Carolina Crown sighting in Canada?

Oh - Cheech and Chong. OK. For a minute there I thought you were going to go with the Partridge Family.....

Nah.. Cheech and Chong were way cooler than the Partridge Family ( haha! )

I had posted about this bus on here shortly after it arrived in town. I did some research and asking around, apparently the story I was told (the same as Rick only more detail).....The bus blew the engine at DCI finals in Buffalo, it was determined that the cost to repair was more than it was worth, it was picked up by a wrecker?or mechanic? and sold almost instantly for next to nothing to the owner of the welding shop here in town, his original idea was to convert it to a motorhome. I drive by this bus all the time, and makes me nostalgic about when Canada had a lot of drum corps....as a side note, the small trailer that Kiwanis Kavaliers had before they got their semi's was sold to a shop about 2 miles up the road from where the bus is. That was a really wierd few months, driving by and seeing a crown bus and kaviliers trailer. Perhaps Goderich is the home of dead corps vehicles to the North.

• Like 2

Wonder what year it is, it would look really nice in the bus collection at the Antique Automobile Club Of America Museum. Or better yet sitting by the road at the turn off to the museum. Long as it's 1987 or earlier.....

AACA Museum

Looks like the site isn't working or I'm locked out right now.....

s/ Guy who was a member before he discovered Drum Corps....

We took a picture of the registration - 1970.

7725665868_c1aebb059a_z.jpg

It's in the yard of a welding shop. The story I've heard (from Rick Petheric who commented when I posted these pics on Facebook) is that it has sat there for around 10 years. The owner bought it from the corps when it was dead on the side of the road for almost nothing.

Hope Rick found out the story nicely. Years back I went to a local scrap yard/recycler and saw my old corps equipment truck being used there. Still had the corps logo on it and only other paint was some graffiti. Said something to the manager about it and guy let loose a string of obscenities about how bad the truck was when he bought it (at auction?) and how much he had to plow into it. Followed by it wan't worth buying....

My second thought (first was getting the heck outta there) was the previous owner (corps0 was getting more publicity than he was since he never painted over anything.

Edit after seeing the registration pic... it's an antique according to AACA rules :thumbup:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Actually the guy who has it is really nice, he will gladly show anyone the bus in and out, but you had better make an offer or he gets a bit upset....Although no sign on it, I know it is for sale, however was told they had it started (it used to be directly in front of the shop) and they moved it to the side, have been told it does not start anymore

When the bus was brought to the shop, I had a thousand questions from some people in town....asking if it was a new group starting up, what was a drum corps? Why were they here in Town? Many in town know of my association with bands, drum corps etc... so as they drove by they would call me at work and ask about it.

Actually the guy who has it is really nice, he will gladly show anyone the bus in and out, but you had better make an offer or he gets a bit upset....Although no sign on it, I know it is for sale, however was told they had it started (it used to be directly in front of the shop) and they moved it to the side, have been told it does not start anymore

Good to know. We had a great day in Goderich and Bayfield so we're coming back and spending a few days after our daughter's wedding in a couple of weeks. Maybe we'll stop in there on a weekday and see if we can get a closer look.

Are you planning on getting a corps started up in Goderich? They're sprouting up all over the place in Ontario these days....