Judging: How do YOU want to see it?

I'm a DCI newbie...so, yes. Most of what I know is what I've learned from people on this forum. Now, I'm willing to concede that I am misinformed, okay? So tell me, what is the correct term for what I have been talking about...if it's not score management.

Score Management is nothing more than wiggle room to prevent ties and leave room for a corps to perform beyond expectation or fold under pressure. What you have been discussing is not Score Management, but sort of Predetermined Slotting where the judge knows before hand where he/she will absolutely rank the corps. Score Management "does" occur on a conscience level in DCI and all other purely subjective outcome contests; it has to because outcomes are based on the subjective opinion of a fallible human being. Predetermined Slotting, at least on a conscience level, does not (or when it does occur on a conscience level it is quickly exposed and creates huge controversy like the Olympic Figure Skating a few years back).

Edited by Stu

sigh...

For the purposes of what I'm talking about...that is, judges giving a lower or higher score than possibly earned to "make room" for other performances to come on another day...the Bluecoats have no relevance. The only corps that would be affected by "making room" would be the three above and the five below SoA...not Bluecoats, not SCV and certainly not BD. So bringing any of those into the discussion is pointless.

But hey, I can see that you REALLY want to talk about Bluecoats so I'll just let this end there.

Have a good day.

See bold (than possibly earned). Your argument is actually one of Rating vs. Ranking; and if it were just a case of ratings and not rankings I would be supporting your argument. A judge, irrespective of ratings or rankings, has to place corps within a box which is a range of scores; and as long as the corps is within that range the correct score has been given. And if the competing corps received ratings only (as in box five yielded a I rating) any number of ties within that box 5 would not matter. However that is not the case with rankings; especially when both the drum corps audience and DCI abhor ties. Therefore, a built in wiggle room (score management) has to be utilized when ranking to prevent those ties; and again, in rankings, as long as the score is within the range in the proper box the correct score is thus also received.

Watching American Idol and America's Got Talent last night, as opposed to the Olympics, says volumes about your point of view on just about everything; just sayin.

Are you takin' a shot at me Stu? Is that all you got? Were American Idol and America's Got Talent on your TV, on your planet last night Stu?

You're probably one of those guys who think the Modern Olympics® are an international sporting COMPETITION staged every 4 years and not about TV ratings, SELLING COMMERCIALS, SPONSORSHIPS and tourism.

You see I happen to feel that if the dci concerned themselves more with expanding their audience and making more money and less with their judging sheets, the future of drum corps would be far better off.

And I'd love to debate it with you; but at your suggestion, I've got to dash to the television to watch the once in 4-years finals of the underwater basket weaving between Kuala and Lumpur or some such nonsense. I'm sure it will be riveting just like the BD's DADA!

: just sayin. back atcha

Been watching the scores all season, did not give much attention until there were full slates.

Biggest impact in my opinion will be each adjudicators personal background and bias. Some of them value the additional layers of form and interval and ensemble timing and exposure than others. So i am sure there are some units that are concerned at the slates for champ weekend. Hopefully we wont see perfect 10's three nights in a row like we saw a couple of years ago from the color guard judges, copouts!

Are you takin' a shot at me Stu? Is that all you got? Were American Idol and America's Got Talent on your TV, on your planet last night Stu?

You're probably one of those guys who think the Modern Olympics® are an international sporting COMPETITION staged every 4 years and not about TV ratings, SELLING COMMERCIALS, SPONSORSHIPS and tourism.

You see I happen to feel that if the dci concerned themselves more with expanding their audience and making more money and less with their judging sheets, the future of drum corps would be far better off.

And I'd love to debate it with you; but at your suggestion, I've got to dash to the television to watch the once in 4-years finals of the underwater basket weaving between Kuala and Lumpur or some such nonsense. I'm sure it will be riveting just like the BD's DADA!

: just sayin. back atcha

I have long left you behind as just a mere antagonizing sort who seems to garner enjoyment out of nothing more than poking bears with a stick; while it may excite you, that trait will eventually come back to bite you in the ***; just sayin.

• Like 1