Neutrality

I've concluded over the past few years that neutrality is almost completely gone from DCI. It's even evident with DCI's own media and press that favorites are picked. I'm even looking at the card inside my 2011 DCI Championships DVD and bias is shown.

Agree or Disagree? You decide

"Oh, this is going to be good!" (said in Stewie's voice) :tongue:

I'm sorry, this wasn't meant as an insult against Mr. Boo. His writings are fantastic and I've been reading them since he wrote about my band at BOA Grand National Finals 11 years ago. I truly enjoy reading what Michael Boo has to say about drum corps.

But I would be lying if I said I didn't have a bias ingrained into me as a trained human being of the activity's establishment that I didn't have a particular perspective on things. Mr. Boo's writings are so oft cited because they are clear, concise, and eloquent without being overtly elegiac. I would hate for anyone to interpret my statement as something negative about his publishings; I think it is just short-sighted to assume that anyone is capable of producing thoughtless, robotic analysis which we are interested in reading. Mr. Boo is capable of far more than translating recaps into newspeak.

here, lemme splain something to ya here Sparky:

Boo does what he is paid to do.

I go to work every day to originate mortgages. Why? Cause that's what the boss tells me to do or I don't get a paycheck.

DCi tells Mike what they want in the dvd package, yearbook, etc. Mike then goes and does it. Why? Because he wants a paycheck.

So, let me turn the tables ( all Adele jokes aside) on you:

If you think you can do such a better job, where's your resume? I would imagine it would be sent to DCI HQ right? I mean surely, in the limited space DCi allows for that information, you can wax eloquently far better than Mike right?

( was I too sarcastic? I hope so)

• Like 1

I'm not resting this solely on Michael Boo's shoulders because I think his works are well written and well done. I still feel that he "picks" favorites. Here is one sentence from the notecard inside the 2011 finals DVD - "Boston Crusaders knocked the Blue Stars out of the eight place position that the corps had enjoyed for the last three years. Also above the Blue Stars finished the Blue Knights and Madison Scouts". It's not about what he said (he stated mere fact), it's how he said it. Again, by no means am I saying this is limited to people like Boo; I've sensed that there have been many people rooting for only a few select corps and others are getting left in the dust. I can name a few other than just the Blue Stars. I also think that in relation to the podcasts that Dan Potter puts out for DCI are also focused on a few select corps. I recall listening to a podcast last year that was about 20 minutes in length and 11 or so minutes of the podcast was dedicated the Blue Devils. Why not split up that time and dedicate it to talking about the top 12? Perhaps there could be some talk about the corps that are in the running for the top 12 as well. It could mean only speaking about a corps for a minute and a half, but I think this is sufficient for 1 podcast, as they came out on a weekly to bi-weekly basis. Even the video that was shown at DCI finals last year showed more scenes of BD, Crown, SCV and Cadets then all of the other corps combined. As much as you guys disagree, I DO believe DCI can do a better job promoting each corps equally.

Edited by TimbreDeBrass
  • Like 2

here we go, more Boo bashing.

here's a hint...

IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T READ IT

Mr. Ream, how is someone supposed to know that they don't like something until they don't read it or further examine it? That's like a professor failing a student without reading their essay, it just doesn't make sense.

Edited by TimbreDeBrass
  • Like 1

- Deleted -

Edited by TimbreDeBrass

I DO believe DCI can do a better job promoting each corps equally.

Well, that's not their mandate, and more importantly, why would they want to? You promote the corps that are big draws.

In all honesty, I think the marketing folks as DCI do a great job of making sure all World Class corps are represented. But to say that they should all be represented equally is a bit of a stretch. Your complaint comes off much like the folks that get mad because ESPN spends too much time talking Yankees vs Red Sox, instead of Columbus Bluejackets hockey. One is interesting and promotes discussion, the other...doesn't.

If you think your favorite corps should be talked about more, that's cool. I suggest you urge that corps to take a page out of Surf's playbook, or Teal 2009/2010. Do something that merits discussion.

• Like 1

I'm not resting this solely on Michael Boo's shoulders because I think his works are well written and well done. I still feel that he "picks" favorites. Here is one sentence from the notecard inside the 2011 finals DVD - "Boston Crusaders knocked the Blue Stars out of the eight place position that the corps had enjoyed for the last three years. Also above the Blue Stars finished the Blue Knights and Madison Scouts". It's not about what he said (he stated mere fact), it's how he said it. Again, by no means am I saying this is limited to people like Boo; I've sensed that there have been many people rooting for only a few select corps and others are getting left in the dust. I can name a few other than just the Blue Stars. I also think that in relation to the podcasts that Dan Potter puts out for DCI are also focused on a few select corps. I recall listening to a podcast last year that was about 20 minutes in length and 11 or so minutes of the podcast was dedicated the Blue Devils. Why not split up that time and dedicate it to talking about the top 12? Perhaps there could be some talk about the corps that are in the running for the top 12 as well. It could mean only speaking about a corps for a minute and a half, but I think this is sufficient for 1 podcast, as they came out on a weekly to bi-weekly basis. Even the video that was shown at DCI finals last year showed more scenes of BD, Crown, SCV and Cadets then all of the other corps combined. As much as you guys disagree, I DO believe DCI can do a better job promoting each corps equally.

wait. hold on here.

a journalist picks favorites. You mean...like the newspapers do? or tv does?

as for your example....what's so wrong with what he said? it's the ####### truth?

Now while agree DCI marketing may focus a little too much on the top corps...well....when you read the sports, do you hear about the KC Royals or the Yankees?

• Like 1

If you think you can do such a better job, where's your resume? I would imagine it would be sent to DCI HQ right? I mean surely, in the limited space DCi allows for that information, you can wax eloquently far better than Mike right?

The OP paid $ for the product so I think they have a right to comment on what they paid for. Also, arguing that a person should be able to do a better job before making any judgement is not a good argument. For example, I may see a movie that ends up having crappy special effects. I don't know anything about creating special effects, so I couldn't do a better job, but I still might have valid comments regarding them.

• Like 2

I DO believe DCI can do a better job promoting each corps equally.

Well, maybe. But maybe there are better battles to pick than this particular one. If you want to complain, try to be at least a little constructive. Like, instead of picking some nuance in how Boo framed the fact that Blue Stars fell three placements in 2011 over 2010 that no one notices and which affects no one's opinion and which does no harm to BK or Madison, why not complain about open class performance fees (or lack thereof), or souvie booth placement, or the G7, or why we can't buy Blu-rays with the semifinalists or prelim performances, or how Blue Devils have twice the budget of every corps except SCV, Cavies, and Cadets, or the touring model, or the recruiting system, or the failing corps, or something.

But picking apart the card inside the DVD? Good grief.

• Like 1