Cadets' Christmas Show

Why did the Cavaliers decide to do a show about fame?

Why did the Blue Devils decide to do a show about a 100 year old art movement?

Why did Carolina Crown think a show about superheros that aren't really superheros was a good idea?

You put a bunch of artist in a room together and shake it up a few times and see what falls out. It's the artistic process.

It's interesting, but George actually posted a story about this very thing after DCI South:

So last night I was sitting next to 3 Cavie alum from 70-85. They introduce themselves - nice southern men - and we get ready to watch the Cavies. One of the guys has a 6 yr old son sitting in front of him, next to his wife. During the cavie's performance , the little boy is clapping and cheering as his dad is talking in his ear ... and pointing things out. At the end, the dad picks him up so he can wave and cheer them off the field. The dad and mom are super thrilled that he loved the show...(this kid will be marching one day!) and now the cadets come on the field. The dad says "you might like this show -it's about Christmas!". The boys's eyes are huge and he can't stop pointing to the presents and asking what's in them. He's flapping his hands - and bouncing in his seat during the set up. His parents are telling him to be patient. " It's like waiting for Christmas. Do you remember how you have to be patient?" Then it starts. To say that this child sat with rapt attention is an understatement. He had his hands locked together, under his chin, staring at the field. The mom and dad kept looking at him and each other. They were mouthing "omg. He loves it. Look at him". When the show was over, they asked what he thought, and he said "I want them to do it again!!!".

Just thought this was a great story that speaks to your point.

Here's another.

Read this over in the review section, posted by PersonalBias at the Charlotte show

TOC Charlotte - complete post

I took a three year absence from 15 years of successive drum corps as I had to come to terms with amplification. I returned to my first show, Charlotte, this time with my 8yo daughter. This was her first exposure beyond you-tube and dvd's. As with any generation, first hand experience with a drum corps event such as a show with the magnitude of this line-up can not be over-stated . . .

Cadets. Christmas music, yep in July. This show was electric and the crowd approved en mass. My daughter was so ecstatic with the guard dance and use of props, simple props with exaggerated impact, This show was so well done and exciting. If you have not seen it yet, it is worth the price of admission. The colors. the snowflake, the drill, the music left her giddy with excitement. She ran down to the lower wall after the show wanting to touch the members. Is this not what it is all about? . . .

Money will get you a ticket, but, the corps provide the ride. Seeing drum corps like through her eyes was a piece of heaven for me. Maybe that is what I had forgotten...those fleeting moments that bring such joy. In the end, I had placements correct not scores, not that it mattered, but, yes I had to say. I am still beaming for her, and yes she went to school today excited to tell her friends. Dedication? Maybe, Inspired? Yes. A future corps member, who knows, but I would bet that she will be back Last night I too was inspired and was helped in reminding myself that though I have past the point of no-return the remaining trip can and will be filled by the many spectacles that life has to offer, children, family, yes to me and once again drum corps. Thank you Crown, Blue Devils, SCV, Boston, Phantom Cavies, Bloo and Cadets. Having seen the light, my heart and ears Thank You. Great show!!!

Youth Education in the Arts. Seems to be working! :thumbup:

My initial feeling in the preseason is the design must be careful not to go in the cheesy cute direction. Cadets are most successful when they are aggressive and pushing their limits. To my surprise, the shoes does have incredible demand musically, field coverage, speed, marching backwards alot etc. I feel they haven't been getting the content scores they should. I really like PR but think the demand of that show is much lower yet not reflected in scoring. I almost feel the "Christmas theme" is being evaluated as Cadets-lite when in fact it is a very challenging program being performed very well..

• Like 4

My initial feeling in the preseason is the design must be careful not to go in the cheesy cute direction. Cadets are most successful when they are aggressive and pushing their limits. To my surprise, the shoes does have incredible demand musically, field coverage, speed, marching backwards alot etc. I feel they haven't been getting the content scores they should. I really like PR but think the demand of that show is much lower yet not reflected in scoring. I almost feel the "Christmas theme" is being evaluated as Cadets-lite when in fact it is a very challenging program being performed very well..

Absolutely!

This show is being overlooked as one of their great shows. It is so subtle yet demanding and I agree; it has not gotten the evaluations it deserves.

It is a quality Cadets show.

Go Cadets!

• Like 1

Its like the way BD is being judged but in reverse! :w00t:

• Like 1

I think George got Religion.

2011 - Angels and Demons with all sorts of religeous overtones

2012 - 12.25 and all kinds of religeous aspects

2013 - maybe they'll do a show of tibetian monk music or something

• Like 1

I recall that a Christmas show was considered following the 1984 season as well a Pat Metheny show. Both were ditched. But in 1985 the Bridgemen did a Christmas show and Blue Devils played Pat Metheny, which is one of my favorite shows of all time. I believe the Bridgemen may have picked up on the idea after we decided not to do it and that we decided not to play Metheny because BD had already decided to.

Of course, I may be wrong on some or all of this. It was a long time ago and old-timers disease is creeping in. One thing I am sure of is '85 BD was bloody AWESOME!

I vote for

2013 - 10.31 "Give the Devil his due"

or maybe they could do a southern baptist revival type show. that could be cool