Tough decisions to make

In response to numbers 1), 2) and 3). I have no idea, Both are things I am extremely passionate about, which is why I am torn.

Understood, that's why I called them impossible questions. Kind of went thru that my last year because things got to be too much. Ended up marching but could have gone either way. Even 30+ plus years later not sure if marching that year was for the best or not.

Unfortunately, being on Cape Cod, the closest all age corps at the moment are Defenders Alumni. Not discounting the alumni corps experience, but I would want to do competitive all age corps, and the closest to me in driving time is Hurricanes or White Sabers

Been in that area a few times, not like you have a lot of options east (*ker-splash*) or north. And having done both All-Age and Alumni-type if you're looking for competitive experince doing parade and stadstills is not a real replacement.

Have you talked to the people in charge at the Y about what would happen to the music program and your position if you took that time off? Talking it out might get you more information and how they feel about it. At least if they know about your plans or feelings this far ahead of time they might be willing to work things out.

Hindsight being 20/20, I wish I had not marched my age out year and would have been content had I stopped after '84. That was a magical year; in my mind '85 was a let down (not because of the outcome, but the experience) and it set me back from a college standpoint. I also had a good job I left to march my age out year. But, times were different then, and the difference between marching at age 21 vs. 22 is huge.

EDIT: I might feel differently had I aged out in '87 which was a banner year for SCV; however, I didn't, so I don't.

Alright, I know this topic has been made by other people, but here we go anyways.

Next Summer is my age out and I need to decide whether to march or not.I know where I want to march and if I do march,and what instrument I want to audition on.

Now I have, what is to me, 2 serious dilemma to deal with with this one, and I need your opinions on this. I am the music program coordinator at my local YMCA summer camp. This is my 3rd summer doing it, and I have built this program up from essentially nothing. Save for 2 badly worn pianos and some small hand percussion instruments, I provide everything that the music program uses. If I march, I can not do this, and I do not want to see the program that I have built fail, which I fear that it will. Also, more importantly, I have a desire to work for the YMCA as a summer camp director, so me working here and moving up to either a unit director or the assistant camp director, which I would be doing next summer or the summer after would be very beneficial to me in trying to get my dream job. That being said,since I became interested in drum corps I have always wanted to march, but I am aware of the cost effectiveness of doing DCI, which is why I am only considering my age out.

I guess what I am asking is: What should I do?

From everything I've read about decision making, I'll assume that deep down you've already come up with what you "want" to happen.

I will tell you this from my own experience. There are no mistakes in life. You may think your life takes you in a direction that makes no sense but as soon as you begin to think something like that you'll suddenly find alignment. It always seems to eventually make sense in the end.

Edited by LincolnV

• 3 months later...

For everyone who posted in this topic, or anyone who cares: I have decided to audition for a World Class Corps and march my age out! Look for me on the field this summer!

• Like 3

For everyone who posted in this topic, or anyone who cares: I have decided to audition for a World Class Corps and march my age out! Look for me on the field this summer!

Good luck making the corps of your dreams. Meanwhile, I hope you find someone to take over the YMCA program for you. This is essential anyways. Even if you stayed; what would happen to the program if you were hit on the head by a meteorite and no one else was up to speed with what to do to keep the program running? Even if you end up not marching, this is something I believe is worth doing. Let us know what happens on both fronts.

Good luck making the corps of your dreams. Meanwhile, I hope you find someone to take over the YMCA program for you. This is essential anyways. Even if you stayed; what would happen to the program if you were hit on the head by a meteorite and no one else was up to speed with what to do to keep the program running? Even if you end up not marching, this is something I believe is worth doing. Let us know what happens on both fronts.

Well, I have been getting someone set up to take my place while I am gone. Good news is, talking to my boss, I get to work the day after I would get back from Finals! Can't wait to audition for the corps I want to march

While my normal advice would be to at least try out for a corps and see what happens, I am torn because I live near the Cape and I know that the Cape needs good quality youth programs, especially for year round residents. It sounds as if you are performing an important service and if you're thinking about your summer job this early and are considering sacrificing participation drum corps for it, you must be dedicated.. However one of the lessons you will need to learn if you want to go into human services, you have to realize the importance of self-care. You can't take care of others if you don't take care of yourself. Marching with DCI would give you all kinds of ways to rev up any music program, and you will be able to use your experiences to help young people pursue their dreams, something that would include not only those in the music programs.

One question I have: Are you considering World Class or Open? If you are looking at World, you could never manage both. If you look at Open, in New England there are two excellent corps 7th Reginment and Spartans. They have a rigorous schedule and a tour, but there is more off time that might allow you to at least work part time at the camp for some of the summer and advise who ever directs the program in your absence.

Good luck with your decision. And a consolation: if you don't choose drum corps, you'll be spending your summer not only doing good, but doing it at one of the places to spend a summer and Quincy. Lawrence, Lynn, Bristol, R.I, Manchester, NH, and New Haven, CT will all have great shows, and make sure you take a personal day on August 2nd for a mini road trip to Allentown.

While my normal advice would be to at least try out for a corps and see what happens, I am torn because I live near the Cape and I know that the Cape needs good quality youth programs, especially for year round residents. It sounds as if you are performing an important service and if you're thinking about your summer job this early and are considering sacrificing participation drum corps for it, you must be dedicated.. However one of the lessons you will need to learn if you want to go into human services, you have to realize the importance of self-care. You can't take care of others if you don't take care of yourself. Marching with DCI would give you all kinds of ways to rev up any music program, and you will be able to use your experiences to help young people pursue their dreams, something that would include not only those in the music programs.

One question I have: Are you considering World Class or Open? If you are looking at World, you could never manage both. If you look at Open, in New England there are two excellent corps 7th Reginment and Spartans. They have a rigorous schedule and a tour, but there is more off time that might allow you to at least work part time at the camp for some of the summer and advise who ever directs the program in your absence.

Good luck with your decision. And a consolation: if you don't choose drum corps, you'll be spending your summer not only doing good, but doing it at one of the places to spend a summer and Quincy. Lawrence, Lynn, Bristol, R.I, Manchester, NH, and New Haven, CT will all have great shows, and make sure you take a personal day on August 2nd for a mini road trip to Allentown.

Thank you for the advice Tim. The way I am looking at this, is since the YMCA is starting a music program year round (which I am running) this will be good experience for me. I am considering World Class, but I will march anywhere. The person who is attempting to take over the music program for me is one of my best friends, so I am getting him all set up. He will help maintain consistency for the children, which is something that I think is key for my program to succeed. At camp, I wish I could take a personal day to go to Allentown, but if I don't march, I can't hurt the kids like that. In my 5 summers at this camp, I have only taken 1 sick/personal day, and people get concerned when I am not there

• Like 1

March! You will regret it if you dont

March! You will regret it if you dont

I have decided to march! I thought about it, and realized this is my last chance, so I should do it.

• Like 2