquire housing on the way back home, which would be an issue for east coast corps. I mean, your suggestion isn't a bad idea, but it could potentially create financial strain for the corps that would be traveling out there. I think I worded my original post a little too harshly. Maybe in a few years if corps have become more financially stable as a whole it could stand a trial run,

West coast corps have to stop for rehearsal on the way to the east coast too. I don't mean to keep harping on this, but I don't see any difference between going west and then coming east and going east and then coming west. The distances and number of stops are the same.

• Like 4

Let's look at this from another perspective. First, I realize that all of the top corps going west is going to be a rarity (G8 in 2011 most recent example). With professional sports (yes they fly in and out) the problem is for teams going from west to east (time zone difference). An east coast team has an advantage going west more so than a west coast team going east (by 3 hours +/-. Now, if we could only afford to fly corps to show venues!

• Like 1

Let's look at this from another perspective. First, I realize that all of the top corps going west is going to be a rarity (G8 in 2011 most recent example). With professional sports (yes they fly in and out) the problem is for teams going from west to east (time zone difference). An east coast team has an advantage going west more so than a west coast team going east (by 3 hours +/-. Now, if we could only afford to fly corps to show venues!

Why should it be a rarity for the G8 to go west? Two of the G8 (SCV and BD) go east EVERY year. I'm not really sure what time zones have to do with anything.

• Like 1