Get Surf in Theaters!

the intermission thing could work, but how do you really justify it? I mean, beyond "jersey surf is entertaining"... if I said "Blue Devils B is entertaining, you should show them at intermission" what would be the response? I don't know if putting a corps on at intermission in the theaters, where you can't clearly explain why they were chosen, so there is some standard for future years, is the right move to make.

So next year comes along... what then? Jersey Surf at intermission again? someone else? based on what criteria?

I agree....as much as I absolutely love what Surf is doing...it is not fair to the other corps. But...here is possible idea,

Announcement made in the stadium just as intermission starts. Have the MC (Brandt) list off the names or the corps that have performed already...and the corps with the biggest applause from the 'fans in the stands' decides who will be shown during intermission. Not a perfect system....but...I would bet the house and farm J Surf would win by a landslide.... :thumbup:

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 1

I do like showing Surf during intermission or perhaps in the beginning prior to the actual air time. There always seems to be time before the first corps performs. I sure would like this to happen without hurting corps in front of them. However, isn't it DCI who is trying to encourage more fan-friendly shows? This is the perfect time for them to make a stand on this issue.

I suppose many of you haven't gone to Big, Loud, & Live before. After showing corps #15 live, they generally begin giving 1-2 min. highlights of corps 23-16 (3 or 4 at a time) between live competing corps. Surf will get their 1-2 min. of fame along with everyone else (including some Open and Class A highlights)

How about they have a "people's choice" award every year at Allentown (voted on by audience members), and the winner gets their show featured during the theater broadcast during prelims, regardless of whether they are Top 15 or not. That would be a good way to allow a show like Surf's into the broadcast without making an unfair exception.

Edited by jasgre2000

Oh yeah, I don't think it would work. Just thinking out loud. That's the most reasonable approach I can think of to answer the OP's question of how to get Surf into the broadcast, but I'm sure it wouldn't be noticed or acted upon.

Do the corps that are shows in the broadcast get any kind of share of the revenue from the theater broadcast? If so, then I think there would be concern for putting Surf in the broadcast without having earned the spot.

How about they have a "people's choice" award every year at Allentown (voted on by audience members), and the winner gets their show featured during the theater broadcast during prelims, regardless of whether they are Top 15 or not. That would be a good way to allow a show like Surf's into the broadcast without making an unfair exception.

One problem is that the audiences aren't exactly the same from night to night. For something like that to work, (if it worked at all), it would have to happen in a show that includes all the World Class corps.

Being in the theater production is an honor that is earned by placing in the top-15 going into the event. All the corps know this and agree to it. To put one corps in because they are entertaining does not gel with the spirit of the criteria. And then someone would have to tell a corps under the top-15 that didn't get picked, "We're sorry, but we don't think your corps is as entertaining, even though you're getting a higher score." I suspect a number of the Jersey Surf kids would know in their hearts that it was unfair to other corps.

This viewpoint is being expressed by someone who was following the Surf drum major and clapping together the two yellow banana tubes on command while off to the side of the field doing interviews in Allentown.

• Like 2

Being in the theater production is an honor that is earned by placing in the top-15 going into the event. All the corps know this and agree to it. To put one corps in because they are entertaining does not gel with the spirit of the criteria. And then someone would have to tell a corps under the top-15 that didn't get picked, "We're sorry, but we don't think your corps is as entertaining, even though you're getting a higher score." I suspect a number of the Jersey Surf kids would know in their hearts that it was unfair to other corps.

This viewpoint is being expressed by someone who was following the Surf drum major and clapping together the two yellow banana tubes on command while off to the side of the field doing interviews in Allentown.

well said

One problem is that the audiences aren't exactly the same from night to night. For something like that to work, (if it worked at all), it would have to happen in a show that includes all the World Class corps.

True. Maybe do it at Atlanta ... or even Minnesota (where there is less of a home team bias than at other locations). Or better yet, have it be a running feature of all the regional shows throughout the season. Combine the audience vote from Minnesota, San Antonio, and Atlanta to determine a "People's Choice" award.

Edited by jasgre2000

I don't think finding some criteria for including a corps or three in the broadcast who aren't high scorers (eg, by fan voting) is inherently unfair, any more than the DCI Countdown theater events were unfair. Sure, this year it could be seen as unfair, but DCI can make new rules in the future if they wanted to encourage the low-scorers and open class corps to try to find a alternative ways to get attention. Just a thought.

Edited by skywhopper