How to pay for all the new bells and whistles!

I am not sure you get the point.

It is not all about "JUST DRUM CORPS". Small ensembles, training, instructors for those same band organizations, marching band, private lessons, giving the knowledge learned over the summer back to the community. You are thinking to small and focused.

OR... if everyone is using your same logic, I too will become a doomsdayer for DCI.

No need for that. Those ideas are all fine. Just that when you said a corps should give their community "everything they got", and "it does not end that finals night in August", for some reason I thought that local performances might be part of that. And they can be, just not with "everything they got" once the band camps are underway.

• Like 2

No need for that. Those ideas are all fine. Just that when you said a corps should give their community "everything they got", and "it does not end that finals night in August", for some reason I thought that local performances might be part of that. And they can be, just not with "everything they got" once the band camps are underway.

No problem. I think the "shut it down" because tour is over is an issue with some corps. The business side never shuts down and there are ways that they can keep the business alive during band season.

The corps on top are treating it this way - a year round activity. It is a great example to follow.

• Like 1

Other corps are simply expanding beyond Drum Corps into other ventures that keeps a sustainable base for their members and their income. Here are some examples of corps that get criticized for not giving back to drum corps - they do but through organizations within their own community.

YEA 2011:

Income 4, 405,454

Expenses 4,158,428

This includes these organizations:

The Cadets

Cadets - 2

USBands

Urban Arts Center

Blue Devils 2010

Income 3,533,576

Expenses 4,142,878 = (609,372) -

A corps

B corps

C corps

Open Guard

A Guard

BD Entertainment

Diablo Wind Symphony

Chamber winds

SCV 2010

Income 3,188,751

Expenses 2,766,126 = +422,625

A corps

B corps

Winter Guard

Winter Percussion

Dance Company

Academy of drumming

Startistic Expressions

And I'll pick the Troopers out of a hat because I know the are truly community based:

TROOPERs 2010

Income $966,955

Expenses $929,996

The Troopers

Not sure how this would work...

I've always argued that one thing that would level the playing field to a degree would be for someone (DCI, I suppose) to step in and put an END to the "freebies" that corps are receiving from the companies. Meaning free uniforms, free sticks, free heads, free instruments... whatever.

I know that some of the instruments/equipment/etc are given back to the companies and sold, but some of that stuff the corps keep as well... and then sell themselves to fans/bands.

Not sure how this would work...

I've always argued that one thing that would level the playing field to a degree would be for someone (DCI, I suppose) to step in and put an END to the "freebies" that corps are receiving from the companies. Meaning free uniforms, free sticks, free heads, free instruments... whatever.

I know that some of the instruments/equipment/etc are given back to the companies and sold, but some of that stuff the corps keep as well... and then sell themselves to fans/bands.

Sponsorship? was kind of the way I respond also.

There might be a way for DCI to legislate sponsorship but I do know it will not go away. This practice is a great investment for companies that give.

I will let you know that this works kind of like giving drugs to an addict. Give these future educators a free set of sticks and they may have a customer for life.

That is just a small example I know but this is the marketing idea behind it.

NOW... when it comes to large sponsors, there could be something "DCI" could do but it would not be advised. DCI could possibly burn a bridge or a great resource.

There are corps who have some great sponsor programs. This is great for both the corps and the Company. Conn-Selmer/King and BD is probably the most visable with System Blue. System Blue puts a well respected brand with a well respected brand. This is great branding and marketing. I do not see a way you can destroy that relationship without causing a hail storm of future issues.

I understand the sponsorship and the reasoning behind giving corps instruments and things to use, and then printing your "Crown plays our horns" ads or whatever.

Maybe it's just a case where promotional items should not be allowed to be sold by the corps when finished. Is there any difference between the 1970s/80s/90s when we went years and years on a set of G bugles? I would argue that today's instruments are likely more well-cared-for than they were back then. Just don't understand the need for brand new horns every year that (some of) the corps then turn around and sell, and then get new horns again the next year.

I suppose you take what's given, sure, and I understand that. But a sanctioning body is also supposed to sanction these things. I'm guessing (for example) Cascades aren't receiving a new set of horns every year and then selling them for $1000-$3000 a pop after the season.

Just saying. Like I said in my earlier post, there may not be a good answer. But it definitely creates a competitive imbalance.

I do know that there are some crazy lease/purchase/sell agreements on horns today. Those agreements get progressively better the further up the ranks you go.

Introduction of Bb horns caused us to see this with the horns but it was already happening with drums when I marched. (89-91) I cant comment on before then.

Back then we would purchase used horns from other corps so the activity kind of fed itself. Now they have the opportunity to sell to the general public. Bigger money for the corps and the manufacturers.

I actually think this lease/purchase/sell agreement is the true reason DCI went Bb/multikey.

I do not see this changing. Maybe first dibs of used horns at a lower price to other corps. That is kind of how it used to work. But that would also be forcing corps to loose revenue.

I dont know. I think that problem is hear to stay.

Why do discussions of corporate sponsorship always seem limited to music supply companies, Ie; Remo, Mapex, Yamaha, etc? Clearly there must be some savvy people running the corps or sitting on their boards (I hope, anyway). Why aren't these people out there beating down the doors of companies that produce many of the things that are used by every member? Sunscreen, igloo jugs, aerobed, knee braces, advil, dct blistex, febreeze, under armour-like clothing, silver polish, jeez the list goes on and on. Why aren't corporate sponsors like these plastered on the semi trucks of every corps small and large as they zig zag the country?

I don't think the answer is to share revenue from the top corps. They've built their organizations well. They should be used for others to learn from.

There are co-operatives that the corps use to help save costs. Also, sponsorships work both ways. They provide the corps with much needed equipment, and the sponsor capitalizes on the usage from a promotional and wearability/design/engineering perspective.

Much equipment in the marching activity has been refined because of drum corps. Horns, drums, guard equipment, and uniforms have come a long way because of our activity. As a result, more than just the corps has benefited because of this relationship.

Most things in life are competitive. Drum Corps is no different. The best only make us better. The idea of shared sacrifice and bounty may seem like a good idea, but in reality it would only spell doom and gloom for innovation and success.

We need more corps to be G7's!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1