Corrupt Judging In DCI?

I've been around the activity for thirty years, and not once have I ever thought there was any corruption in judging. There's certainly a lot of subjectivity, but that's not the same thing. I don't think there's any point-shaving or other such nonsense to try and favor a corps.

When you have directors asking for certain judges due to their subjective nature - it is a form of corruption.

Obvious about what? What's not fair about a random draw?

There's nothing unfair about a random draw. Stupid, sure. But unfair, no. Of course, that would have required the random draw in 1988 to have actually been random. If you were there or saw in on video, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. There's even a photo of the incident online that called the legitimacy of the event into question.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

Okay, I am not a conspiracy person nor do I even believe that the judges themselves are in on the action, BUT I have been hearing that these games are fixed and or rigged in some way, shape or fashion. I marched 89-91 and heard the talk the entire time but there was also talk that these actions have been going on since mid 70s if not before. I am still hearing this same talk today.

SO… I pose these questions to an already crazy audience and would like to get some good straight forward commentary:

1. Is there favoritism from DCI to certain corps?

2. Is the Judging System fair?

3. Does the Judging System fairly include all aspects of the activity?

4. Is the system being changed to better suit corps and their personal agendas?

Like I said, I'm not a believer in this but I have heard "WOLF" for so long that I may believe there is one. Convince me one way or another that this is or is not a problem.

Oh, and for a side note, on multiple occasions I have taken people to shows that know absolutely nothing about the activity and or politics. They picked the order of finish exactly (Give or take a couple of weird obscure shows that freaked a couple out)

1. no

2. about as fair as you can get

3. yes

4. no

end of story pretty much. it's a new system and i think corps will adjust.

Every activity with human judging is based on opinion. Drum corps, many Olympic events, beauty contests, etc.....

The best drum corps doesn't always win just like the other events. Does DCI push certain groups in certain years, yes they do.

Do judges actually judge the performance that night or do they put a number down based on what they had thought they were going to see or what they saw before?? Yes I FIRMLY believe they have a number in mind well before the corps hits the field. No other way to explain the almost consistently increasing scores each night throughout a season. There is no drum corps or any other human that performs better each night and never has an off night but yet the corps getting the push seem to get better each and every night. Sorry but that is not possible.

1. no

2. about as fair as you can get

3. yes

4. no

end of story pretty much. it's a new system and i think corps will adjust.

I might agree with you on this but let's talk about your answer to #3. Does the Judging System fairly include all aspects of the activity?. - IF this is YES, like you say, Why are so many people talking about "Entertainment" ? - This is an aspect of the activity that is being missed.

#4 - Actually should be "yes" because your lead corps are promoting their agendas with things like the G8 and tour of champions. If it were up to "HOP" - the activity would have woodwinds, but he has helped ram through unneeded electronics and so on...

No, that's called "life".

That "LIFE" creates mistrust and misconceptions. Relate it to today's media and political system - it seams MORE broke than ever just due to bias within the media - while it is really just as broken as it ever was.

Some of the lead corps directors may have a little to much influence on the whole of the activity. That creates more issues.

The best drum corps doesn't always win just like the other events. Does DCI push certain groups in certain years, yes they do.

This sort of hits that grey area that was mentioned earlier but seeing the years you marched and where... I can truly understand your sentiment. The grey area was basically that "Number 2 got robbed"

Seriously. DCI evolves at lightning fast speeds too. If you look at shows from even a decade ago, they're completely different kinds of shows.

A decade is truly lightening fast... WOW!!! How far is that in light years?

Sorry for the sarcasm but I live in a world of daily deadlines where creative changes by the minute. DCI is a snail in comparison and much of the evolution that you discuss is not really needed - it is the cause of many of the everlasting problems. They need to get a grasp on the changes they make before stepping forward.

Design process 101:

Problem > Concept > Design > TEST > Then back to problem to correct your mistakes

DCI is really bad at those last two steps.

Edited by Kevin Powell
  • Like 1

sIMPLY JOT DOWN HOW YOU FEEL THE LAST 30 - 40 YEARS SHOULD HAVE WNET,,THEN, WHEN THE NEXT PERSON WRITES DOWN DIFFERENT ANSWERS AND CALLS YOU CRAZY, AND A THIRD WRITES DOWN A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SET OF ANSWERS, THERES NO WAY YOU COULD CALL CORRUPTION. jUDGES, LIKE US, ARE HUMAN, AND WANT TO TRY TO BE/DO THEIR BEST...THEY ALL HAVE LITTLE THINGS THAT DRIVE THEIR DECISIONS.

sorry for the caps, really, I am, I wasnt watching when typing, and I dont want to write it over.

Geoffrey