The 2000s Crown and Madison

Congratulations to all the 2012 DCI competing corps. Last night was an amazing show! Before Crown came on, people sitting around us were talking about how Crown was a "perennial fan favorite" and "always in the hunt". This contrasted with what they said about Madison, which was more along the lines of ""new to Finals". NEW FAN ALERT!!!!

Lost on them was the historical greatness of Madison, and I couldn't stop thinking about how they could have been clueless about the past. I looked, and now I get it.

Here are the placements of CC and MS since 2000.

MS: 10, 11, 14, 8, 8, 6, 9, 15, 12, 15, 10, 10, 9

CC: 11, 10, 16, 10, 7, 7, 8, 6, 4, 2, 4, 4, 2

Fans who have only been around for half a decade or less haven't seen what old school fans have seen from Madison. What they have seen is a consistent progression by Crown. The question is, what does Madison need to do to return to pushing the elite corps, and can they.

As Madison prepares for the 75th Anniversary show, I hope they can figure out how to move up the ranks. I also hope DCI can crown a first time champion in 2013...no pun intended!

They are already doing exactly what they need to do.

• Like 3

I would like to see Madison go back to white pants and put the silver slash on the uniform (the one with red and green stripes in it). Musically I want to hear Ballet in Brass, MaCarther Park, and maybe something new, perhaps a rock-ballad that they can use as their closer.

Overall, I'd say they are doing what they need to. The quality is getting better. You're right, many of the folks who attend DCI shows today do not know of the Scouts history, or of Drum Corps history. When I was first introduced to the activity Madison was a BIG BOY. Top 5 annually. Garfield was not. The Cavaliers were not. It was BD, SCV, Phantom, Madison, and 27th Lancers. The Bridgemen jumped in their in 1980.

Madison's average competitive placement slipped some in the 90s, but their entertainment meter was skyrocketing. 1995 might have been the most audience friendly show ever seen. They must have received 5 to 6 TRUE standing ovations at semifinals and finals in Buffalo, NY. It was seriously a rock concert. I haven't seen anything like that since. If a real baby had hit the field after that show, nobody would have been surprised. :-) I was ready for a cigar after that show.

I would like to see Madison go back to white pants and put the silver slash on the uniform (the one with red and green stripes in it). Musically I want to hear Ballet in Brass, MaCarther Park, and maybe something new, perhaps a rock-ballad that they can use as their closer.

Overall, I'd say they are doing what they need to. The quality is getting better. You're right, many of the folks who attend DCI shows today do not know of the Scouts history, or of Drum Corps history. When I was first introduced to the activity Madison was a BIG BOY. Top 5 annually. Garfield was not. The Cavaliers were not. It was BD, SCV, Phantom, Madison, and 27th Lancers. The Bridgemen jumped in their in 1980.

Madison's average competitive placement slipped some in the 90s, but their entertainment meter was skyrocketing. 1995 might have been the most audience friendly show ever seen. They must have received 5 to 6 TRUE standing ovations at semifinals and finals in Buffalo, NY. It was seriously a rock concert. I haven't seen anything like that since. If a real baby had hit the field after that show, nobody would have been surprised. :-) I was ready for a cigar after that show.

And some of us remember the Boston Crusaders, Chicago Cavaliers, and the Caspar Troopers battling it out for the National Title Championship when there were a few hundred Corps nationwide. And all 3 of Corps in the 60's won a few national titles. This was before snybody heard of the Santa Clara Vanguard, Blue Devils, and where Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment, Cadets,etc were in back of Boston, Cavs, Royal-Airs, Blessed Sac.

Edited by BRASSO

I also hope DCI can crown a first time champion in 2013...no pun intended!

So you'd be opposed to Madison taking their third title in 13?

So you'd be opposed to Madison taking their third title in 13?

Not at all!! But 9th to 1st is a big jump. Like the poster who mentioned drum corps before BD, SCV, etc., I have entrenched ideas of the top corps, but I would be happy to see Coats, Crown, or BAC win someday.

If Madison wins next year, that would be historical and incredible. I just don't see it happening.

Top 5 is absolutely within reach.

Congratulations to all the 2012 DCI competing corps. Last night was an amazing show! Before Crown came on, people sitting around us were talking about how Crown was a "perennial fan favorite" and "always in the hunt". This contrasted with what they said about Madison, which was more along the lines of ""new to Finals". NEW FAN ALERT!!!!

Lost on them was the historical greatness of Madison, and I couldn't stop thinking about how they could have been clueless about the past. I looked, and now I get it.

Here are the placements of CC and MS since 2000.

MS: 10, 11, 14, 8, 8, 6, 9, 15, 12, 15, 10, 10, 9

CC: 11, 10, 16, 10, 7, 7, 8, 6, 4, 2, 4, 4, 2

Fans who have only been around for half a decade or less haven't seen what old school fans have seen from Madison. What they have seen is a consistent progression by Crown. The question is, what does Madison need to do to return to pushing the elite corps, and can they.

As Madison prepares for the 75th Anniversary show, I hope they can figure out how to move up the ranks. I also hope DCI can crown a first time champion in 2013...no pun intended!

And...Here's what I wrote on the Madison thread regarding our similar contemplation regarding, "what's it going to take for Madison to advance"???

"Congratulations Men!...Once again, a great year to be a Madison Scout! I can’t help though but to be contemplative...10th to 9th? So what was it that kept the program from moving further then I know was expected by many this year? Was it the new judging element? Was it design? Arranging? Concept?...What was it? It's obvious that the crowd deeply loves the Scouts, but what will it take to make larger strides upward? One observation and this may only be my perception, but did Madison’s "guard" element take a step backwards this year? Or, did every other guard just get a lot better? It was quite exciting through half of the summer to see how well Madison’s percussion were doing...but then what happened, did slotting take over? In my era, we were either winning top brass trophies, or we were consistently one of the top brass lines year in and year out...As a matter of fact, as a whole, I don't know if we ever finished the season out of the top 5 (my memory may need some help here). I'm left scratching my head, what will it take? I believe the most consistent comment I read or heard this summer, is that people loved the beginning and the end of the show, but that the middle "mash-up" never meshed and left many a fan wanting more or confused. I think most were expecting the Madison ball to be advanced quite a bit further this summer. I trust though that the Men of Madison had a wonderful summer and that they'll never forget this experience and no matter the outcome, their brotherhood and the Madison way transcends everything else. Here's to hoping that these men come back in droves next season to experience the 75th anniversary show. Here's to hoping that Jim Mason and crew have something magical up their sleeves and make the correct adjustments! Thank you Madison...And now, on to a wonderful 75th!"

Madison and Crown shared a very similar trend up until 2007. They both spiraled out of Finals in 2002, and surged back very strong in 03 and did their best to become competitive......then Madison took a left in 2007 and had to "reboot" the system. Crown kept surging ahead.

I think it's funny one of my colleagues the other day said that his students have NEVER known Crossmen as a Finalist corps and they can barely recall a time when Blue Stars were not in Finals. Oh how the times they keep on changing!

I think it's funny one of my colleagues the other day said that his students have NEVER known Crossmen as a Finalist corps and they can barely recall a time when Blue Stars were not in Finals. Oh how the times they keep on changing!

Wow, that can make a guy feel old...

• Like 1