General Effect

As a disclaimer, I'm not asking as a rhetorical question. It's occurred to me today that, despite decades in DCI, I still cannot fully explain what it is or how it's actually determined.

There's no doubt that GE is the most important caption to win in order to secure a title. In the last 10 years, 3 corps have won despite not winning overall Visual (2004 cavaliers - 2nd, 2008 Phantom - 3rd, 2011 Cadets - 2nd) or overall Music (2009 Blue Devils - 2nd, 2006 Cavaliers - 2nd, 2004 Cavaliers - 2nd). The only corps to win without winning GE since 2003 was Phantom in 2008, which is also the only true upset at Finals in almost 30 years. (and if BD hadn't been dropped to 5th by two drum judges that night, it'd be 10 out of 10 title winners taking GE) But, that's neither here nor there. Point is, championship corps win GE.

So what exactly is GE?

It's clear, based on statements for years here, that it's not really related to audience reaction. Audience engagement is a term I've seen used. What exactly does that mean? What are we gauging here? How does that relate to visual GE - how does drill exactly engage the audience?

I guess I'm hoping - someone that's had to judge this (Jeff?) or seen the DCI sheets - what are they looking at? I think it's pretty clear that GE is the most *not* clear of the captions, which is a bit of a concern as it's the one that most often determines the champion.

Mike

GE is imagination at work...

but honestly... it is opinion column and opinions are hard to define.

And as an aside, Jeff (Ream) has used the term triad a bunch, which I get - 3 pronged approach. But what is the triad?

Mike

In the traditional approach to GE judging, the caption has three "sides" of a triad. The are:

Emotional

Artistic

Aesthetic

Effect judges consider the content and achievement of effects that fit into one of the three categories (or two, or all three). It's not necessary to have a balance of all three, but good shows do contain effects that fall into all three legs of the triad.

In the traditional approach to GE judging, the caption has three "sides" of a triad. The are:

Emotional

Artistic

Aesthetic

Effect judges consider the content and achievement of effects that fit into one of the three categories (or two, or all three). It's not necessary to have a balance of all three, but good shows do contain effects that fall into all three legs of the triad.

WOW... three words that describe each other. Another reason it is so difficult.

I know professional art critics that could not distinguish between the three.

WOW... three words that describe each other. Another reason it is so difficult.

I know professional art critics that could not distinguish between the three.

They are clearly defined on judges training material. Defined as applies to the activity, anyway.

They are clearly defined on judges training material. Defined as applies to the activity, anyway.

I guess I find the humor in this because the winning corps won with a DADA SHOW. Which the movement itself is anti-aesthetic, anti- emotional & anti-art which is defined by the DADA manifesto.