Why is there no major DCI show in the west?

What aren't you understanding about this?

Minnesota isn't a required regional, so I don't think either Mandarins or PC were there, I'm unsure about Cascades. They might not have gone. Finals are in Indy, so having San Antonio, Atlanta, and Allentown be required regionals makes perfect sense. I think that these corps spend the entire season at home, doing rehearsals and a few shows, before flying out to Texas to start their tour. That stops them from spending the first three to four weeks of the season spending lots of money touring. It's about keeping themselves financially sound by starting competitions later in the season.

How is that different than what everyone else is doing? You are right that not everyone goes to Minnesota (though Academy and Cascades did this year). Cascades did quite a bit of west coast touring before Minnesota this year. No one really goes far from home before Minnesota, with the exception of when a east coast corps starts in the west, so I don't see what your point is.

and by a quick count, California has 11 DCI shows... wonder if any other states come close?

and if you look at the map I posted, you will see the big amount of the country that any corps has to cross to get from East of the Mississippi to the West.

It's nice that California has lots of people, but it is geographically isolated compared to where MOST of the people in the country live.

And none of them are anything like a DCI regional. It seems you are missing the point.

• Like 1

How is that different than what everyone else is doing? You are right that not everyone goes to Minnesota (though Academy and Cascades did this year). Cascades did quite a bit of west coast touring before Minnesota this year. No one really goes far from home before Minnesota, with the exception of when a east coast corps starts in the west, so I don't see what your point is.

Cascades stayed up in the Pacific Northwest, so they were never more than a few hours from home, which means that they went home in between tour stretches.

I think most of the corps do actually travel very far before getting to Minnesota, with the exception of Cavies, which stayed pretty close to the Midwest. The other corps had already traveled thousands of miles before hitting their first regional

and by a quick count, California has 11 DCI shows... wonder if any other states come close?

and if you look at the map I posted, you will see the big amount of the country that any corps has to cross to get from East of the Mississippi to the West.

It's nice that California has lots of people, but it is geographically isolated compared to where MOST of the people in the country live.

Is the distance from California to Atlanta longer when you go from east to west than when you go from west to east? It would be interesting to find out how that works, if it is true.

Well, I know for PC, Minnesota doesn't fit with their tour structure especially since it coincides with one of PC's sponsored shows. Also PC structures their tour around several things but one being to allow members to continue with school and work which wouldn't be possible during a Full tour.

Especially with how late the schools in SoCal run, usually to about the week before the first shows.

I think that's the reason Surf hadn't gone to San Antonio before this year, because they had a show they hosted the same day, and the funding they received from that was more important than going to the regional

Is the distance from California to Atlanta longer when you go from east to west than when you go from west to east? It would be interesting to find out how that works, if it is true.

It would be if you have to travel from Atlanta to California, and then back to Atlanta, using your example. When a corps like SCV or BD travels East, they only do it once. If a corps like Cadets or Crown came out west, they would travel all of the way across the country, only to travel all of the way back across it to continue the tour. So they would double their travel cost

And none of them are anything like a DCI regional. It seems you are missing the point.

And California has NEVER had a regional in it. Minnesota just got their regional in 2010. Indy used to have one up through 2007, when they got rid of it. I think the only regional that has always existed is Allentown.

Would you like DCI to have a show with every corps in it just for you? Would that make you happy? Or would you rather more corps go bankrupt trying to travel all of the way across the country just to appease you?

• Like 2

Cascades stayed up in the Pacific Northwest, so they were never more than a few hours from home, which means that they went home in between tour stretches.

I think most of the corps do actually travel very far before getting to Minnesota, with the exception of Cavies, which stayed pretty close to the Midwest. The other corps had already traveled thousands of miles before hitting their first regional

You may be right about that. I think the least that could be done is for there to be a TOC or other big show in the west where all the big historically top scoring corps compete. I can understand why a smaller struggling corps might be at a disadvantage if they were required to travel west early in the season. But, like you said, with the exception of the Cavies, most of the top corps travel a lot before Minnesota. It wouldn't be that much of an additional burden to have them all start with a big show in the west, especially since BD and SCV have to go east every year.

I do understand that it might interfere with some sponsored shows, but those could be rearranged. BD and SCV miss out on local sponsored shows for several weeks by being in the east for most of the season.

The revenue of each corps is public record. You can look up for yourself, genius. The Cadets take in more revenue than any other corps, by quite a bit. BD comes close, but The Cadets take in more.

No, the annual revenue of each *corps* is not public record. The annual revenue of each *governing organization* is public record, where the organization is a non-profit.

The annual 990 is not a reliable picture of an organization's financial health for several reasons. First, it does not include money spent on behalf of the corps by other (for profit) business entities or trusts, alumni groups, etc. Further, it does not include income generated by many unrelated business activities that are owned by the organization. The 990 is just a piece of the puzzle when auditing an organization's finances.

Practically, YEA's revenue is largely driven by the hundreds of band shows that they host around the country. I suspect that The Cadets *lose* money or break even each year, and that the USSBA revenue fills in the gaps. BD's revenue is likely driven largely by unrelated business activities, such as those of BD Entertainment and System Blue clinics, so you won't see it on a 990. Also, YEA's 2011 990 will show an abnormal "bump" from the $250,000 Chase grant from last June. SCV also has additional revenue streams that are unrelated to the drum corps itself.

I'd be happy to further discuss entity taxation with you at great length, should you so desire.

Genius? Nah. Individual with basic knowledge of taxation? Sure.

• Like 3

I do understand that it might interfere with some sponsored shows, but those could be rearranged. BD and SCV miss out on local sponsored shows for several weeks by being in the east for most of the season.

Not really. They have their feeder corps stick around until the end of July, and they perform in those sponsored shows.