BD - What to Look For?

Very possible. But I don't think variety of content and difficulty should be a small area.

My problem isn't that their concept isn't executed, it's that it's style over substance and you need a balance between both. Part of my problem is that BD only does enough to score good on the sheets and no more. They have mastered creating a show that will take maximum advantage of the scoring system. Admittedly, the fact that this type of show (and 1930 in 2009) can score so well is a problem with DCI, not the Blue Devils. The entire reason DCI moved away from the tick system in 1984 was because the innovators were getting punished. The system was only about error, and corps that were doing less but cleaner were being rewarded over the corps that were trying new, complicated, difficult things. And yet here we are again. The corps (plural) really pushing the envelope on the activity get very little credit for the intricacies of their programs and are punished for being dirtier than corps trying to do half as much. Undoubtedly the design staff in Concord is full of geniuses and their concepts are rock solid pure throughout. But their shows are like sandwiches that are almost all bread and no meat. It's tasty bread, but it's not very filling and it's all the same flavor.

I disagree with your conclusion, but agree with your argument. I think it applies to Crown, not BD. While Crown's shows the past several years have been flashy, impressive, and entertaining, I've ultimately found them derivative and similar, without much substance. To my eye, BD is constantly pushing the envelope and expanding the boundaries of what constitutes drum corps. They are the innovators of today, much how Garfield was in the early 80's, BD was in the mid-late 90's and Cavies were in the early 2000's.

• Like 4

Agreed. They make everything look so effortless and relaxed. The members in Crown, while achieving better than ever now, LOOK like they are having a difficult time executing. They look frantic and out of control and not very confident. BD members exude confidence and control - you can see it in their technique and on their faces.

This. It also helps that BD drill is written so that they can look good and expose the good technique. They don't have hardly any primary direction changes at fast tempo which pretty much anyone would look a little like garbage doing. It's smart drill writing with regard to the individual performer.

My problem isn't that their concept isn't executed, it's that it's style over substance and you need a balance between both. Part of my problem is that BD only does enough to score good on the sheets and no more. They have mastered creating a show that will take maximum advantage of the scoring system. Admittedly, the fact that this type of show (and 1930 in 2009) can score so well is a problem with DCI, not the Blue Devils. The entire reason DCI moved away from the tick system in 1984 was because the innovators were getting punished. The system was only about error, and corps that were doing less but cleaner were being rewarded over the corps that were trying new, complicated, difficult things. And yet here we are again. The corps (plural) really pushing the envelope on the activity get very little credit for the intricacies of their programs and are punished for being dirtier than corps trying to do half as much. Undoubtedly the design staff in Concord is full of geniuses and their concepts are rock solid pure throughout. But their shows are like sandwiches that are almost all bread and no meat. It's tasty bread, but it's not very filling and it's all the same flavor.

This is why I loved Cadets last year with Angels and Demons. Perfect blend of innovation, difficulty, and just great drum corps.

[/b]

I disagree with your conclusion, but agree with your argument. I think it applies to Crown, not BD. While Crown's shows the past several years have been flashy, impressive, and entertaining, I've ultimately found them derivative and similar, without much substance. To my eye, BD is constantly pushing the envelope and expanding the boundaries of what constitutes drum corps. They are the innovators of today, much how Garfield was in the early 80's, BD was in the mid-late 90's and Cavies were in the early 2000's.

Garfield at least kept the audience in mind with their shows, and not just their alumni. The only thing I see that the 2 are alike is that both were able to master at a high level better than most out there.

They don't have hardly any primary direction changes at fast tempo which pretty much anyone would look a little like garbage doing. It's smart drill writing with regard to the individual performer.

Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. It's impressive that the performers can lead an audience member to believe that though.

[/b]

Can you elaborate a little on what BD has been doing the last few years that is so innovative? Honest question, no sarcasm or hater attitude. I've asked it before here on DCP, and no one seems to know the answer (judging purely from the responses). It's almost as if someone said that their shows have been game changers, and everyone else just repeats that blindly without ever saying or realizing why.

It's not so much that BD is cleaner as that BD's technique is mindboggling good. Don't try to watch what shapes they're (not) making, watch the feet. Watch how they carry their bodies while moving. Watch the consistency from performer to performer on the move. It's very impressive.

Great answer (not that the others weren't, of course :) That is something that I can look for on Sat.!

I have no issues with the electronics, when they are used to enhance. But I draw the line when I can't even pay attention to the show because of all the narration over the top.....and this show, while they execute to perfection, blah,blah,blah, is so hard to watch becasue of the narration. I agree with the poster who said it is nothing but WGI.

I am a trader as my profession. My brain does all the heavy lifting for my job. When I go to a drum corps show, I want to enjoy the music, and be amazed at how the performers master the entire show. What I don't want is to have to think as hard as I do at work to understand what they are trying to tell me. Why? Because then it is work....which is what I was trying to get away from when I went to the drum corps show in the first place!!!

And for the record, I am not a BD hater. I have loved them from my first viewing back in 1977.