Corrupt Judging In DCI?

I've been around the activity for thirty years, and not once have I ever thought there was any corruption in judging. There's certainly a lot of subjectivity, but that's not the same thing. I don't think there's any point-shaving or other such nonsense to try and favor a corps.

The only time I've ever through anything in DCI might have been unseemly was the <cough> random draw <cough> for performance order in 1988. They couldn't have been more obvious about that if they'd tried. But the judges had nothing to do with it.

[/quote

Obvious about what? What's not fair about a random draw? They should play with performance order more. If the g7 are superiors then they should be able to handle stepping off first. When your on doesn't matter it's what you do. And the face that judges don't judge corps on early on as good as on later is silly. Corps should be judged on talent and design no matter when the performance time.

If by corrupt you mean human and sometimes fallible, I would agree.

I think it is worth noting, too, that far too often the cries of "X corps should be ahead of Y corps" are framed within the context of one or two captions. These are invariably the captions we are the most comfortable stating our opinions about:

"Corps 'A' has the best brass sound! They should clearly be winning!" *forgets 7 other captions exist*

This is exactly why DCP has been confusing me for the past 4 years. Yes, I get most of the people here are brass players (think of ratios in the corps now), so obviously brass scores are going to hold more weight in peoples' minds. So when people are all like "OMG CORPS X SOUNDS AMAZING!" It's usually "Hey, their brassline sounds the best."

Corrupt??? Nope. Incredibly subjective? Yes

It is easy for us sitting in front of our computers, in a theater or even live but just the thought of judging 28 corps in one evening is a tall order for anyone and personally makes me ill to think about. I have to give the judging community some well earned credit where credit is due. I may not like the outcome but I have to admire how they get there.

I don't think there's any systemic corruption in judging.

That said, in 40 years, I'm sure there's been some corruption at times. I'd bet my next paycheck on it and not lose any sleep. You can't tell me that there's never been an incident of multiple judges getting together and deciding the fates of various drum corps.

I also think that he who has the gold makes the rules. The system perpetuates itself. It is no coincidence that the corps represented by the directors who have pushed through the majority of the rules changes of the last 30 years are the same that keep winning. Is that corruption in judging? No. But is it a level playing field? No.

I'm going to hit this from a different angle .. since I haven't seen anyone else do it yet.

I think the original questions are flawed

Such as, Does the judging system show preference toward certain corps? NO

Correct question, "Does the judging system show preference to what the judges want to see and hear?" YES

Does this effect what the corps write and perform? YES (if they want to be competitively successful. This falls in line with the "Mao" statement.

The chief judge has the job of guiding the judges in the direction of interpretation as they see fit. This person is hired by DCI (the corps)... there is strength at the top, so one could suffice to say that there is preferential outcomes.

Where I think the system is flawed is directly listed above.

Better question, "Should there be an outside 3rd party that decides the rules?"

Even Better question, "Should there be a new chief judge that values entertainment over asthetics (and all the other garbage listed on the GE sheet?"

In the end .. the loudest voices have the most control over what is going to be rewarded by the judging system .. because they write the rules. So is it a corrupt system .. to me .. YES.

Are the judges corrupt? NO, they are doing their job the way they are told to do it.

Do you think the maybe your favorite corps might just be the Cavaliers, but you aren't connecting with them this season?

It is not about a favorite corps. I personally do not have a favorite corps.

ok lets turn this around on you.

when you marched, were there not certain judges you wanted to see and didn't want to see?

ONE: It is not about me - read the first post. I do not think there is or was a problem. I asked people to convince me one way or another because I hear both sides.

TWO: I truly do not have a corps in the fight. I am neutral.

THREE: favoritism is corruption

as for things evolving - some things evolve to "Death".

Some people here don't have a corps they can call "their corps" believe it or not. lookaround.gif

AMEN

And let me clarify favoritism is corruption statement because I am sure some will not get it.

THE Judges - LIKE IN LIFE & The LAW - must be impartial OR you have a serious problem.