An Open Letter to DCI

Am I alone?  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Do I agree with the OP?

• Completely. I'm taking time off, too.
    • Yes, but I still love enough of DCI to stick around a bit and see if anything changes.
    • Absolutely not. DCI is great and I support them wholeheartedly.
    • Not really, things have changed for the worse, but I don't think they're as bad as he says.
    • No, things have gotten better, but there are still a few things I'd like DCI to tweak.

Ironically, at the Cabaret Voltaire, in Zurich, the audience routinely attacked the performers during their on stage performances nightly. So in straying with the concept of the original artistic movement, it is reasonable to allow the DCI audience to express their opinion regarding the Blue Devil's show each night.

Not exactly following. BD is doing a show inspired by DaDa and the creative philosophies and movements that were sort of centered around Cabaret Voltaire, but it is very far away from what would have actually played there during the time period of the origin of the DaDa movement. BD's show is to DaDa what the Luxor in Vegas is to Giza.

Anyway, I'd personally dig it more if there was no judging at all.... no rules at all. Just seems strange to judge art. It would be like going into an art gallery and assigning a numerical value to each painting or sculpture. Kind of odd and arbitrary. But... no chance of that ever changing, so, why even mess with it?

• Like 1

Imo, the blue stars moving up had a lot less to do with any of that and a lot more to do with staff hires, a well executed plan all the way from 03 to make the WC move, and a generally continuously positive recruiting trend from 04 through 10, brought on by increased performance level each year(not uniforms as much). One block on top of the other and various pieces replaced as they grew past them (as will happen when you move up performance levels that quickly, a portion of the staff gets 'maxed out' and must be upgraded), as opposed to big dramatic overhauls. Watched from outside maybe it comes across as radical change, but it was more piecemeal from inside, at least from my perspective.

Recruiting trend is the key point. If they had the old school style that they held on to for so long, they would not have had that positive recruiting trend. Kids don't want to pay to participate in old school reenactments.

Recruiting trend is the key point. If they had the old school style that they held on to for so long, they would not have had that positive recruiting trend. Kids don't want to pay to participate in old school reenactments.

Except kids were jumping on not because blue stars were doing anything new\radical... but because they (we) were just doing things better than before.

That's all well and good, if it happens in a vacuum.

But in DCI it doesn't.

Next year -- especially if it wins -- you are going to see the effects of BD and their faux Dada show, just like the art world did.

"Artists and writers returned home at the end of the war to Paris, where Tzara was spending his time spreading Dada about society. Artists saw this new art all around them, and took this chaos, this absence of meaning, and began to apply it to their own works. Dada quickly became popular, terrifying the initial founders that Dada’s deep-seated moral valuenessless may be drowned out by the vain, shallow pointlessness of society. Rather than reflecting an anger against society, it threatened to focus on silly, trivial issues."

https://duchamp5-modernliteratureandthearts.wikispaces.com/DADA

Jetpacks and hobby horses, oh my.

Yes-- but, I think pointless copying of this concept would lead to abject disaster for those stupid enough to try it. Many tried to copy the Cavies' approach to the activity, and failed during the Cavies' purple patch of success.

Now, might we see more attempts at 'performance art?' A loaded question. And one which I think audiences need to genuinely react to what they see, if they like it or not, for the very reasons stated here on this thread. You move into that realm, you should expect the same kids of reactions, both incredibly positive, or even virulently negative.

Blatant copying, and learning from what what someone did to suceed and trying to apply those lessons to your own organization are two different things. What should people take from the Blue Devils this year?

Perform with an insane level of quality. Perform with skillful design coordination and meet the objective you set with your program in terms of what you're trying to achieve. Get great kids. Get great people to work with them. Work hard. Read the DCI sheets carefully, and try to be ***innovative*** within your own brand.

What should they NOT do? Think Dada is the total and only answer and try to generate their own theatres of the absurd. Modern Art has been an influence for Decades on the activity whether anyone knows it or not. George Zingali told me this himself in 1984 at a Clinic when he specifically cited Duchamp (Also part of the Dada movement!) as one of his major influences on his then radical design approaches.

The corps that are having more success of late, take note- have generally stayed within their established brands and stayed within what their identity is. Crossmen are back in finals with a show that falls well within their branding. Scouts, most definitely. Phantom, you bet they're doing what they have done for decades... Cavies went and shed their brand this year- and the 10th or so in visual instead of the top 3 they normally get-- well, there's part of their problem.

• Like 1

A few thoughts to toss onto the pile. Take them, leave them, they're the words coming out of my brain right now. Also, what I say is not directed at a specific person, unless I name or specifically reference them (such as saying "The OP").

I'm very new to drum corps. 2012 was my first season getting really into it and following it closely. It was also my first year marching in it. Modern drum corps is what I fell in love with. Looking at 2011's shows was a big part of getting me into it, motivating me to join. I guess you could call me a "Zygote", as Mr. Boo put it. Being so new, I'm not leaving any time soon. But to each their own. And that, I think, is a key phrase here, "To each their own." Everybody's a different person. We don't all like the same things (just look at all the Crown vs. BD arguments). I love drum corps today, some don't. That's fine. A simple difference of opinion on a matter or a few does not qualify the rest of a person.

Perspectives, there's a lot of them. Just in this thread there's a multitude. Many here are fans that have been around for a long time, what some would call "Dinosaurs". Some are like me, new. One person's perspective does not necessarily speak for another's. What you think is not necessarily what another person thinks, nor should you try to shape another person's to fit your own based simply on the assumption that your opinion must be superior because it is yours. Some see drum corps as dead/dying, some don't. What is it, then? I guess it's what you make of it.

And enough philosophy, now to the matter at hand here. I'm not a big fan of BD's show. I prefer Crown's, I personally (emphasis on this being my opinion) think it's a better design, it connects to me more, I enjoy it more. The first time I saw BD live this year, my thought afterwards, was, "huh". The first time I saw SCV and Phantom live, I got chills at moments like SCV's opening Jupiter hit and Phantom's rendition of "Nessun Dorma". Even now, I'm not quite sure what to make of BD's show. It's certainly something that hasn't been done before. People are talking, discussing, analyzing, debating, arguing, pondering, etc. I think that's part of what they were going for. Whether it's positive or negative, they've made an impression and established the show as something distinctive. It's an interesting experiment as a one-time thing, but as a continuing theme, I don't know. My concern about DCI's future is if it loses variety. If all corps were to end up doing what BD did this year, it would be just as bad for me if they all started doing what Phantom does. Part of the interest for me in DCI is the variety of shows, and that's what I think is part of what is necessary to keep it alive and thriving. Every corps doing the exact same kind of show would be boring. This year had plenty of variety. The 1-2 spots, BD and Crown, two completely different shows. Same with 3-4/Phantom and Cadets, 5-6/SCV and Bluecoats, etc. I don't necessarily look for something specific out of a corps. I want to see whatever it is they have to offer me, then I'll decide what I think.

As for synths, singing, etc., I don't mind them in moderation if they add something to the show. Used right, such things can add texture and layers to the sound, or create a moment. I have my doubts about such uses as BD's and Cavaliers' this year. Not every corps uses such things, some do to small extent. It's something that's there, and not likely to go away. Like with variety of show type/style, as long as every corps doesn't start to use it the same ways and amounts, I'm fine with it being there. The show I marched this year had a moment that featured a synth.

Through all of this, I will always have a deep respect for the performers who commit themselves to all these different shows and contribute to giving us a unique and wonderful product. What they do is something not many can or ever will.

Edited by tubabeard42
  • Like 2

Really? Then how come kids join Civil War re-enactor groups? They do, you know.

What they really join a corps for is because they want to be part of an an organization that takes things more seriously than their HS program does. They want to push themselves to the limit and find out how great they can be and how much they can learn and grow from the experience. They want to experience excellence. I would contend most young people who join and want to join today would feel this way- the same way I felt when I joined as a 16 year old in 1979.

Innovation and possibly being 'hip' is only a part of that formula. Not all of it.

Really? Then how come kids join Civil War re-enactor groups?

Because Renaissance Faires and Star Trek conventions alone aren't quite enough to ensure a kid will remain a virgin until 40? :)

Drum corps is geeky... marching band is even more so.... but Civil War Reenactment is a whole other level.

What they really join a corps for is because they want to be part of an an organization that takes things more seriously than their HS program does. They want to push themselves to the limit and find out how great they can be and how much they can learn and grow from the experience. They want to experience excellence. I would contend most young people who join and want to join today would feel this way- the same way I felt when I joined as a 16 year old in 1979.

Innovation and possibly being 'hip' is only a part of that formula. Not all of it.

It's a completely different game these days. Marching band and winter programs are worlds different than they were in the 70's. Some of these programs are more serious than some drum corps and many are much more innovative. Kids really aren't keen on taking a step back. Try forming a retro drum corps... see how many kids you get to even show up at all.

• Like 1

New fans?

Sure there are new fans, but the overall fan base is declining as we uber-geezers who supported this activity for the last 40 years or so are rapidly going away either by choice or natural attrition.

There will never be as many fans as there used to be, because the activity is no longer as accessible as it used to be.

DCI brags about 17,000 fans at finals last year.

My age-out year in 81 there were close to 40,000 fans at finals IN CANADA.

DCI is not drum corps, and has never been drum corps.

DCI is a corporation with a flawed business model-- much like a pyramid-- and I think it's crumbling before our eyes.

I completely disagree. My age out year was 83 so i have similar perspective and experience to you. The fact of the matter is that we are on the declining edge of the baby boom and via choice, or natural selection there will be fewer fans as the population bubble of baby boomers continues to pass us by. It's pretty simple actually.

Although it could be some BS conspiracy from DCI to push the last of you guys... I'm of the same age bu

t exclude myself from your ranks because I really love where DCI is going!

I agree in most part with what Jules is saying. I have been a part of this activity from performer, staff member, to fan since 1978. And, I am deeply concerned in the direction that the adjudicators are allowing the type of shows be rewarded as state of the art for the activity. I miss drum corps in all of its rich tradition of marching precision and crowd pleasing shows. It's no longer drum corps. It is BOA, WGI and Avante Guard now. Something needs to change!

• Like 1