Crossmen Audition Method

I can tell you that, for most corps, this is ABSOLUTELY the case. With the possible exception of the top few corps, I can assure you that when push comes to shove, the spots on the field go to the perspective members that show up, listen, do what they are told, are motivated to get better, and most of all, show good work ethic. Talent is great, but as someone who has taught before, most corps will take a motivated, teachable kid with little experience over the most talented d-bag EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Very few corps, especially in the brass line, are in a position to cut based on talent alone. It's great if your corps can, but it is very rare.

true..but also as someone involved in recent auditions add on ABILITY TO PAY ! :smile:

true..but also as someone involved in recent auditions add on ABILITY TO PAY ! :smile:

Crossmen have one of the best scholarship programs to help with financing.

• Like 2

Crossmen have one of the best scholarship programs to help with financing.

thats good because many corps suffer with dead beat members ..its great xmen have the means to even give schlorships.

I know of many , if not most corps , their contracts are being altered to have that 1st on the list

Edited by GUARDLING

So basically...here's the scenario. Kid walks into camp (at any corps). Doesn't have the best playing ability by any means. Has an outstanding work ethic and is a great listener. Can afford the costs and will do everything in his/her power to make it happen. Receives a contract? Sounds right to me based on what you guys have said.

So basically...here's the scenario. Kid walks into camp (at any corps). Doesn't have the best playing ability by any means. Has an outstanding work ethic and is a great listener. Can afford the costs and will do everything in his/her power to make it happen. Receives a contract? Sounds right to me based on what you guys have said.

guess depends who it is..I know for sure many will say no after this year. To many have been burned and if the work ethic is so good then I know many will say then go to work before you audition. if youre saying the person doesnt have a good trac record for paying why should anyone take a person like that on. If theres a trac record ( meaning they didnt pay others )they had a responsibility., not very fair , now is it

Edited by GUARDLING

you also need to realize that a lot of people cut themselves... they don't show up, or they show up in November and go "oh crap, look at all the people here" and don't come back, or they show up and feel like crap on Sunday morning because their entire body is sore and they think "wtf am I getting myself into"

And you probably figure this, but you can't just do everything in your power to make it happen, you actually have to get better. If the staff says you need better horn holding endurance or need to lose weight or need better lip slurs, you had better come to the next camp showing improvement. If you "worked hard" and didn't improve, then that isn't worth very much.

I would say your scenario is pretty accurate, but it will vary from corps to corps and season to season. Obviously the higher up the ranks you go, the pickier the staff can be about who they take, as a general rule.

Pretty much. As Guardling says, ability to pay is super important. Like, beyond anything else important. You don't have to pay up front (though that certainly can't hurt), but when it comes down to finalizing spots on the field, I guarantee you a kid that is paid up, or met all obligations to date, will get the preference over a more talented kid that hasn't.

It's a bigger factor that many realize, and it should be.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

Yeah, progress over time was always the way I was auditioned. Some times, there was a prepared piece, sometimes not. Some camps had an audition packet handed out before hand, others didn't. Progress was always the barometer though. I have since done exactly the same thing with all of my students. I'm interested in who is willing to put in the work over time, not who will work really hard for one audition, and phone in the rest of the season.

Sorry this is late, but I have signed up for the Crossmen camp this year, and the packet says to have short excerpts of 1 lyrical and 1 technical etude prepared. I don't know if this is what you all are referencing but I think it is.

Sorry this is late, but I have signed up for the Crossmen camp this year, and the packet says to have short excerpts of 1 lyrical and 1 technical etude prepared. I don't know if this is what you all are referencing but I think it is.

That's pretty typical. Just play two etudes or short excerpts that you are comfortable playing...that show off your playing in the best possible way. These don't have to be hard, just contrasting in style.