Revolution '13

I am very interested in being apart of a DCI snare-line this up coming year. Considering I live in South Texas, and this will be my first year of drum corp, I'm somewhat limited to two options. Revolution, or Genesis. I was leaning more towards Revolution, but after finding out about last years' Finals' incident, I'm a bit skeptical. I was just wondering which one one of the two would suit me best. Thank you for your time!

P.S. I'm 16 years old, and I'm the center snare for Gregory-Portland High School. I will be a Junior in the '13-'14 season.

I am sure that you want a corps which will fit your musical requirements; however, the following is not about the competitiveness of either organization but about the stability of the organizations, which in my opinion is more important in making the choice:

Genesis was formed in 2010 with many of the staff members from coming over from Mystikal; but many other staff from other drum corps have joined them since their inception. Since their creation they have been a rather solid organization; while they have only three years behind them, they certainly have had no major issues or concerns either at home or out on the road. Their current administrative staff appears to be looking out for the best welfare of the youth.

Revolution was formed in 2000 as a brand new corps. They have had some good solid seasons, and have had some really great people over the years on staff; but they also have had a few years with some rather major issues cropping up including 2011; and they have had a few administrative turn-overs due to those issues. I have no knowledge concerning the current administrative staff and how things have changed from last season.

So, have your parents (yes your parents) investigate both organizations "thoroughly" on which corps you would want to spend your money and time with out on the road; because it is not only your choice but more-so your parents choice since you are a minor.

• Like 1

I am very interested in being apart of a DCI snare-line this up coming year. Considering I live in South Texas, and this will be my first year of drum corp, I'm somewhat limited to two options. Revolution, or Genesis. I was leaning more towards Revolution, but after finding out about last years' Finals' incident, I'm a bit skeptical. I was just wondering which one one of the two would suit me best. Thank you for your time!

P.S. I'm 16 years old, and I'm the center snare for Gregory-Portland High School. I will be a Junior in the '13-'14 season.

I know you're posting in Open Class, but Crossmen may be an option as well. Even if you just want to go to a camp and see what it's like

Contact both. Ask for packets. Ask questions of the drum staff. Get your parents involved. Have them ask questions of the administrative staff.

I know that's kind of a flippant answer, but it's really the truth. Engage the two corps and get to know them. Look for the one that fits you best. I think you'll find pretty quickly that one will appeal to you more than the other.

Mike

:soapbox:

Also realize that, even if you are the BEST snare at your high school, there will be many more BEST snares there from their high schools AND colleges trying out for these two corps. I seem to remember a few years ago when Revo had 40+ people trying our for the 8-9 spots in their snare line alone. Stay flexible and be willing to march any spot in the drumline. A year on bass or tenors in a good Open Class line will be great experience if you want to move on to World Class someday. Staying home all summer does you no good at all.

AND PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! :whip:

I have no idea what kind of 'incident' you're talking about but the best way to figure out what corps to go with is to talk to the members of both and see how they like where they are? Do they think they are learning? Are the instructors professional and motivating? Is the cost a factor? Talk to support staff too. If you can afford it, attend both their Open House camps as well. That could give you a very realistic experience of their team dynamics. Whichever corps you choose, good luck to you!

I have no idea what kind of 'incident' you're talking about...

It was a Teal type incident, non-dues collection for a lot of the kids but they got to tour anyway, financial issues galore, bus non-payment issues, problems getting home from finals, problems, problems, problems, etc... but this was year 2011 with all old administration and old staff, so factor that in. I am curious, however, if any of the great parents who exhibited a true sense of responsibility, and not only paid in full for their own kids they also ended up bailing out the corps so the rest of the kids could get home, received any compensation from the new administration.

Edited by Stu

Thanks a lot! It's very well put advice...Sadly, Revolution's page is down, so I cannot contact them at the moment..

Their new website is www.gorevo.org