Why is there no major DCI show in the west?

Yes, members fly (or drive) home after finals. They can sleep at the housing site on Saturday night, and then they are on their own. Most corps will run buses to airports.

East corps can definitely move-in out west... I'm pretty sure Boston did that this year. But usually corps "move-in" to the same location every year, which is a rehearsal facility that they have a good relationship with. If they move-in somewhere else, they have to find a new place that will house them for 4-5 weeks.

Driving back West after finals is cheaper b/c they don't have to house 150 kids and 50 staff/volunteers. They might not even have buses anymore.

The fans "in the west" are neglected because 1. most of the corps are in the East, and 2. most of the population of the U.S. is in the East.

Here is a map:

us-population-map.gif

California is the most populous state in the nation, and has more corps than any other state.

• Like 1

No, they don't use buses to get home, the members are on their own. The corps rent the buses under contract that run until the day after Finals, when they drop everyone off at the airport.

Boston traveled out west, and have everyone meet out there for pre-tour. But that is a huge cost for all of the members to fly out to start pre-tour, and it could be pricy to have them all do it every year.

They don't ignore half of the nation though. I've performed in almost every state of the nation, with the exception of upper New England and the Dakotas. It would be like asking why doesn't SCV or BD do the season opener in Akron? It's a cost measure, especially with how many shows the corps sponsor. I know as a fan, if I went to SCV's home show, and they weren't there because they were back east, I would feel kind of cheated. The corps on the west coast sponsor the west coast shows, the same way the east coast corps sponsor the east corps shows, and attend their own shows.

And the busses still have to get back to California (or Denver or Arizona or Washington). They don't just leave the busses in Indy. The bus company isn't going to eat that cost ... the corps have to pay for them to come back.

Edited by jasgre2000

I always love this debate once it comes up. I know being from CA that it is annoying to not have a major show but I will say that the stadiums always fill up to sometimes standing room only when we get the non regular corps out there. For example I always see tons of ppl sitting anywhere possible to see the show at RCC every year. Especially when Phantom is out West.

How many of you remember all the complaining about championships in Pasadena in '07? I remember everything from we're not used to it, to oh it's violent out west, and too costly. I know this yr I think Boston did their spring training in NorCal. I understand how the majority of DCI is situated in the Midwest and East Coast but I do find it kind of unfair to expect the West Coast to just deal with it every year. This is part of the reason I liked the varying championship locations; part of the reason I flew out to Denver in '04 since I thought it'd probably be the closest I would be able to make championships. Bottom line, there is no motivation for corps East of the Rockies to come West if the important shows are kept East.

I remember with PC in 2007 we still had to make the East coast shows so we did our regular CA tour then flew out to Chicago to do the East Coast tour, and following Allentown flew back to CA to tour the Southwest up until Pasadena. In other words, if the West coast corps can do something similar in 2007, so can the East coast corps.

Edited by HPUEuph
  • Like 1

I always love this debate once it comes up. I know being from CA that it is annoying to not have a major show but I will say that the stadiums always fill up to sometimes standing room only when we get the non regular corps out there. For example I always see tons of ppl sitting anywhere possible to see the show at RCC every year. Especially when Phantom is out West.

How many of you remember all the complaining about championships in Pasadena in '07? I remember everything from we're not used to it, to oh it's violent out west, and too costly. I know this yr I think Boston did their spring training in NorCal. I understand how the majority of DCI is situated in the Midwest and East Coast but I do find it kind of unfair to expect the West Coast to just deal with it every year. This is part of the reason I liked the varying championship locations; part of the reason I flew out to Denver in '04 since I thought it'd probably be the closest I would be able to make championships. Bottom line, there is no motivation for corps East of the Rockies to come West if the important shows are kept East.

I remember with PC in 2007 we still had to make the East coast shows so we did our regular CA tour then flew out to Chicago to do the East Coast tour, and following Allentown flew back to CA to tour the Southwest up until Pasadena. In other words, if the West coast corps can do something similar in 2007, so can the East coast corps.

The western shows I have been to have all been packed, so it can't be a function of there not being enough demand. I am confident a western regional would sell just as many tickets, if not more than the other regionals.

• Like 1

That's kind of the point. Why isn't there a western regional? And Cascades, Mandarin, and Academy are in every eastern regional and have to travel the same distance as SCV or BD. Its not like they are going home in between regionals.

They havent always been in every regional. Minneapolis has been skipped by more than one corps every year. IIRC all 3 of those corps have missed at least one of the years since that regional started. I think this year was academy's first year coming east before san antonio, iirc.

That's kind of the point. Why isn't there a western regional? And Cascades, Mandarin, and Academy are in every eastern regional and have to travel the same distance as SCV or BD. Its not like they are going home in between regionals.

I think there used to be a Western regional, but i guess it didn't make sense for all of the eastern corps coming out and ditching out on all of their shows back east.

Yes, those corps go to every regional, because DCI requires them to if they want to be full touring corps. And I think Academy used to go home after Denver, and skip the Minnesota regional in order to practice. But not traveling to Minnesota does save a lot of money for those corps, since they can fly straight to Texas to start tour. At least you don't live in the Northwest, where they only get 3 or 4 corps shows, and rarely one of the TOC-level corps.

The western shows I have been to have all been packed, so it can't be a function of there not being enough demand. I am confident a western regional would sell just as many tickets, if not more than the other regionals.

Enough additional tickets to justify the absolutely massive costs to bring all the eastern corps west? Not likely.

• Like 2

I think us out West would be happy to just have a few Eastern groups out here maybe not a show like San Antonio or Atlanta but a little variety. Phantom and Boston this year was great, if next year we had like Madison and Colts or whoever we'd be pleased I'm sure. Variety is the biggest thing for us as a whole I think more than a show with all 20+ corps.

I think us out West would be happy to just have a few Eastern groups out here maybe not a show like San Antonio or Atlanta but a little variety. Phantom and Boston this year was great, if next year we had like Madison and Colts or whoever we'd be pleased I'm sure. Variety is the biggest thing for us as a whole I think more than a show with all 20+ corps.

Yeah, it would be great to get more corps out west. Over the last 5 years, we've had almost all of the TOC corps, minus Cavies and Crown. And Cavies have traveled out west before. It would be cool, but the cost is pretty high, and it would require the corps completely changing up their pre-tour, and early season plans. Most of the big east coast corps do sponsor shows, and can't miss out on those ones. Those sponsorships create a huge amount of cash for them, that they really can't afford to lose

I think there used to be a Western regional, but i guess it didn't make sense for all of the eastern corps coming out and ditching out on all of their shows back east.

Yes, those corps go to every regional, because DCI requires them to if they want to be full touring corps. And I think Academy used to go home after Denver, and skip the Minnesota regional in order to practice. But not traveling to Minnesota does save a lot of money for those corps, since they can fly straight to Texas to start tour. At least you don't live in the Northwest, where they only get 3 or 4 corps shows, and rarely one of the TOC-level corps.

There is only 1 show within 8 hours of where I live. Luckily, BD, BK, and SCV and a couple of other good corps come. I don't expect that any full scale regional in the west would be any closer than any of the other current western shows are, but I might be able to justify traveling to a large regional in the west if it weren't two time zones away.

Edited by jasgre2000