Get Surf in Theaters!

They could show it delayed during the intermission.

That's what I was thinking. It would be a great spot for it.

That's what I was thinking. It would be a great spot for it.

the intermission thing could work, but how do you really justify it? I mean, beyond "jersey surf is entertaining"... if I said "Blue Devils B is entertaining, you should show them at intermission" what would be the response? I don't know if putting a corps on at intermission in the theaters, where you can't clearly explain why they were chosen, so there is some standard for future years, is the right move to make.

So next year comes along... what then? Jersey Surf at intermission again? someone else? based on what criteria?

• Like 2

So next year comes along... what then? Jersey Surf at intermission again? someone else? based on what criteria?

I don't know how you'd specify it with an exact rule, but it's clear Surf's show is something special this year. I think DCI should be able to make these kinds of decisions, even if some corps think its unfair (wouldn't be the first time). If DCI could get the staff of the other WC corps below #15 to sign off, I think DCI would be in the clear. But would those corps do so, if it meant less exposure for their corps in terms of less time on highlights reels?

Maybe if folks here are serious about trying to get Surf into the broadcast, they should be contacting the other corps who would be affected via Twitter, Facebook, email, etc, to suggest that *they* ask DCI to put Surf into the show. I bet some of them would be cool with it, and others not, but it sure would be nice to see Surf on the big screen.

Another possibility is to, during the week leading up to the QF broadcast, have DCI fans vote on what other corps they'd like to see in the broadcast. Maybe guarantee a spot in the broadcast to the top 14 and have two slots available for corps to be voted in. Too late for that this year I suppose, but in the future, that's not a bad way to do it, I don't think. I'd vote for Oregon and Surf in that case.

Edited by skywhopper

I don't know how you'd specify it with an exact rule, but it's clear Surf's show is something special this year. I think DCI should be able to make these kinds of decisions, even if some corps think its unfair (wouldn't be the first time). If DCI could get the staff of the other WC corps below #15 to sign off, I think DCI would be in the clear. But would those corps do so, if it meant less exposure for their corps in terms of less time on highlights reels?

Maybe if folks here are serious about trying to get Surf into the broadcast, they should be contacting the other corps who would be affected via Twitter, Facebook, email, etc, to suggest that *they* ask DCI to put Surf into the show. I bet some of them would be cool with it, and others not, but it sure would be nice to see Surf on the big screen.

I think corps are concerned about themselves this week...if youve never taught a top 12 corps or even 15 its a very focused week for all.

I don't know what Surf's show is like this year because I haven't seen them yet, but folks on DCP seem to be throwing a lot of love in their direction so I'll just have to take their word for it. :smile:

I think corps are concerned about themselves this week...if youve never taught a top 12 corps or even 15 its a very focused week for all.

Oh yeah, I don't think it would work. Just thinking out loud. That's the most reasonable approach I can think of to answer the OP's question of how to get Surf into the broadcast, but I'm sure it wouldn't be noticed or acted upon.

• Like 1

I don't know what Surf's show is like this year because I haven't seen them yet, but folks on DCP seem to be throwing a lot of love in their direction so I'll just have to take their word for it. :smile:

Even if you don't have Fan Network, they'll be on the FREE pre-broadcast live stream of Prelims late afternoon on Thursday! It's FREE. Their energy is totally infectious and the crowds love it. I so wish I could have seen them live this year.

Did I mention the prelims stream is FREE?

• Like 1

They had all year to get on the big screen, it is what it is.

It's a fun show, they found a niche for this season, maybe a good recruiting tool too.

What do they do next year? Continue playing Bridgemen Music? 27th? Northstar? or Golden Oldies from corps gone by?

It's still a competition, not a popularity contest. Fans complained over the past 6-7 years that they wanted less talking and more fan friendly shows, over the past 4 or so years, corps listened and gave us better shows. Phantom, Madison, SVC, Crown, Bloo and yes Even the Cadets have given us incredible shows the past few years. That's what you wanted and that's what you have now.

Edited by CT-Horn
  • Like 3