Get Surf in Theaters!

I don't think finding some criteria for including a corps or three in the broadcast who aren't high scorers (eg, by fan voting) is inherently unfair, any more than the DCI Countdown theater events were unfair. Sure, this year it could be seen as unfair, but DCI can make new rules in the future if they wanted to encourage the low-scorers and open class corps to try to find a alternative ways to get attention. Just a thought.

so are you saying to exclude the top 12? Because I think Scouts could be one of those corps with a fan Fav. spot and they will be in the top 12 for sure

I'm not sure which is funnier, the fun Jersey Surf winning with the Allentown audience, or Jersey Surf finishing 17th overall in " Musical General Effect ". I guess, I'll have to go with the latter being funnier than a barrel of monkeys. I mean we have to honestly admit to ourselves here now that there is a complete breakdown now between the thousands of audience goers around the country and the handful of DCI judges that judge DCI " Music General Effect ". There is simply no denying this anymore. We have all sorts of possible explanations for this, some specious, some perhaps valid, but the total disconnect is now unmistakable. The 1st step in any recovery to a problem is to admit the problem. And DCI Judging has a big, big problem right now with what to do with Jersey Surf in their " Music General Effect " caption on these new judging sheets. From the judging input, Jerset Surf would be well advised to completely scrap this type of show because clearly it does not register well at all with the DCI " Music General Effect " judges. Jersey Surf is pretty much at the bottom of " Music General Efect " in DCI this year. Somethings got to give. Either Jersey Surf needs to change their ways show wise, or DCI needs to put their DCI Judges thru some " Music Analysis" and take their newly created " Music General Effect " sheets, three sheets to the wind after this season. The chasm between DCI Judges and thousands of fans at DCI shows around the country can not be more larger regarding " Music General Effect " as it relates to Jersey Surf. One thing is clear: SOMEBODY is out of touch here. Either its the tens of thousands of DCI show goers in audiences from around the country or its the 6 or so judges in DCI that currently judge the " Music General Effect " caption.

I think there is a fine line between "entertaining" and "effective" hence making judging a bit more complex than a simple applause-o-meter. I think Jersey Surf's show is a lot of fun, but keep the show in perspective. I think if a group like Cadets or Blue Devils performed this show DCPers would be calling it bando or easy. A show like this is a blast and I love watching it, but I am not seeing effect as a strong point of this show.

• Like 2

It appears that Jersey Surf's full show won't be included in Thursday nights theatre broadcast. Though I find this awful, I do understand. I would much rather watch Jersey Surf than some of the groups ahead of them. At least Surf should feel they have won the hearts of lots of people this year. I need to donate more money to them!

• Like 2

so are you saying to exclude the top 12? Because I think Scouts could be one of those corps with a fan Fav. spot and they will be in the top 12 for sure

No, I mean some choice from among the corps that wouldn't otherwise be broadcast. You couldn't decide till these few days after Allentown and before Prelims. Madison wouldn't be on the list this year (or most years).

I saw they show surf during intermission at the theaters

• Like 1

I don't know about you, but when I pay $18 to see something at a MOVIE THEATER this is essentially NOT LIVE (at least live in front of this particular audience), I EXPECT TO BE ENTERTAINED!

If it is only all about placement, why bother putting in the theaters nationwide? If people wanted to watch the real thing (and let's face it--- some of the top rated shows ARE boring, or God Forbid totally "I don't get it", then it behooves both DCI and the theaters to put some entertainment on the schedule that makes people stand and cheer (and it IS a lot of kids for whom $18 represents an entire week of babysitting or grass cutting).

I'd rather add a performance that is genuinely FUN and risk some snarky comments from other corps than deny the Surf their applause that nearly EVERYONE who commented admits is their due this year.

Being in the theater production is an honor that is earned by placing in the top-15 going into the event. All the corps know this and agree to it. To put one corps in because they are entertaining does not gel with the spirit of the criteria. And then someone would have to tell a corps under the top-15 that didn't get picked, "We're sorry, but we don't think your corps is as entertaining, even though you're getting a higher score." I suspect a number of the Jersey Surf kids would know in their hearts that it was unfair to other corps.

This viewpoint is being expressed by someone who was following the Surf drum major and clapping together the two yellow banana tubes on command while off to the side of the field doing interviews in Allentown.

• Like 1

I think MORE people will go to the theater if they know Surf will perform. First and foremost you will have Surf friends and family who will want to see their Corps. Also, Surf has gotten people excited including people outside of the Drum Corps bubble. It would also attract people for future years.

are you saying that if Surf is shown in the theater, more people will come watch? I doubt that is true... the people who want to watch will already be there. Joe Bozo from the street is not going to go "omg, Jersey Surf! I need to buy a ticket!"

that said, Surf is awesome this year.

DDFiddle - I agree with your post.

I have taken people to shows in the past and they won't go anymore due to the type of shows that were performed. These people were not in the music business. They will not only attend another drum corps show, but talk against it to others just because they felt the many of the shows were not entertaining. To put it another way - they thought it was a waste of money.

It is evident that Surf is performing to the people in the stands and not to the judges. It is sad that they are being penalized for this direction. I still feel DCI can work something out to include them. Why not feature Surf prior to Academy's performance? I believe DCI wanted more accessible shows. This is an opportunity to back up this belief.

I don't know about you, but when I pay $18 to see something at a MOVIE THEATER this is essentially NOT LIVE (at least live in front of this particular audience), I EXPECT TO BE ENTERTAINED!

If it is only all about placement, why bother putting in the theaters nationwide? If people wanted to watch the real thing (and let's face it--- some of the top rated shows ARE boring, or God Forbid totally "I don't get it", then it behooves both DCI and the theaters to put some entertainment on the schedule that makes people stand and cheer (and it IS a lot of kids for whom $18 represents an entire week of babysitting or grass cutting).

I'd rather add a performance that is genuinely FUN and risk some snarky comments from other corps than deny the Surf their applause that nearly EVERYONE who commented admits is their due this year.

Who gets to tell the other 15 corps that they aren't entertaining?

• Like 2