Lucas Oil

That is not correct. The floor drainage was cut long before the plans for DCI to sign their contract. The Indianapolis news stations all completely and accurately reported this budget cut accurately before the announcement was made to hold Finals week here... now whether or not they were misinformed, or simply not aware of the drainage issue, that is a different issue. I know what I heard, and the fact it was brought up as this big surprise to DCI makes me laugh.

Regardless, there are numerous events held at the stadium with the roof open (non-NFL), even with chances for rain! And wild temperatures... 50-85 degrees.

The Colts themselves even had a gametime temp of 53 one weekend.

My point is, there should be no reason for concern on days like today where every meteorologist across a span of 300 miles outside of Indianapolis is agreeing that this area will see mild temps and sunshine today.

Again... minutes to close the roof.

"Best effort to open the roof" is far from reality in DCI's mindset right now. But it sure as #### appeased the masses when that press release came out, didn't it?

I like you Mike, but you don't live here in Indianapolis. You know as well as I do that Region Rats don't have the Indianapolis news, especially stuff about Lucas Oil Stadium. :)

I raised the same point in another thread two days ago that you did here that today would be THE FIRST day in four years of quarters/prelims, semis, finals where the weather would be suitable for opening the roof and suggested that it just might happen today, but someone else responded that two years ago the corps directors ruled that it would never be done for the first on a finals night--they feared it would screw up the acoustics of the shows.

I understand the point about key people knowing that drainage had been cut before the deal was announced--that doesn't mean that they were being deceptive because they knew they'd never open the roof. I don't think it was thought through that thoroughly at the time.

Edited by Peel Paint

Correction: That is an opinion, not a fact.

It was expected that the roof would be open during the time that Lucas Oil Stadium was still being constructed. I was at the social function with VIPs in Madison when Dan announced he was heading to Indianapolis the next day for the big public announcement.

After we got into the stadium, reality took on a different dimension. (The lack of floor drainage, which was cut due to budget concerns...the curtains that got added across a larger expanse across the back...)

You mentioned that 95% of the shows are held in outdoor stadiums. That is correct. (Might even be higher, since the only indoor venues are the Alamo Dome, the Georgia Dome and Lucas Oil Stadium.) However, the corps staffs now have it figured out how to perform in Lucas Oil Stadium. I believe that opening the roof on them would mess with all the tinkering they've done to exploit the conditions to which they have become accustomed.

I absolutely respect your passion and your opposing opinion. I just share an opinion that is contrary. Please enjoy the performances no matter what is overhead.

Mike, really? Are you suggesting tha the other 98percent of show fans outdoors are not getting the full product because shows are tweaked for LOS?

I feel IMComguy hovering to show us the report where he thinks DCI promised to be opening the roof as much as possible for championships. I vaguely remember the discussion he's referring to, but IMComguy: that doesn't make DCI "outright liars." It means they changed their mind. Calling them liars means you can show us that they knew they'd never be opening the roof when they said that, and that there was deliberate deception on the point. I don't think you can show that.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=93fcb4e3-7af8-4750-a505-38490654756a

"It is DCI’s expectation at this point in time, that whenever the weather allows, the roof will be kept open."

Again, do tell exactly WHAT is not allowing them to do so today? The fact that as I type this at 3:00 PM on Finals day it is 75 degrees and sunny?

If they are not liars, they are deceivers then, and an organization that has backtracked into complacency because some people are now just accepting it for what it is. I, on the other hand, know I am among many people who feel they should at least TRY, and give an effort to see what it would be like with the roof open. They did, afterall, say as shown above, that "whenever the weather allows, the roof will be kept open."

Just sayin...........

Mike, really? Are you suggesting tha the other 98percent of show fans outdoors are not getting the full product because shows are tweaked for LOS?

No, not at all; but you know once the corps get into Indy, they start tweaking for the final shows. (Perhaps a little less bass drums here and there, for example.)

It did rain in 1972 @ Whitewater - ask the Kingsmen - it was a good omen for them after CYO Nationals in Boston.

As for Lucas - I hate the accoustics - but I love the everything about this venue otherwise. First time visiting - the architecture all around is great - most hotels have footbridges that connect to the Convention center and you never have to walk outdoors.

I like the vendors being indoors at Lucas - very easy to mingle around.

It was surreal to walk on the field for the ageout ceremony. Even better to hear great soloists from the middle 1970's perform their solos again. And if you missed the 40th anniversary alumni party on Friday evening after the semis - it was excellent !!!!

It's not the DCI that I marched in, but nothing in this world is that same as it was in the middle 1970s.

I like you Mike, but you don't live here in Indianapolis. You know as well as I do that Region Rats don't have the Indianapolis news, especially stuff about Lucas Oil Stadium. :)

My point was those at the top of DCI did not lie, as you had mentioned...that's all I was getting at. Saying they lied is a big leap, IMHO.

"It is DCI’s expectation at this point in time, that whenever the weather allows, the roof will be kept open."

Exactly! You answered your own question. At that point in time, it was DCI's expectation that the roof would be opened when weather allowed.

That point of time was years ago. At that point in time, I still thought I had a chance with Halle Berry. At this point in time, I realize she's not about to request a lifting of the restraining order.

No, not at all; but you know once the corps get into Indy, they start tweaking for the final shows. (Perhaps a little less bass drums here and there, for example.)

This is absolutely true. Drums get tuned differently, pit and electronics levels get re-balanced, and other little changes are made.

Oh. Yes, I agree. In fact, consistency of venue was high on the list as benefits.

Again, do tell exactly WHAT is not allowing them to do so today? The fact that as I type this at 3:00 PM on Finals day it is 75 degrees and sunny?

If they are not liars, they are deceivers then, and an organization that has backtracked into complacency because some people are now just accepting it for what it is. I, on the other hand, know I am among many people who feel they should at least TRY, and give an effort to see what it would be like with the roof open. They did, afterall, say as shown above, that "whenever the weather allows, the roof will be kept open."

Just sayin...........

Calling DCI deceivers is no different than calling them liars.

You're overplaying your hand much like a talk radio host being overly dramatic and accusatory for effect.

Your document does not prove anything close to a deliberate effort to deceive drum corps fans about the plans. Just because they have not lived up to your expectations doesn't make them liars. To prove that you need a document that shows they knew they would never be opening the roof when they said this.